Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #1
KiWinUS

Default Amazing new stud extractor

46 studs out on 40 minutes. Only broke 2 & maybe could have avoided. 2 months ago they all felt like they would break. Soaked with Howes penetrant. Purchased this cheap $16 stud extractor off eBay $16 that you can use an impact on. Used my powerful Mac impact. I had to bore center of extractor all way through with 1/2 endmill as it’s hard. What amazing results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3A0B6119-8871-4365-99B2-C5F930862A2F.jpeg (84.8 KB, 994 views)
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Amazing new stud extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
46 studs out on 40 minutes. Only broke 2 & maybe could have avoided. 2 months ago they all felt like they would break. Soaked with Howes penetrant. Purchased this cheap $16 stud extractor off eBay $16 that you can use an impact on. Used my powerful Mac impact. I had to bore center of extractor all way through with 1/2 endmill as it’s hard. What amazing results.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
Mart

I have one like that and decided I didn't like it. I didn't like the way it is hard to detect when a stud is going to break. The part you turn keeps moving and it is hard to tell if it is the stud or the tool moving.
I didn't use an impact with mine, though. Maybe that makes a difference.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Hey Tony - what do you mean you had to bore the center all the way through? What is that all about?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:37 PM   #5
KiWinUS

It has a 3/8 drive square as well as the 15/16 external hex. I wanted it to grip at the base of stud as close to the deck as possible so I bored the center out with an end mill ( it’s hard). Now it drops all way down on stud. As well as impact I used a 1 7/16!wrench briefly on outer housing. Probably not needed with impact as once it starts to grip it keeps tightening its grip. It never slipped.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #6
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I have one like that and decided I didn't like it. I didn't like the way it is hard to detect when a stud is going to break. The part you turn keeps moving and it is hard to tell if it is the stud or the tool moving.
I didn't use an impact with mine, though. Maybe that makes a difference.
Mart.
Mart I believe the impact is a key part of why it worked so well. Particularly a powerful impact. I didn’t care if they broke as I will drill broken studs with 1/8th drill & then blow out with gas torch. Just too easy & barely heats the block or it’s threads.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
Mart

I think mine was the 1/2" drive version - it fits over without needing modification.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
Mart

Kiwi, any chance you could video that process? I tried it and made a real mess. But I have no oxy cutting experience.
If you do film it on your phone hold it sideways. It makes a big difference to viewing.

Mart.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #9
KiWinUS

Mart it may be a couple of weeks but sure I will try.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #10
Yoyodyne

What does the inside look like? Jaws like a drill chuck? Does it mark the threads, are the threads reuseable afterward?
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I've used one similar and liked it.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #12
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
What does the inside look like? Jaws like a drill chuck? Does it mark the threads, are the threads reuseable afterward?
Jaws similar to a drill chuck. On flathead studs the jaws do not get into the threads.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #13
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Tony - what do you mean you had to bore the center all the way through? What is that all about?
Dale I have just ordered a second stud extractor. When it arrives I will take pics before I modify and show both together.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #14
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Dale I have just ordered a second stud extractor. When it arrives I will take pics before I modify and show both together.
Much appreciate it!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Tony:

I'm glad to hear you had success with this unit. My buddy, who is a Snap On dealer, gave me one as well and he sells it on his truck. I did not have as good of luck as you did.

At times, it would over clamp and I would have to take a breaker bar to break it free. The studs I was using it on gave me the fight of my life, so that could have something to do it as well.

I still have it and will try it again on another project.

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #16
Craig CT

Quote:
Hi KiWinUS; Years ago when I was visiting Walt Dupont he showed me his extractor, I got one right away. It's been so long now I can't remember where I got it. It looks like a deep socket and is bored all the way through and will handle any length stud and is turned with wrench. They come in different diameters and is the best I've found. Soak studs in a fifty fifty mix of automatic trans fluid and Marvel Mystery oil. Don't use a plastic bottle. If you break a stud weld a washer to it with a smaller ID than the OD of the stud then weld a nut to the washer. Important you let it cool first and then just wrench it out. if the nut breaks loose just reweld it and it will work. Good luck, Craig.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #17
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig CT View Post
Hi KiWinUS; Years ago when I was visiting Walt Dupont he showed me his extractor, I got one right away. It's been so long now I can't remember where I got it. It looks like a deep socket and is bored all the way through and will handle any length stud and is turned with wrench. They come in different diameters and is the best I've found. Soak studs in a fifty fifty mix of automatic trans fluid and Marvel Mystery oil. Don't use a plastic bottle. If you break a stud weld a washer to it with a smaller ID than the OD of the stud then weld a nut to the washer. Important you let it cool first and then just wrench it out. if the nut breaks loose just reweld it and it will work. Good luck, Craig.
You can find them on ebay under roller stud extractors.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #18
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig CT View Post
You can find them on ebay under roller stud extractors.
Thanks Craig. I have a full set of that style extractor unfortunately you cannot use an impact on them. I believe the impact is the key to this new extractor working so well. After close to 50 years of messing with these classic old engines along with many others, I have tried most every penetrating fluid concoction and every imaginable way of removing broken studs. For me I have narrowed it down to Howes penetrant & a drill & gas torch for broken studs. Quick & easy with zero issues. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #19
Craig CT

Quote:
Thanks Craig. I have a full set of that style extractor unfortunately you cannot use an impact on them. I believe the impact is the key to this new extractor working so well. After close to 50 years of messing with these classic old engines along with many others, I have tried most every penetrating fluid concoction and every imaginable way of removing broken studs. For me I have narrowed it down to Howes penetrant & a drill & gas torch for broken studs. Quick & easy with zero issues. Thanks for your input.
Thanks KiWinUS; Ron told me a little about you some years ago, all good. Anyway thanks for sharing your experience and I'll have to try the Howes. So do you drill the stud heat it,let it cool and and then use an easy out?
Thanks again, Craig.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #20
Mart

Easy out? Easy, out? Wash yer mouth out! The last thing you want in a broked stud is an easy out.

Last edited by Mart; 03-02-2021 at 01:36 PM.