Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #1

Default Question for owners of Electronic Ignitions & Centrifugal Advance Distributors

Do you carry a spare Module in your car, in case of a problem with your Distributor?
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
denis4x4

Default Re: Question for owners of Electronic Ignitions & Centrifugal Advance Distributors

No....two failures were self inflicted! Been using them in classic cars, Jeeps, hot rods, boats and Model A's since the late sixties. The module was designed for stationary engines running 24/7.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Dave in MN

Default Re: Question for owners of Electronic Ignitions & Centrifugal Advance Distributors

Yes I carry a spare.
I have had a NU-Rex in my car for 17 years without failure. I purchased a spare module at the same time and have carried it for 90,000 plus miles. I would guess if I stopped carrying it...Murphy's Law would prevail.

A Nu-Rex is not easy to change back to a stock system while on the road so I would rather be prepared.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 02-20-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Yes I carry a spare.
I have had a NU-Rex in my car for 17 years without failure. I purchased a spare module at the same time and have carried it for 90,000 plus miles. I would guess if I stopped carrying it...Murphy's Law would prevail.

A Nu-Rex is not easy to change back to a stock system while on the road so I would rather be prepared.
Good Day!
I agree
Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
harleynut

I do also.....had it for years
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
dgservices

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The good folks at FS Ignitions fixed me one up with 2 modules in the distributor that can be switched by a toggle switch on the dash. Works great and good insurance.
dgservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgservices View Post
The good folks at FS Ignitions fixed me one up with 2 modules in the distributor that can be switched by a toggle switch on the dash. Works great and good insurance.
Now that's a novel idea.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
But, I thought it was the main box that usually failed?

In the 60's I installed transistorized ignition in my 55 Chevy, and it work fine for 5 days, then failed on my way to work.

In the late 70's I installed electronic ignition in my 71 Scout with a 232 engine, and it lasted about a month before it failed.
I like points just fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
Dave in MN

Quote:
I have installed two of these dual module FSI distributors in customer's cars.

I called FSI to order another dual module distributor last week and spoke to Judy Mallory. I asked for Mel and Judy shared that Mel passed away about 5 weeks ago from complications of heart surgery. JD, his business partner, called me back a day later and said he was not sure if they would offer this dual module option any more as it was Mel who set these up.

Mel was a true gentleman who shared his knowledge freely. I never met him face to face but he was a friend. I will miss him.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 02-21-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #10
JohnLaVoy

The only failure I experienced in over 40,000 miles of driving was with the first style of module, FS changed it and I've not had a problem sense. Have them on several cars now. You do need to have a very good ground or you will have problems.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
V4F

no spare here for many years
Old 02-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
Benson

Is it still true that leaving the ignition key on will burn up the module or have they fixed that problem?

I hear it both ways.

Thanks

Last edited by Benson; 02-21-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Is it still true that leaving the ignition key will burn up the module or have they fixed that problem?

I hear it both ways.

Thanks
Last I heard it was still true. I wouldn't want to be the one to test it out.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Is it still true that leaving the ignition key on will burn up the module or have they fixed that problem?

I hear it both ways.

Thanks
Good question, I think that still exists, because I purchased my distributor about 6 months ago, and that was still in the instructions.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
I have installed two of these dual module FSI distributors in customer's cars.

I called FSI to order one last week and spoke to Judy Mallory. I asked for Mel and Judy shared that Mel passed away about 5 weeks ago from complications of heart surgery. JD, his business partner, called me back a day later and said he was not sure if they would offer this dual module option any more as it was Mel who set these up.

Mel was a true gentleman who shared his knowledge freely. I never met him face to face but he was a friend. I will miss him.
Good Day!
X2, Mel was definitely a true gentleman and very helpful.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #16
steve s

I believe that the electronic units don't wear out or fail from defect; something kills them, usually a bad ground. So, my guess is that if your electronic unit fails and you replace it without first figuring out why, your backup unit will quickly fail too.

I would like to hear from someone who has had this experience, and how it worked out with his replacement.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #17
Synchro909

I started a thread here a while ago about trouble I was having with one of those distributors. I pulled the FS one and put a points and coil one back after getting a very abusive message from the guy at FS who is trying to do what Mel did. Mel was a very helpful and knowledgeable man whose input will be missed. I have a replacement module to put in the FSI distributor but I think I will not go that way again after the abuse. I have resisted the temptation to post that message here but I still have it.
My prediction, FWIW, is that if they keep going the way I experienced, FSI will disappear.

Last edited by Synchro909; 02-21-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #18
KMeredith87

I have one of bubbas modern Mallory's and love it, zero issues and that is the one part I worry the least about. Worth the money and the wait to get one. Just my two cents.
KMeredith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #19
Del in NE Ohio

I have run and FSI distributor in my town sedan for 6 years, no problems. I don't carry a spare module. I decided over the winter to install the same distributor in my '31 CCPU which I drive almost daily. I called FSI several times to order, left messages, never got a response. Finally, ordered one from Brattons. Sorry to hear about Mel... he had been very helpful in the past. Hope FSI survives the loss.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #20
denis4x4

Mickey Remund originally built Petronix ignitions for A's and flatheads and when he retired, Mel picked up the line. Sorry to hear about Mel as he was easy to work with and a standup guy.