Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
delco1946

Default transmission adjustment tool names

I got my '55 fordomatic transmission rebuilt last year, and I must say i've never been super happy with how it feels when at a dead stop and accelerating in 2nd. I’d like to learn to fix this myself.

To start getting my head around properly setting and maintaining my fordamatic, I need some tools that I don't even know the names of. I have all the books and manuals for 1955 Fords, so that is 'done'.

When adjusting the front and rear bands, they show a tool that appears to be some sort of torque wrench which a thickness gauge connected to it - what is this called so I can start searching for one online, on ebay, etc? When setting pressure/ checking pressures they also use a protractor device that inserts into the transmission and a pressure gauges to display pressure as you manually move the throttle. What are the correct names of these devices?

I hit up estate sales often so even if not made anymore, I stand a decent chance to find older equipment - i recently got an early 70s Sun timing gun, compression test gauge, rpm/dwell meter for example which was very exciting. Only 40 bucks and it looks pretty good cleaned up! That being said, if this stuff is still made and you have recommendations, please let me know! Thanks

Last edited by delco1946; 02-27-2021 at 12:40 AM.
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Herman Munster

Default Re: transmission adjustment tool names

I have this old Ford tool which I think is some kind of transmission adjustment tool. I've had it for over 30 years and I've never used it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0959.jpg (29.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0961 2.jpg (25.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
delco1946

Pics from the manual - the band adjusting tool does look similar to the above!
Old 02-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: transmission adjustment tool names

The tools and procedures shown are way outdated. The tools were specifically released to dealers in that time period as FORD wanted uniformity in repairs, especially warranty.

You need to research present technology to see what you may need - https://trans-tool.com/product-categ...mission-tools/

Usually, a poor performing FM-FX TRANS is due to mis-adjusted TV pressure and resultant clutch wear, along with overheating from slippage.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
rotorwrench

Most band adjustments can be done with a modern torque wrench. The FOM & MOM transmissions had tools to set up the TV (throttle valve) linkage for initial adjustment. A pressure gauge connected to the correct fitting on the case will diagnose proper operating pressures in the different ranges. The TV control system was the main control system till vacuum modulation came along in 1961 or so.

Adjusting the TV control is a trial and error thing when the OEM tools aren't available but it can be done as long as the mechanic has a good manual for the transmission and an experienced old timer to offer some help if things don't go well. Adjust that TV rod carefully and record the changes.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-27-2021 at 08:38 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #6
delco1946

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Nothing in the link above seems to resemble a modern version/ description of a band adjuster or protractor. I guess I’ll just start checking eBay periodically. A pressure gauge seems the easiest to find a modern version of as long as the connection point is the same.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
rotorwrench

Most of those old tools were set for one specific torque since most torque wrenches were plain deflecting beam types back in the day. Most modern ones are click type now days. There are plenty of ways to use the modern type tools but a person needs to know the torque specification. Some band actuators torque to a specific setting then back it off a bit so it's really not all that critical. I'd be more worried about whether the actuator piston seals are leaking or not.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #8
yblock57

Delco —

I just went through this with my fordomatic. As rotorwrench and others stated above, a standard torque wrench is sufficient. The front band is done with a spacer and is fairly straight forward. The rear has to be done through a floor access plug on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel and is a little more involved. Similar to a steering box pre-load adjuster. On my thunderbird I simply marked the center screw with liquid paper to ensure the adjustment didn't move while tightening the jamb nut. A fordomatic shop manual is a must. It spells everything out.

To adjust the throttle rod, I used an inexpensive pressure gauge from amazon here. Thread on the test port is 1/8" pipe thread. Adapter is included in the above kit.

Good luck!

'56 F-100 | '56 Crown Vic | '57 Fairlaine 500 | '57 Thunderbird
yblock57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:23 PM   #9
delco1946

Kent - thank you! That is very helpful. How thick is the spacer that was originally used? That wasn’t ever provided in the manual. Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2021, 03:57 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Post Re: transmission adjustment tool names

FORD released SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL cataloging and that vaule may be described in the catalog. Let me see if I can find my stash and see.

Rattle my cage if I don't re-post within a few days.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #11
yblock57

Delco —

I made my own spacer out of 1/4" flat bar stock from home depot. Anything similar will do the job. Just remember the front band is 10 INCH LBS, and the rear is 10 FOOT LBS.

Glad to help. Good luck.

'56 F-100 | '56 Crown Vic | '57 Fairlaine 500 | '57 Thunderbird
yblock57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
delco1946

Can't turn down an excuse for more antiques or tools! Found a source for all the correct and authentic tools needed to adjust the bands
Old 03-26-2021, 12:45 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: transmission adjustment tool names

Quote:
Originally Posted by delco1946 View Post

Can't turn down an excuse for more antiques or tools! Found a source for all the correct and authentic tools needed to adjust the bands
CONGRATULATIONS!

Determination has results ...

- DISCLAIMER -