Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #41
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: How would you handle this...ebay situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Refuse the purchase and get paypal to reverse the charge then just wait until he re-lists the chassis and maybe you can buy it for less
He will just block him from bidding, easy fix for seller..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #42
Roadster62

If it really is that good I wouldn't risk loosing it for $120.00. HOWEVER once it is on your trailer explain to the SOB that payback is sometimes a bitch and you get to post FEEDBACK on eBay, NEGATIVE FEEDBACK! Then ask him if he really wants the $120.00? As a seller I know eBay anf PayPay take a fee he's a dope for not knowing. Let us know how things go. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery View Post
OK, I scored a nice looking original A running chassis on the e-bay the other day. Called the guy, he said he made a street rod out of an all original 30 tudor and wanted to get rid of the running chassis and all the other "junk", fenders, dash, interior parts etc because all he wanted was this cherry body. I said " OK, if you throw in all the extra stuff, I won't even make an offer, I'll pay full asking price with the Buy-It Now. He agreed and I offered an immediate deposit with the balance paid in cash in person. He said he'd trust me and would not sell it to anyone else and I can pay all cash on pickup. I again agreed. Then he called back and wanted it all on paypal, saying e-bay requires it that way. I said it only requires a deposit when buying cars, but he insisted, and again I agreed.
I paid in full with paypal. I called him today to arrange to pick it up tomorrow and he said "You cost me $120..that's what paypal took and you can pay me cash tomorrow !" I countered that I tried to pay him cash, but it was his idea to go with paypal. He said he wasn't aware of that and if I want the parts, I have to bring an extra $120.
I am a little upset that I have to pay his paypal fees that he insisted on using. I really want the chassis and parts, but feel a bit hosed if I give him an extra$120. So, before I travel 6 hours to retrieve my purchase, I'd like to know what you think. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #43
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
VERY VERY SIMPLE Once you get your goods you can report to Pay Pal that you were charged and additional 120.00 Pay Pal will reverse the fee as it is against policy,
Get a receipt that states the 120.00 charge and you are good...
Mark has it exactly right on this one. PayPal is all about buyer satisfaction and will screw a seller in a heartbeat if they think that the buyer is unhappy. Pay the clown his $120 and then file a claim with PayPal because it's completely against their policies to make the buyer absorb the fees. They'll lock his account up in a New York minute with all of his funds in there, and they won't release the funds to him until you've been reimbursed. They've been known to freeze accounts for far less legitimate reasons, and the fact that you struck the deal outside of eBay is irrelevant.

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #44
Jim Parker Toronto

If it was me, I would go, inspect the parts, pay the extra's, and load the trailer and then pull off his property. I feel that you want this deal to happen. Then I would threaten him with report to PayPal, and the smearing of his name on this and other sites, (Hamb), that he might visit. Be sure to follow through with this. He might cave in and do the right thing.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #45
Fred
BANNED

Negative F/B means nothing to some sellers as they are NOT every day sellers.. And to make it worse, even others could care less & keep right on buying...
Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #46
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I made the fatal mistake one time -- dealing with a local wrecking yard on some seats for my van. The guy was "trying" to stiff me after I had agreed to buy the seats by telling me that the brackets to mount them to the floor were extra. Because I wanted the seats, and I already had my check made out for the added cost and said something under my breath like I was getting ripped off for the added cost. He just handed me back my check and said that the seats weren't for sale.

Like others have said, if you want it, pay the extra, then wait till everything is loaded up and tied down and you are ready to leave before saying anything (if at all). You can always take it up with EB/PP after you get home.
Every junk yard I've dealt with was real nice........until they made their first million! Then they turn into real jerks. I worked at a yard for about 10 years and my boss was exactly the same way. After he made his first million he started treating the customers and employees like crap. A customer came in and wanted to buy the front clip for a Lincoln. The guy said he didn't have his tools along, so he'd stop back in 2 days and take it off. As soon as the customer walked out the door the boss crushed the car just ot piss off the customer.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #47
Keith True

I never got anywhere with a claim with paypal.I bought something for $4-$500,somewhere in there.I never got what I bought.I went back and forth with the guy,he didn't ignore me anyway.Wife had kicked him out,restraining order,couldn't get the parts,etc.I said fine,send my money back.That was already gone too.I filed a claim with paypal,they recovered $56. or so.When I asked about their buyer protection I was told they recovered everything they could from his account.Just by accident I had used my own credit card,not the paypal credit.My card company took the money from paypal.Paypal was extremely unhappy.At this point anything you do is going to end on a sour note.What do you suppose is going on in his head after reading all these suggestions?He IS reading this,he put the chassis on ebay because he felt he would get more money for it there than on here.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #48
Fred K-OR

If you want the stuff bad enough, pay him and get it overwith. Then try to bitch to PayPal and see if anything comes out of it. You can't fight "city hall".
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #49
Mike in Mass

Lots of great commemts . I guess we won,t know, till he posts again , on what happend . evil-bay is all about the fees , $ $ $ $ $ thats it ! . but I agree ,he should not pay the guys fees after he made him use paypal . as far as the feedback thing goes ..,just leave one word ,,,sad ,, an let everyone try to figure it out ...what goes around ,comes around ,,,he,ll get his mp
Mike in Mass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #50
68Chevelle

I deal a lot on ebay/ buy and sell with an emphasis on selling. Anything I sell on ebay is as follows, I pay the listing fee, the percentaged that ebay charges and all buyers are "supposed" to pay me with paypal. I accept money orders or cash in person and ebay can't do anything about that... The buyer I beleive pays for the paypal fee, I could be wrong, however, if I have to pay for the paypal fee it would come from my earnings through ebay but it has always been a small percentage and I haven't even noticed nor would complain about what they take out. They provide an easy service that is basically "as good as cash"... So in short pay pal does take a fee either from the purchaser or from the seller but it is a small percentage compared to the purchase price and $120 sounds like a substantial amount of money to owe the guy whom claims paypal charged him that. As far as I'm concerned he knew pay pal takes a certain amount of money when he lists on ebay and the minute he clicks the "list" button leaves all transactions and percentages taken from the final selling up to ebay and pay pal. As long as he didn't state that the buyer had to pay for the "pay pal" fee in his listing then you are not responsible for paying that fee! If he did state that in his listing/auction the item probably would have been taken off or ended by the ebay "crew" because they don't take too kind to things or stipulations like that... So I wouldn't pay the guy the extra $120 unless you feel that the parts are worth the extra cash and if not file a complaint and get your money back and wait for an honest seller to sell you some good parts...
68Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #51
Roadster62

I'm no math wiz, but I believe the PayPal fee is around $3.00 per every $100.00, as a seller I don't have a problem getting $97.00 instantly on a $100.00 sale vs. waiting for a Money Order in the old days. We don't know what the total was on the sale that started this thread but I think the $120.00 may be more than the actual PayPal fee.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #52
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
I'm no math wiz, but I believe the PayPal fee is around $3.00 per every $100.00, as a seller I don't have a problem getting $97.00 instantly on a $100.00 sale vs. waiting for a Money Order in the old days. We don't know what the total was on the sale that started this thread but I think the $120.00 may be more than the actual PayPal fee.
I think you're abought right as far as PayPal's fees, but I wonder if this guy's not figuring the $120 off of what PayPal AND eBay are charging him. That's a realistic number if he listed the chassis as a vehicle rather than parts (provided he's already passed his quota of 4 free listings per year on vehicles). Regardless, the eBay and PayPal fees are a cost of doing business and should have been figured into his price of the items up front.

I mean let's face it, you don't walk into McDonnalds to buy a burger and get told "Well, the burger is a buck but the utility company really put the screws to us this month so you owe us an extra 20 cents..." do you? Pay the guy his $120 and then file a claim with PayPal. Negative feedback on eBay doesn't mean squat, but I guarantee that once his PayPal account gets locked up and he can't get to his money (or can't continue to receive money from other folks) he'll get cooperative really quick!

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #53
Roadster62

IF the chassis in question was the one I found on eBay the seller has ZERO feedbacks, so he/she may be clueless to things, still starting life on eBay with a big negative wouldn't help future sales.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #54
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
IF the chassis in question was the one I found on eBay the seller has ZERO feedbacks, so he/she may be clueless to things, still starting life on eBay with a big negative wouldn't help future sales.
And as I had stated, Would he really CARE ??..
Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #55
32 hiboy

you come into this world when your born. common sense and your word. like the other's said, i would ask for my money back and walk away. let him sit on the parts. it is a manner of principle. i sell on ebay also and everyone knows it costs when you sell. he is running a scam for more mone. there is a full model a chassis on ebay right now. go for it.
32 hiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #56
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlshady View Post
Mark has it exactly right on this one. PayPal is all about buyer satisfaction and will screw a seller in a heartbeat if they think that the buyer is unhappy. Pay the clown his $120 and then file a claim with PayPal because it's completely against their policies to make the buyer absorb the fees. They'll lock his account up in a New York minute with all of his funds in there, and they won't release the funds to him until you've been reimbursed. They've been known to freeze accounts for far less legitimate reasons, and the fact that you struck the deal outside of eBay is irrelevant.

Deron
I agree. I had a buyer block my account because he didn't like how I cleaned a part once. I had to discount the sale price to get him to release the account. Even at that I lost the percentage on the original sale price compared to the final price.
File a claim after you pick up the parts and have paid him. Better yet tell him you will only pay the overage by pay pal and then file. This gives you a paper trail to use for proof.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #57
Ray Parson

do not let the extra parts get away for 120.00 bucks just pay and forget it forget him just go on with life if you dont get the parts you will be pissed at your self not a good move > if the parts are good <
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #58
jr-41ford

I do believe your PayPal deposit is non-refundable and part of your transaction is not part of the original eBay listing. eBay will not help you with the off-ebay transaction, PayPal may.

Either way, you're going to lose some money, maybe you can split the difference of the fee with the seller.

PayPal can either be good or bad when it comes to buying and selling. You need to read the fine print.

If you can get all your money back, that would be great. See if the seller will work with you.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #59
Roadster5040

I would be concerned that you are even going to get what you already paid for go pay the 120 put parts in transportation and then proceed to put a can of ass whipping on him (just kidding sounds good) I do a lot of eBay business. Do not mess with eBay as this is a deal between you and seller via PayPal if deal is bad go through PayPal and turn him into eBay with negative feed back. Deal will probably work out perfect for you chalk up the 120 as learning curve.
Roadster5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #60
Frank Miller

Ebay is the best game in town but a big ripoff. Much like Hershey. A friend sold some stuff for $805 including shipping and the total fees for ebay and paypal were over $100. Yes, they charge you for the shipping too. So, if you have some bulky items that cost as much to ship as you sold them for you are paying double the fees. There should be a class action suit but i think this was done because people were putting real cheap stuff with high shipping fees to avoid paying the commission. if you want the parts you will have to pay. if the part is advertised on ebayand you need it everyone will pay.