Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Steering Lash Question.....Calling John Charlton

John I hope you see this....

I got my draglink and tie rod inserts today so I decided to install them prior to performing your tip listed below What I found out once the draglink was off the car is the 4'' of play in my wheel is what it takes to get the pitman arm to move. When you wiggle the pitman arm from front of car to back you get about 1/8'' of play. When you move the wheel and hold the pitman arm that's the 4'' in the wheel. The play is there until you pin the wheel to the far left or right.

My question is will your tip (listed below) help me or is it time for a steering box rebuild?

Thank you in advance. I respect your knowledge on the subject and all I want to do is get the play out so I can drive safely down the road without fighting the wheel all the time.

Regards
Ron

You remove the 3 bolt diamond shaped plate .Put the steering wheel dead ahead . Remove the Pitman arm and push on the shaft until the sector just clears the worm . Rotate the steering wheel half a turn and push it back in and reassemble ,just that simple .

John in Suffolk County England .

Last edited by Model A Ron; 03-13-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
Model A Ron

Default Re: Steering Lash Question.....Calling John Charlton

If anyone else knows how to reduce play in the pitman arm please chime in..... I think I am going to pull the steering box for a rebuild but want to try everything and anything first that may help.

Thanks
Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
Mister Moose

I don't quite follow the tip you reference. From a 2 tooth sector perspective, try adjusting the box first, the sector play, sector mesh, and check for steering shaft end play. Also look carefully at sector bushing wear and play at the square pitman arm to sector shaft connection. (best done first by moving the end of the pitman arm, or better yet when all together and tires on ground)

Then decide if a rebuild is needed.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
I don't quite follow the tip you reference. From a 2 tooth sector perspective, try adjusting the box first, the sector play, sector mesh, and check for steering shaft end play. Also look carefully at sector bushing wear and play at the square pitman arm to sector shaft connection. (best done first by moving the end of the pitman arm, or better yet when all together and tires on ground)

Then decide if a rebuild is needed.
He has a 7 tooth box.