Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #241
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Chris,

Perhaps it's the angle that the photo of your oil pan in #240 was taken, but it appears that raised part at the back of the pan just forward of where the flywheel is contained is bent into a curve (looking straight down). If so, that should be straight without a curve as it fits up against the cork seal inserted into the groove in the rear main bearing cap to prevent oil from finding its way rearward and out of the pan and onto your building's floor.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:18 PM   #242
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
I believe the picture is not a good one. I think that web area that touches the cork seal is straight and OK. So does a person place the seal up into the engine. then bring the pan up to that?? This is very similar to the Allis WD series engines I am familiar with. slightly different shapes but same idea. Best way I think is to have the engine on a stand upside down and install the pan.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:19 PM   #243
DavidG

Even if you have it upside down (a very good idea as it avoids fighting gravity with that less-than-brilliant design for retaining the oil pump in place when installing the oil pan with engine right side up), I recommend using a sealer to hold the cork seal firmly in place
Old 07-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #244
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
That sure makes sense and I am sure in the assembly process that was the way it happened on the line!
It will be a while before that pan gasket sealing operation happens, so I will need to come back to this information again later too.
Must go do something!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-11-2021, 07:53 AM   #245
sugarmaker

David, Ford Folks,
As I get a little older and maybe a little wiser and a little slower I tend to ask more questions. Your post about the details of removing engine and transmission #231
I will start to look at this today a little. Do you remove the angled portion of the wooden floor board for a little more room? I have never been into one of these with the enclosed drive shaft. I dont know anything about them other that the fact someone put them together so they will come apart.
Going out to do some cleaning and review of that area.
I understand removing the top from the transmission. for clearance.
Will pad the front cross member.
The two engine mount bolts supports (rubber) have been removed from the engine support bracket in the front.
The cup on the torque tube I dont understand yet, but will learn buy looking.
Just dont want to break anything, so will go slow and not force anything.
1932 Model B engine and tranny removal is the goal over the next few days.
What is the feature/s that tells you the head was changed?
Keeping my fingers crossed that the existing block and components will be good cores for a rebuild.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-11-2021, 08:13 AM   #246
DavidG

Chris,

Regarding the cylinder head, it's the big raised letters "MADE IN THE USA" that is the clue as the original head had nothing but a big raised letter C on top; not even Ford script as that was added in 1934 and characteristic of Ford service heads from then on, often with a date cast in on the right front corner.

The cup I referred to is what captures the front of the torque tube to attach it to the back of the transmission. It will be obvious when you look at the back of the transmission behind the center cross member as will the four bolts that attach the rear transmission mount to the center cross member.

Good luck! As you rightly noted, someone put it together and therefore it can be taken apart.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #247
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for your continued support. I didnt get to the shop yet, resting today a little. But did watch YouTube viedo of a Model A transmission removal, evaluation and repair and replace by George Bell. Very informative to me. It helped explain a lot of things about the style and features of the 1931 Ford cars, which I am sure has lots of similarities to the larger 4 speed in the trucks.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #248
Bob C

Here are a couple of pictures that will give you an idea of how
the coupling shaft is assembled. Neither one is a BB but the idea is the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Couplingshaft_1938-39truck.jpg (51.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg coupling-2.jpg (20.9 KB, 21 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #249
sugarmaker

Bob, Folks,
Thanks for the pictures! That does help.
Question? Why did Ford enclose this drive shaft?? I have my ideas.
My guess is that in the day these might get into hay fields and or other conditions that might have things get entangled in and around the drive shaft if exposed?
I am easily side tracked! Got off onto a air cleaner project for my Grandsons WD Allis-Chalmers tractor. The air box is from a WD45, just a little larger and I have a rebuilt WD45 carb for it also. We will be pulling tractors this weekend. and these changes might give him a little advantage?? We have pulls somewhere each weekend this summer.
The 32 waits with new shoes!
Friend Bob pulled in with this the other night:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #250
GB SISSON

(This is about open/enclosed drivelines)There was a time when I had a chevy truck or two. When I sold the last of them, a one ton '51 stakebed to a local guy, I happened to run into him a few months later.... I really had told him that the parking brake did not hold, but he parked on a hill in his field. The truck rolled down the hill, ran over a heavy hog wire fence which hooked up on the open driveshaft. The free rolling truck continued to wrap the fencing tightly around the drive line until it was finally stopped by the huge circumference of the mess against the underside of the truck's body. He told me it took two weeks after work time to cut the wad off the shaft, going through more than a few wire cutters in the process.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #251
sugarmaker

Gary,
That is a neat story. Had a relative get hay wrapped around a driveshaft and it stopped the truck too!
Folks,
Any information on the "U" joint construction on my 32 dump? Probably not a lot of folks have even seen these. Anyway trying to disconnect one "U" joint so the engine transmission can be removed.
Sorry its mr yuk in there:

These following pictures are a little rough. The 32 has not had any love in about 85 years.
I removed the front foot board. All the screws came loose.

Some kind of tar stuff in and around toe board at pedals??

Rubber bumpers on back of toe board:

Dimmer switch that probably wont go back in ??

Had to remove the ebrake levers and the levers for the PTO and hydraulic pump valve.
Random pictures inside cab around the trans. I did find the top of the trans cover after a hour of digging accumulated dirt and grease off.
This was after initial cleaning and toe board had just been removed:

A little better, ready to remove the cover off the transmission for clearance to remove the engine and transmission as a assembly.

Also removed the slip cover housing on the torque tube. there was a cup of thick black oil that came out of there when the slip cover was moved away. Was this from leaking rear transmission seal??

Also a shot of the oil pan again for David. He questioned if the rear sealing area was bent?

Hope things are good in Old Ford land!
Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 07-12-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #252
DavidG

Chris,

The oil pan looks good. The black goo around the steering column was originally a black sponge rubber weather seal around the pedals and column. The thick black oil at the back of the transmission could be a leak, but more likely deteriorated grease for the u-joint located there. The foot-operated dimmer switch was a post-production addition. Originally the light switch was located at the bottom of the steering column and operated via a hollow rod (tube) attached to the lever adjacent to the horn button in the center of the steering wheel.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:01 AM   #253
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for the information on the foam seal around the pedals. also the light switch. Not sure how that worked with the tube and all. more learning on that later too.

Folks,
Next moves on the 32:
I have the four bolts/ castellated nuts with cotter pins to remove which I believe hold the flange of the rear transmission to the frame cross member. Then the shift cover comes off the top of the transmision and gets set aside, The U joint on the PTO is my concern, to make sure it comes apart. I took out a round point set screw that was wired in place, but it just doesn't seem like any thing loosened up in the U joint area. Will go slow and see if it separates when the tranny is loosened and pried forward a little. These U Joints had a leather cover over them. They also look pretty sad, and may need some work too?

Even though this turned out to be a non-running engine, I am still pretty happy I went through the brakes and the tire/ rim work. It can be rolled around at this point.

More friends stopping by to Ooogle on it also!

Working maple syrup and my grandsons WD tractor today also. Should be jam packed with excitement around here! As usual, have to rebuild the screw driver before I can get started on a project:
Nic's Allis WD on the left my WD45 on the right!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 07-12-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #254
Bob C

There is no seal on the transmission shaft. Some people use sealed bearings
and remove the seal facing the inside of the transmission to let lube into the bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAtrans.jpg (82.8 KB, 23 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #255
cmbrucew

Chris
Just unbolt the pto and let it hang free of the transmission.
Bruce
Old 07-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #256
sugarmaker

Bob, Bruce, Folks,
Thanks! I like the drawings! And I might just do that, -unbolt and let it dangle. That might be the easiest. May get back to this tonight, if not it may not be for several days as our club tractor show is ramping up for this weekend and I could be there full time doing something!
Ford is our feature tractor so the Jubilee will get a spit shine and go to the show.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #257
sugarmaker

:d
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-12-2021, 05:09 PM   #258
DavidG

Most of all, have fun at the tractor show!
Old 07-13-2021, 07:00 AM   #259
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
Well the tractor show is looking like a wash out. We are stuck in rinse mode right now.
Worked on Maple Mustard and Cub Cadet lawn mower yesterday, both were successful projects too.

But I did get to spend some quality time with the 32. Yea the Jib crane that I worked on on the hottest days of the summer last year is getting some exercise! Used the HF leveler, Also a floor jack to stabilize the tranny as its way heavy in the back. Two layers of cardboard at the front pulley to start then when a little more room, a 2020 Snyder's parts book for cushion to not harm than fragile pulley.

The "U" joint slide right apart. it has a key for a driver, which now makes perfect sense.

Pulled off the top shifter tower from the tranny, Yes this had to come off to get this entire out the truck.

Well lubricated in there. That old 600 weight is sticky like tar!

So Yes the engine/ transmission is out setting on a pallet. Oh yea don't forget to remove the clutch pivot pin when trying to tug this assembly forward and out of the truck! Just saying! Someone was slipping or it was getting late! There three of us got it done. Me Myself and I. Not sure which one forgot the clutch pin. But we got it out and the engine/ trans assembly came out just fine after that.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 07-13-2021 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #260
rockfla

Sugarmaker

What do (or what did) you use to clean your parts/Oil pan in particular, that looks really nice and clean and NO residue????

Thanks
Rockfla
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote