Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2021, 12:13 AM   #1
zuburg

Default Is it possible to install a fuel pump incorrectly on a 292 Y-block

Is it possible to install the fuel pump on a 292 Y-block incorrectly, such as the lever not positioned correctly inside the block, resulting in the lever not being moved sufficiently to pump gas out of the outlet tube?
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:42 AM   #2
darrell

Default Re: Is it possible to install a fuel pump incorrectly on a 292 Y-block

not if you have the right pump.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
zuburg

Great, thanks. I’m trying to figure out why no gas is coming out of the pump. The pump was working on the old engine that I replaced with a remanufactured 292. The pump did sit unused installed on the new engine for 4 years while I waited for my Fordomatic to be rebuilt. I don’t know if the test I did was the correct way to see if the pump was working correctly. I removed the fuel line from the pump at the fuel filter and cranked the engine and no fuel came out. Does the line have to be connected and the engine running to get fuel out of the pump?
Old 02-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
dmsfrr

If the back side of the fuel pump lever / arm has scrape marks on it, it may be slipping off in front of the eccentric ring instead of being under it. ???

Assuming there's fuel in the tank and the line back to it isn't clogged, the pump should be able to easily pull fuel from it.
If the rubber hose from the fuel line connection next to the steering box over to the fuel pump has an air leak, the pump may not be able to create enough suction to draw fuel thru the line to the pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel pump eccentric on cam gear.jpg (26.9 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-28-2021 at 12:50 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #5
zuburg

Man, you have pictures of everything! What a great resource you have. I didn’t even notice when I installed the fuel pump the lever was going in the side of the timing cover. I just bolted it on where I thought it was supposed to go. Is there a certain way you have to insert the lever to be sure it is positioned correctly (such as push it down as you insert it)? I remember when I installed it it didn’t go right in, I had to wiggle it around until it seemed to slide right in.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
dmsfrr

I hope someone knows what position of the engine puts that eccentric ring "up".
So the fuel pump lever can go under it more easily. Otherwise you have to fight more of the spring pressure of the pump to put it in under the ring.
Getting the 2 fuel pump mounting bolts to go in can be entertaining if the ring is on the 'down' side.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
zuburg

YES, that will be very helpful when I pull the pump to make sure I installed it correctly the first time. I had no idea what was inside and to worry about that. Plus, does anything bad happen if you install it above the ring (other than the pump not working)?
Old 02-28-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: Is it possible to install a fuel pump incorrectly on a 292 Y-block

The pump arm has to be installed under the eccentric. Remove your pump and check for any obvious damage.

Stick your finger in the mounting opening and try to ascertain (???) the position of the eccentric. You want the high spot up. Turn the engine by hand until you reach that point. Insert pump with arm in a downward position to clear the eccentric.

Push pump somewhat level with the front cover. This may be a pain due to position of eccentric and pump arm spring pressure.

Insert and tighten fasteners gingerly.

Hope that made sense.

Now let me make your day. Dry cranking a fresh engine without fairly immediate start may/will most likely wipe the cam lube off the cam lobes-tappet seats. Make sure you follow manufacturer's break-in instructions.

Have the carb primed (this will ensure fast start and increased initial pump vacuum draw). Make sure timing is set correctly.

Watch mechanical oil pressure gauge through out break-in.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
darrell

it is more or less impossable to put a fuel pump on wrong.you would never get the bolts started and if you somehow did you would soon hear something snap as you tighten the bolts.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
zuburg

Thanks, this is very helpful. Sounds like there’s a lot of stuff that has to go right on first start. Unfortunately, you don’t always know about problems you have until you try it. I had to replace the resistor on the coil before it would fire with gas in the carburetor, before I figured out the fuel pump was not working.

Hopefully, using break-in oil and manually priming the engine helped (I have oil around all the valves under the valve covers).
Old 02-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: Is it possible to install a fuel pump incorrectly on a 292 Y-block

Never say impossible and never say never, especially while referring to FOMOCO.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote