Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2023, 12:42 PM   #1
wcmill

Default Canadian or international parts ordering

Are there any active Canadians or international members on this forum that actively order items or parts from one of the many reputable American suppliers?
I don’t have issues paying currency differences, that’s life. My issue is all the additional charges…..duty, global shipping additions, unrealistic add ons to shipping etc.
For example, I attempted to order a Nu-Rex timing wrench from one of the popular suppliers. The wrench itself was 12 bucks US. On my door step 55 Canadian 😳. Just for clarity, Canadian dollar equivalent to 12 US dollars is about 16…that’s a conservative percentage. The rest is all the ridiculous add ons.
Is anyone aware of a company that has either an international or Canadian shipping program? This usually includes a standard overall fee that is much cheaper then what I’ve seen.
We used to have a fantastic outfit here in Alberta, but unfortunately he’s no longer in business.

Thanks in advance!
wcmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:38 PM   #2
wuga

Default Re: Canadian or international parts ordering

I use a company called KINEK. They have pickup points all along the Canadian border. They receive your shipment in the US from US companies and hold the parcel for you to pick up at your convenience. They currently charge US$6 per package. I drive to a KINEK in New York state about 4 times a year and I think I save $3-5000 annually. I don't know where you are in Alberta, I my daughter drives from Edmonton to Sweet Grass to get her stuff. Naturally, you pay GST when you cross the border.
Warren
wuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:58 PM   #3
wuga

As well, I have used a company called Cross Border Pickups during Covid when I could not cross the border. There appears to be other companies doing the same service. You just give your supplier an address given you by the service and they will get your parcels to a drop off point near you. They are very reasonable as well.
Warren
wuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:57 PM   #4
Synchro909

It used to be that we in Australia would have to pay a 10% GST on an order of over $A1,000. That included freight etc. Then someone in the Government thought what a good idea it would be to charge GST on every order. Now, if the vendor sells more than a fairy small minimum into Australia, they have to collect the tax and forward it to our Government, making them tax collectors for our Govt. If they failed to put in their monthly returns, they were in trouble with the US IRS. WHAT BS!
I don't think that genius in our Government even considered that many US suppliers would simply refuse to send an order to Australia. Consequently, we do not buy from those ones. I have found a good supplier who is small enough that they don't breach the threshold, hence they do not charge the tax but in most cases, it is levied when the parcel arrives here.
Many times, I have been searching for an item online but when I order, I am told that they don't deliver here - and that was before USPS stopped delivering here. (They have recently recommenced delivery, I am told but most of us have worked around them for so long that we don't need hem any more.)
For larger orders, particularly with heavy items, I have two companies that bring stuff over by the container load. They have depots in LA and Indianapolis. Handy but I have to wait several weeks. In one case, it was 18 months - slower than in the days of sailing ships.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:43 PM   #5
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmill View Post
Are there any active Canadians or international members on this forum that actively order items or parts from one of the many reputable American suppliers?
I don’t have issues paying currency differences, that’s life. My issue is all the additional charges…..duty, global shipping additions, unrealistic add ons to shipping etc.
For example, I attempted to order a Nu-Rex timing wrench from one of the popular suppliers. The wrench itself was 12 bucks US. On my door step 55 Canadian 😳. Just for clarity, Canadian dollar equivalent to 12 US dollars is about 16…that’s a conservative percentage. The rest is all the ridiculous add ons.
Is anyone aware of a company that has either an international or Canadian shipping program? This usually includes a standard overall fee that is much cheaper then what I’ve seen.
We used to have a fantastic outfit here in Alberta, but unfortunately he’s no longer in business.

Thanks in advance!
Can someone in the U>S> order and mail to you with no xtra charges?
Old 01-10-2023, 10:10 PM   #6
30Murray

You might want to contact The Old Car Center in Langley B C. They usually have a good stock of Model A parts, but lately have had supply issues, much like other vendors. My alternative is to get parts sent to a mailbox just across the border. I have very rarely had to pay any taxes when bringing them back myself.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 11:15 AM   #7
katy

wcmill, where are you located? There is no tax on antique car parts coming into Canada, just GST (sales tax). I've bought parts from Brattons, Snyders, Mikes, no extra charges. Giving your location would help answering your question.
Besides The Old Car centre, there's http://twisscarparts.ca/site/ in the Toronto area.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:20 PM   #8
wcmill

Thanks for all the replies and info……good stuff.
I’m located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
I have a brother in law that lives in Arkansas, might be a work around there perhaps.
By the looks of things nothing is going to happen fast.
I’m anxious to do my first start, but need a few things.
Dist cap, in tank fuel filter, ammeter gauge,etc.
wcmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:43 PM   #9
4bangerbob

I regularly get items shipped to At The Border Storage in Sweetgrass. Once I have several items I will drive down and pick up the parts and bring them across the border. I end up paying the 5% GST on the canadian dollar value of the goods.

There is also a company called DYK post based in Calgary that weekly? goes to Sweetgrass and import goods for you and brings back to Calgary/Edmonton. I have never used DYK Post so I cannot comment on their service.
4bangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:35 AM   #10
Cory Moffat

The Old Car Center in Langley has a brokerage and can get you all that stuff into Canada. Worked for me. Too bad George is gone
Cory Moffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:28 PM   #11
katy

There's a Model A club in Calgary.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #12
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Moffat View Post
The Old Car Center in Langley has a brokerage and can get you all that stuff into Canada. Worked for me. Too bad George is gone
A brokerage may get n your goods into Canada but you will pay brokerage fees, duty and HST. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote