Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
Tom's36coupe

Default Headliner question #2

So getting ready to order the headliner from Macs/ Cartouche and it said to measure in between the bows. I have wood and metal towards the back, how does the fabric adhere to those? I would assume that their instructions cover that but again looking for tips who have already gone down this road
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8231.JPG (69.8 KB, 51 views)
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
flatford8

Default Re: Headliner question #2

I got one of their headliners for my ‘50 Fordor and don’t remember it having directions. I have a Repair Manual and used that. Mine was glued around the back window and the bottoms of the sail panels. Then the back window gets put back in. I’m happy with mine, it was the first time I had done it. One thing I neglected to do was iron it first. Trim the loops that the bows go thru to get the sides tight. Be sure to clean the underside of the roof real well and add sound deadener or insulation if you want. It’s a lot easier to do with the seats out of the vehicle.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
TJ

There is fabric strips sewn into the headliner. Those strips staple or tack to the wood bows. Where you have the metal bows the fabric strips are actual loops and the metal bows pass through those loops. Be sure to mark the center of the wood bows and also mark the center of the fabric strips that attach to those bows for center alignment. Start by securing the headliner to the wood bow at the back of the car and work your way forward. Also be sure to make sure all the tack strips are in good condition. Replace them if they appear to be old and not hold tacks or staples.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
rotorwrench

They are referred to as listings. Some are looped for a wire to go through and some are just a strip of fabric to tack or staple to a wood bow or tack strip. Sometimes they are all looped to make them stronger and easier to assemble when sewing the panel up. They also give a person a straight line reference of distance between the top edge of the listing and where the headliner will set away from the bow or tack strip. A person can mark a line on the wood bows if they need to.

Each one creates a seam line in the head liner so the distance between bows is relevant to the way they are made.

When applying adhesive, take care to try to apply it where it can't be easily seen when bedding it down. Some adhesives can soak through the fabric depending on type of fabric and it can be seen if a person isn't careful.

There used to be some good youtube videos for headliner installation but I've not looked at that stuff for a long time. The key is starting on the front to rear center line of the panel and matching it to the center line of the roof. Chalk can be used to mark stuff since it can be removed. Some cars are better to start from the rear but many start from the front. It largely depends on the way the car is designed.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-19-2020 at 09:57 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
DavidG

A worthwhile tip given to me by an experienced auto upholsterer was that to ensure that all of the loops are equidistant from the headlining fabric when tacked or stapled to the wood bows, insert a sturdy, but flexible non-ferrous rod such as a welding rod through the loops from side to side and tack or staple the loop immediately beneath the inserted rod. If there is any disparity in the loop installed lengths you run the risk of puckers in the headlining.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
Tom's36coupe

Perfect, thanks to all for the tips! My interior was a LeBaron kit 12 years ago with mohair. Was going to replace but still in great shape, so the only part that is missing from the paint job is the headliner and some windlace. Will keep my Barn friends posted on how it goes!
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
T Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's36coupe View Post
Perfect, thanks to all for the tips! My interior was a LeBaron kit 12 years ago with mohair. Was going to replace but still in great shape, so the only part that is missing from the paint job is the headliner and some windlace. Will keep my Barn friends posted on how it goes!
With regards to compatible windlace, talk to Dave Trank, the Cartouche upholstery manager at Macs. He is a pretty knowledgeable guy and can be a good resource.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote