Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
37 Coupe

Default 1932 Ford roadster size question.

With the 1932 roadster gas tank relocation and mayby other design changes was more cabin room evident over the '31 roadster? If not was every year thereafter an improvement say the '33 and '34 with suicide opening doors? At 74 years old I just cannot believe the difficulty of entering and exiting my '31 roadster now compared to how it worked in 1964.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 1932 Ford roadster size question.

I am not large (6' 180) and every time I get in my 32 roadster (as well as my 32 5w) my feet hit the A pillar door jamb. Once in I have ample room. The seat "adjuster" in the roadster consists of tilting the back rest about 2 inches back at the top, pretty much a joke. Maybe someone near you with one will let you get in and out of theirs. I do find the "suicide door" models easier to get in and out of, plus I believe they are wider. I used to have a 34 sedan delivery and currently have a 33 phaeton.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
With the 1932 roadster gas tank relocation and mayby other design changes was more cabin room evident over the '31 roadster? If not was every year thereafter an improvement say the '33 and '34 with suicide opening doors? At 74 years old I just cannot believe the difficulty of entering and exiting my '31 roadster now compared to how it worked in 1964.
I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry, can't delete

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 05-14-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: wrong post
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
slowforty

It is interesting that in a lot of the movies from the 30s and 40s we see the actors entering the vehicles from the passenger side
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
It is interesting that in a lot of the movies from the 30s and 40s we see the actors entering the vehicles from the passenger side
I thought I've read somewhere that's why Ford only had a lock on the passenger side door. They wanted people to slide in and under the steering wheel.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I thought I've read somewhere that's why Ford only had a lock on the passenger side door. They wanted people to slide in and under the steering wheel.
I thought it was just the opposite. Ford wanted people to enter vehicle from passenger side or curbside as most cities by law did not want an entry or exit into the street.Ford probably did it,(locks on pass side ) for economics citing the law. On a Model A or at least mine it is better to enter passenger side and slide over gear shift and emergency brake then to ever pull yourself or support yourself on steering wheel.Ford found out early on this was stressing rivets holding column to underneath gas tank causing leaks. A different support was implemented late in the '31 model year.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I am not large (6' 180) and every time I get in my 32 roadster (as well as my 32 5w) my feet hit the A pillar door jamb. Once in I have ample room. The seat "adjuster" in the roadster consists of tilting the back rest about 2 inches back at the top, pretty much a joke. Maybe someone near you with one will let you get in and out of theirs. I do find the "suicide door" models easier to get in and out of, plus I believe they are wider. I used to have a 34 sedan delivery and currently have a 33 phaeton.
My gosh... I was after a friends super cool Model A pickup for years upon years. Unrestored and COOL! That is, until I'd attempted to sit in it. I'm 6'2", 210#... once I managed to actually get in the cab, well, operating the clutch lever was next to impossible.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
hop up

So I find this interesting as you would think the 32 roadster would be wider then the model a ford. Actually the 32 roadster is 47 inches wide at the top mounting position with a 28 inch door. The model a ford roadster is 48 1/2 inches wide at the top mounting post position. And door length 24. While the 32 cabriolet is the widest with 50 inches in about the same place with 29 inch doors.
Also the 1933 1934 is the largest seating area with 32 inches of room seat to dash this may vary because of thickness of seat to dash. Plus with a door width of 30 inches at the bead and gets larger as it goes down. This makes it easier with my size 14 shoes to get in, so this is most comfortable for tall and large specimens.
I understand this is a restoration site so I will not get into how to cut the seat springs or remove the package trays..

Last edited by hop up; 05-14-2020 at 01:28 PM.
hop up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
My gosh... I was after a friends super cool Model A pickup for years upon years. Unrestored and COOL! That is, until I'd attempted to sit in it. I'm 6'2", 210#... once I managed to actually get in the cab, well, operating the clutch lever was next to impossible.

I'm 6'. We've owned both Model A coupe and closed cab pickup. The pickup had no seat adjustment and was tight but manageable. The coupe had adjustment but even with the seat all the way back, it still was tight getting in. But once in, there was plenty of room. In fact, I had to move the seat forward a notch or two so reaching the pedals wasn't a stretch. Course, I was skinnier back then.

I think the 30-31 generally have a little more room than 28-29. Also the pickup seat-to-backrest angle is pretty much 90*. The coupe is better padded and the backrest is angled backward a bit so it is more comfortable.

Last edited by CHuDWah; 05-14-2020 at 01:27 PM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
DavidG

As noted above, the main pain for today's average-size adults is ease of entry which is greatly improved with the rear hinged doors of the '33-'34 passenger cars (and those on a '32 deluxe coupe). Once inside, there's not that much difference. The width differences are only important if you want to ride three adults on the front seat, but with the floor shift that is not most folks' cup of tea. The '32-'34 pickups, '32 station wagons, '32-'34 panel deliveries, and all '32-'34 big trucks are worse than any '32 passenger car both in terms of entry and in leg room once inside.

37coupe is correct, the curbside placement of the externally-accessible door lock is safety motivated and given the number of drivers today who throw open their doors willy nilly without bothering to check on oncoming traffic suggests that it was a good idea.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

Used to do 3 people in my 32 (high school), cozy. My feet still have a problem in the 40, even with the seat all the way back. A lot of us are heavier and not as agile as years ago .
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #12
37 Coupe

[QUOTE=hop up;1887507]So I find this interesting as you would think the 32 roadster would be wider then the model a ford. Actually the 32 roadster is 47 inches wide at the top mounting position with a 28 inch door. The model a ford roadster is 48 1/2 inches wide at the top mounting post position. And door length 24. While the 32 cabriolet is the widest with 50 inches in about the same place with 29 inch doors.
Also the 1933 1934 is the largest seating area with 32 inches of room seat to dash this may vary because of thickness of seat to dash. Plus with a door width of 30 inches at the bead and gets larger as it goes down. This makes it easier with my size 14 shoes to get in, so this is most comfortable for tall and large specimens.
I understand this is a restoration site so I will not get into how to cut the seat springs or remove the package trays..[/Q I could probably live with the dimensions you list on the '32 roadster especially door width if space between steering wheel and seat back were more or could be made more than what my '31 roadster is only 13".So yes my belly rubs and yes if I pay up for a '32 I will no longer be able to eat and I may fit.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
DavidG

The straight line distance between the steering wheel and the front of the seat back is 15 1/2" in a '32 roadster according to the dimensions on record at the BFRC. I'm away from my car so I can't verify if that is the forward most or rearmost position of the seat back referred to by deuce roadster in #2 above.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #14
Aarongriffey

A model T friend decided he wanted a model A to get around town in because hand cranking the ‘13 T was getting to be just too much.
So he bought a nice model A pickup.
When he finished the transaction, shook hands with the seller and went to climb in,,,,, he couldn’t get in! Never did get in. The seller drove it to a museum and it sat in there on display until he was able to sell it.
So the story of the moral is: If you are slightly larger than the average person, road test that old turkey before you buy it!
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #15
rockfla

At 6'1" and 257, I think the ease of entrance and egress is worse that all the above mentioned!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32intr2.jpg (67.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 32Pebble2.jpg (73.8 KB, 19 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #16
DavidG

Robert,

And your doors are much, much wider than those of a roadster.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #17
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Robert,

And your doors are much, much wider than those of a roadster.
David, isn't that an oxymoron....made the doors bigger for a "smaller" space? Lol

DAVID, just as an aside....at my size try a WWII GPW I "Just" about have to have the top down to drive one adn m knees are "pressed" into the back of the steering wheel.......AND what's worse, OF ALL the WWII GPW's my dad once had HE DECIDES to keep the one GP which is even SMALLER!!! GO figure
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #18
Seth Swoboda

In the 1930's and 40's, was the average height of males and females shorter by a couple of inches? I think there is a big difference getting in these vehicles if you're 5'10" compared to 6' or taller. Also, folks these days are more portly.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #19
DavidG

Robert,

Yes, but in your case there was the matter of access to the back seat.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #20
hop up

I could probably live with the dimensions you list on the '32 roadster especially door width if space between steering wheel and seat back were more or could be made more than what my '31 roadster is only 13".So yes my belly rubs and yes if I pay up for a '32 I will no longer be able to eat and I may fit.[/QUOTE]

Lol i think its a toss up for me eating or driving my 32......