Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
Michael Allen

Default Fuel filler neck measurement

Need a measurement for the filler neck for a 1955 passenger car fuel tank. The center line for the filler neck measurement taken from the right flange as the tank is viewed from the filler neck end of the tank. Looking to use one of the Speedway 55 EFI tanks in my 53. The 55 neck appears to be a little longer and with a bend. However, that I can deal with if the center line measurement is the same as the 53, which is 7". Thanks for the help.
Michael Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: Fuel filler neck measurement

If the tank is shot usually the sender is also erroded from old ethanol fuels also many of the new tanks use a different sender with a different bolt pattern from OEM,this solves that issue as well as the straps that need to be changed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Ford-P...kAAOxy7q1RY7dg The same vendor also can supply you with a non stainless tank kit for about $100 less. The picture here shows a '55 tank in a '53 not altered the filler neck was not changed. Do you notice the slight difference ? The reason you should get the tank with the matching straps is in the second picture unless you want to lenthen the old ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-oops.jpg (40.3 KB, 6 views)
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
If the tank is shot usually the sender is also erroded from old ethanol fuels also many of the new tanks use a different sender with a different bolt pattern from OEM,this solves that issue as well as the straps that need to be changed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Ford-P...kAAOxy7q1RY7dg The same vendor also can supply you with a non stainless tank kit for about $100 less. The picture here shows a '55 tank in a '53 not altered the filler neck was not changed. Do you notice the slight difference ? The reason you should get the tank with the matching straps is in the second picture unless you want to lenthen the old ones.
Repost missing picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50's.jpg (42.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
JeffB2

In the 1952-59 Ford Social Group I founded in 2009 we have been doing these tank swaps for years the pictures and more details can be found there if you care to join the Group on the H.A.M.B.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
Michael Allen

Thanks JeffB2. I received a reply from Speedway which stated the measurement at 6". What caught my eye was this tank has the in-tank EFI fuel pump mounting built in. Yes, longer straps and an adapter for a new type sending unit plus the in-tank EFI pump, all of which I need. How do I access the tank swap info from H.A.M.B.?
Michael Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:09 AM   #6
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Allen View Post
Thanks JeffB2. I received a reply from Speedway which stated the measurement at 6". What caught my eye was this tank has the in-tank EFI fuel pump mounting built in. Yes, longer straps and an adapter for a new type sending unit plus the in-tank EFI pump, all of which I need. How do I access the tank swap info from H.A.M.B.?
You will find it in the "Sticky FAQ" in the 1952-59 Ford Social Group which you have to join if you are a H.A.M.B. member. this thread tells you how to get there.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295330 We have had members mod tanks for EFI so ask about that in the regular forum. The "Sticky FAQ" is an information file ONLY we do not allow questions to be asked in it use the regular forum for that. That being said some guys over the years have transplanted their old filler necks to the new tanks. With EFI you will be doing some trunk floor mods in your '53 too the access panel for the stock sender is about 4"-5" off.

Last edited by JeffB2; 03-06-2021 at 03:15 AM.