Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
Talkwrench

Default 34 drum removal

Helping a mate out removing the drums on a 34 banjo diff popped the drums no probs with my hub puller , however the brakes shoes are grabbing the drum ( yes we have backed them off) the harder we pull the drum the more the shoes seem to twist and bite in .. Anyone have a trick ?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 34 drum removal

Real pain in the a** some times. Are you wanting to save the drums? This is often caused by drums that are so worn that the ridge on the edge is catching the shoes and the shoes are not retracting enough to clear them. I have used all kind of methods to remove drums like this, but none that I would call a good method. If you can get the drum to pull out enough, get a probe between the backing plate and edge of the drum and you may be able to pry the shoes back a little. Something slightly L shaped or curved on the end. I have fought with these things for hours. If the drum is bad you can cut it off. Hope someone knows a better method or some tricks!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Mart

If you can rotate the drum while pulling it that might help. If these are mechanical, as well as the adjusters, have you backed off the actuator (No personal experience, just trying to think things through).

Like Jseery said, if you can catch sight of the shoe you can sometimes tap it back a little at a time and enable the drum to come off a tiny bit at a time.

Good luck with it.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Any chance there are "safety hubs" on the rear end? The current method is to use "safety clips" and they will be obvious but the old way was to use "safety hubs" which you can overlook. If there are safety hubs, two of the four bolts holding the backing plate to the axle will have been replaced with studs and the nuts will be on the outside where you can see them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
jrhaelig

On my '39 I just unbolted the shoes at the pivot points from the outside of the backing plate.

Then they collapse into the drum and off she comes.
1963 Lincoln Continental
1939 Buick
jrhaelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
supereal

It is is likely that someone, sometime, forgot to replace the backing plate clips that hold the shoes in place. This allows the shoes to tilt and grab the drum as it is pulled off. Those clips cab fall out without notice, or were just discarded as unnecessary. If you are very lucky, you may be able to work the drum off a very little bit at a time. I once worked half a day getting it done to prevent having to use a cutting torch on the drum. If you do decide to remove the lower pivots, make note of the position of the dots on the ends of the bolts to help you reassemble them without extensive work. If you need clips, C&G has them 51A-2125-B, $6 each.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
scooder

He's talking about 1934 brakes, not hydraulic ones I believe.
If it is the shoes grabbing, your into the realms of tapping around with a hammer, don't beat the living out of it, just sort of hard tap. This may allow the operating business to fully back off. Wiggle, pry gently, wiggle, pry and so on. When you get to see the shoes sneaking out, tap them away from the drum, wiggle, pry, turn, pull. You gety drift, patience is the key here. Forcing stuff will get you more stucker. I've done this a few times, they will come off, patience.
good luck,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
supereal

Yeah, I missed that. I though he was referring to '39 brakes. I assume he removed the rod clevis from the brake arm on the backing plate. and the wedge on that wheel isn't rusted or stuck in place.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
Talkwrench

Yes they are not juice brakes.. Well we tried all of the above , mounted a drum on backwards even a wheel too turn and pull at the same time, hammers, levers..it's free of the axle for sure and it's moving in and out a good 1/4" . It's a real pain as I want him to save the drums. He remembers when he got this diff out of a swamp back in 67 it's still in great condition for where it was found.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Any chance there are "safety hubs" on the rear end? The current method is to use "safety clips" and they will be obvious but the old way was to use "safety hubs" which you can overlook. If there are safety hubs, two of the four bolts holding the backing plate to the axle will have been replaced with studs and the nuts will be on the outside where you can see them.

Charlie Stephens
I take what I said back. If they are mechanical brakes you will not find the safety hubs or safety clips on them. I assumed the car had been converted to hydraulics and you just neglected to mention it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
Jay in Mass

Just curious...Have you released the emergency brake?
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 AM   #12
Lawrie

Don't bugger the drums,I may pick them upon a couple of weeks,
We are at derby for a few days.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #13
Mart

If it is moving in and out 1/4", when it stops on the outward pull, is it a hard stop or a soft stop? Is there "give" and a little spring back?

If there is give and spring back, it is tied up on the shoes.

If it is a solid stop it may have had safety hubs fitted.

Have you tried de-adjusting the lower pivots? I think dot to dot may be the most released position. As mentioned above, you could fully remove the lower adjuster nuts and knock the pins in. (can't do this if later style brakes are fitted).

That would give you the best chance of moving things enough to get the drums off.

You might also try taking out the wheel cylinder bolts, you never know, that might help too.

Mart.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #14
Mart

One other thing - On my 40, one side of my rear axle had a larger than expected in and out movement. This was with everything all tightened up. Are you 100% sure you have broken the taper? It's sometimes accompanied by a big bang as it lets go.

The in and out movement may be just the natural in and out movement you can get sometimes.

Mart.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:32 AM   #15
fordscript

My experience is that these drums form a 'rust ridge' on the outside edge of the drum braking surface, and does not reduce down with wear because the brake shoes do not contact with the outside edge 1/8". Even though you have the brake shoes adjusted all the way in, the shoes are still too 'big' to get past this rust ridge. I have had to resort to brute force and ignorance to pull them off, and it might mean sacrificing the old linings and maybe have to 'straighten' the brake shoes where they anchor and adjust. Good luck.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #16
Talkwrench

I did say to Nev not to drill the drums.. I tried to call but he didn't answer, hope he didn't .. Might be a set of vented drums!
If your coming down the coast Lawrie and your interested in going to Quobba station ( just before Carnarvon) let me know.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:19 AM   #17
Lawrie

Will be in touch,we are planning on leaving brome later in the week.
Lawrieo
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #18
Talkwrench

For info the backing plates where removed , the nuts had to be cut with an oxy, then some prying . Lawrie he still has the drums..
Old 09-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #19
briphaeton

I had a stuck drum on my 56 Victoria and my son in law suggested a impact gun with a hammer attachment. The rapid pounding of the hammer loosened all the brake dust and the drum came off easy. First I tried a large puller that seemed to be bending everything and not removing the drum. Hope this helps.
Brian
briphaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #20
Bored&Stroked

First I'd take the mechanical rods off - as the adjustment requires that they be somewhat engaged to work well. Make dang sure that you've worked the adjusters such that the square adjuster post is ALL the way OUT! It is easy to not know which way to go - just make sure you are threading them out. Once you have them all the way out, I'd bet the drums come right off. I've only really had issues when the shoes were rusted to the drums. If you can rotate the drum, then you should be able to get the drums off.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote