Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2021, 02:52 PM   #21
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Mounting ‘Tubman’ condenser on dome distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Would it be possible to make a tab off this bolt and mount the condenser crosswise horizontally?
Thinking the same.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #22
34 fordor owner

Would this be okay to mount directly under the bolt? Or would I have to make a “lug” such as ‘Lawrie’ stated above. Also would anyone know where to get a large p clamp to fit a 5/16s as well as it being bare metal I seem to can only find insulted clamps.
34 fordor owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #23
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 fordor owner View Post
Would this be okay to mount directly under the bolt? Or would I have to make a “lug” such as ‘Lawrie’ stated above. Also would anyone know where to get a large p clamp to fit a 5/16s as well as it being bare metal I seem to can only find insulted clamps.
If it was me, I'd just find or buy a piece of flat stock. Drill a hole, bend to shape or vise versa and your good to go. Either that or get one with the insulation and remove the insulation.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #24
rich b

Quote:
Just thought about this and asked above. I believe that is what he was talking about. I would have to get a bigger clamp that fits a 5/16 bolt.
If you made a tab, either straight or bent, with a 5/16" hole and a smaller hole for the clamp; it would give you more leeway in getting the condenser in a "happy" location.

oops; slow to respond.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:23 PM   #25
34 fordor owner

Quote:
If you made a tab, either straight or bent, with a 5/16" hole and a smaller hole for the clamp; it would give you more leeway in getting the condenser in a "happy" location.

oops; slow to respond.

Could you give me an example of a ‘tab’ I understand what you mean but I’m struggling on the tab part.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:31 PM   #26
rich b

Quote:
Could you give me an example of a ‘tab’ I understand what you mean but I’m struggling on the tab part.
What I would call a "tab" in this case: piece of 5/8" to 3/4" wide material with a 5/16" hole to fit the bolt and a smaller hole to match your P clamp.

A flat piece could be attached with the smaller hole to the left or right of the 5/16" bolt; the length could be varied to suit the desired location of the condenser.

If you wanted to attach the P clamp directly above or below the 5/16" bolt a Z bend could be made so the P clamp and condenser clears the 5/16" bolt.

You also put a 90 degree bend in it with the 3/16" hole extending straight forward from engine.

The flat bar material could be anything that would support the weight along with taking into consideration that it is mounted directly to and subjected to the vibrations of the engine.

I usually saw a hunk off a piece of 12 ga plate; but also use the 1/8" flat bars from the metal piece displays at the hardware store.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #27
34 fordor owner

Quote:
What I would call a "tab" in this case: piece of 5/8" to 3/4" wide material with a 5/16" hole to fit the bolt and a smaller hole to match your P clamp.

A flat piece could be attached with the smaller hole to the left or right of the 5/16" bolt; the length could be varied to suit the desired location of the condenser.

If you wanted to attach the P clamp directly above or below the 5/16" bolt a Z bend could be made so the P clamp and condenser clears the 5/16" bolt.

You also put a 90 degree bend in it with the 3/16" hole extending straight forward from engine.

The flat bar material could be anything that would support the weight along with taking into consideration that it is mounted directly to and subjected to the vibrations of the engine.

I usually saw a hunk off a piece of 12 ga plate; but also use the 1/8" flat bars from the metal piece displays at the hardware store.

I don’t have the equipment to do this, so I plan to mount directly under the bolt that is there. I believe that will be sufficient right?
Old 11-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #28
corvette8n

Here is how I mounted mine before I went back to the original type coil, it’s just mounted to an angle bracket from Home Depot or your local hardware store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F434A8A6-DA9E-4F40-886B-BB7394575161.jpeg (70.3 KB, 77 views)
corvette8n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:08 PM   #29
tubman

That's really a good idea. I got an email from Chris (the O/P) saying he was going to go to Lowe's to try to find a 5/16" "P-clamp. I think he may be better served looking at the miscellaneous brackets (such as the one you used) in the hardware section.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #30
34 fordor owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Here is how I mounted mine before I went back to the original type coil, it’s just mounted to an angle bracket from Home Depot or your local hardware store.

Wow! Y’all on here are smart! That’s a good idea, I will just have to make sure I can clear the side of the coil so the holes will line up. I had to do some minor adjustments to other clamp to try and get it to fit.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #31
mhaim

Did this on my car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8574F883-662B-4DD6-89F5-F35D57CE9444.jpg (53.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg D1ACC7FC-34AA-4BFD-8B26-47B6EA68F092.jpg (49.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 94F2A530-5AA6-4497-A937-C800B26B4ABD.jpg (40.3 KB, 58 views)
mhaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #32
Mart

You might be able to file the hole in the clamp out to 5/16". The condenser does not have to be mounted directly at the distributor, so on that bolt might be an alternative.

Edit: replied before seeing the replies on page 2.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #33
34 fordor owner

Default Mounting ‘Tubman’ condenser on dome distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaim View Post
Did this on my car

That looks good! How did you do this?

I took the idea from above and got a angled bracket. I had to cut the sides to get it to fit in the beside of the coil. Now I have to get another screw to mount the condenser because I forgot it at lowes today. Not the purtiest but if it gets her running I’m more than happy.

What do y’all think? Yes or no?

Old 11-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #34
34 fordor owner

Well y’all, here it is. Got a Allen screw through the cavity locked in with a nut and the lead to the screw locked in by another nut. Hopefully this makes a good enough connection with the lead. Plan to try and start her tomorrow as I have left my battery in my moms car.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:59 PM   #35
Will D

Well there ya be, Good Job! That'll work just fine.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:14 PM   #36
Lanny

Quote:
Well y’all, here it is. Got a Allen screw through the cavity locked in with a nut and the lead to the screw locked in by another nut. Hopefully this makes a good enough connection with the lead. Plan to try and start her tomorrow as I have left my battery in my moms car.

Well Chris, you have been getting a lot of good suggestions and help from
the great members here on the Fordbarn.
We are all pulling for you and hoping you get your engine running so you
can go have a nice drive in your '34... good luck

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #37
34 fordor owner

Well everyone, tried to start it today and I didn’t get a start or even a stutter. If anyone would like to see a video of me trying to start it and maybe listen for something I don’t hear please let me know and I will get your email and send it over.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #38
38 coupe

First step, make sure you are getting power to the coil when the ignition switch is turned on, if not troubleshoot and fix. Second step is to check if there is any spark when cranking the engine over; test by pulling a wire off a spark plug and holding (with something insulated like rubber grip pliers or wooden clothes pin) the end about 1/16 from the spark plug. If you get spark, that's not your problem. If no spark report back and we can help figure out why.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #39
34 fordor owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
First step, make sure you are getting power to the coil when the ignition switch is turned on, if not troubleshoot and fix. Second step is to check if there is any spark when cranking the engine over; test by pulling a wire off a spark plug and holding (with something insulated like rubber grip pliers or wooden clothes pin) the end about 1/16 from the spark plug. If you get spark, that's not your problem. If no spark report back and we can help figure out why.

When I checked before trying to start I had about 4.5-5 volts at coil with switch on. The way I checked spark was by pulling the whole plug out and grounding on a head bolt. I got no spark from here but I could have possibly not had it grounded good. Something else I was thinking about is I might not have a good connection on the coil from the lead of the condenser. It’s hard to tighten the nut but I thought I had it tight enough with two nuts.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:13 AM   #40
tubman

Chris,

I have just finished going through all of your posts, and have come up with a couple of concerns. In your first post, it says that "In preparation for starting it, we have had the distributor rebuilt with a new condenser, we have had new Auto-lite 386 spark plugs put in as well as spark plug wires, cleaned the gas tank, fuel lines, and original fuel sender, and finally installed a new fuel pump". I see later that you got a new coil from Skip. One question that was never answered is "Who rebuilt the distributor?". If it was done by someone unknown at some undetermined time in the past, I would suspect it and I am afraid your only choice is to send it out to someone reputable and have it done again. Also, I see that the tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, and carburetor have all been replaced, but in some of your later posts, it seems that you are back to hand feeding fuel down the carb throat. I think it would be a very good idea to see what is wrong with the fuel system and correct it. Dumping fuel down the carb may work for some, but if you have any other problems, it may be enough to keep the engine from starting.

Stick with it; we'll get it going. When you get a chance, email me the video.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote