Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
yblock57

Default Any Early Bird Seat Upholstery Experts?

Kicking around the idea of installing a pre-made seat cover on my '57 bird. I've done a few seats in 80's mustangs with decent results and have built up the courage to give this a shot.

Anyone on here done this on an early bird? Any tips/tricks? I have a decent set of hog-ring pliers and a heat gun.

Would likely buy everything from CASCO. The works — foam, backer, burlap and cover. Noticed they sell a seat recovering DVD. Anyone seen this? Think it's worth a try?

Thanks in advance.

casco_how_to.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57_seat.jpg (38.7 KB, 12 views)

'56 F-100 | '56 Crown Vic | '57 Fairlaine 500 | '57 Thunderbird
yblock57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Any Early Bird Seat Upholstery Experts?

I have heard (but not experienced) that some brands of seat foam can be thicker / firmer than what is in the car now.
It may put your legs closer / too close? to the steering wheel, the same with clearance from your head to the hard or soft-top.
It also can make getting the upholstery to fit over the foam more 'interesting'. Some folks have shaved down the foam a little and been happier with the result. If it's possible to do a test-fit when the pieces arrive that could save you from expanding your vocabulary in questionable ways.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
I have heard (but not experienced) that some brands of seat foam can be thicker / firmer than what is in the car now.
It may put your legs closer / too close? to the steering wheel, the same with clearance from your head to the hard or soft-top.
It also can make getting the upholstery to fit over the foam more 'interesting'. Some folks have shaved down the foam a little and been happier with the result. If it's possible to do a test fit when the pieces arrive that could save you from expanding your vocabulary in questionable ways.
Exactly what I was wanting to know. I think my foam is probably ok. That will really help in the price department. I'm 6'2" so I definitely need all the room I can get in between that wheel and seat bottom.

Have even considered making a bracket to move the seat slightly rearward to give another inch or so of room. Not a lot of room to play with as the car has a soft top and I want to keep that functional.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yblock57 View Post
. . . Have even considered making a bracket to move the seat slightly rearward to give another inch or so of room. Not a lot of room to play with as the car has a soft top and I want to keep that functional.
Power or manual seat? The power seat frame is curved upward at the rear to match the curve of the floor, not sure how it would fit if moved, and both seat motors would need to relocate a bit where they attach to the floor. Clearance between the convertible top swing bar and upper seat motor may be a problem???
The manual seat tracks should be easier to move rearward slightly, there seem to be fewer things in the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swing bar and seat back.jpg (49.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg power seat.jpg (40.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-12-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
yblock57

Should've specified. It's manual. Only options on the car are radio, heater, power steering & fordomatic. Does have the CASCO a/c kit because a black car in Texas isn't any fun in the summer.

Power seat is neat to have but would be pointless for me and dad since it stays all the way back all the time so that's a good thing.

Seems like every '55 I've seen has a power seat. Wonder if that was a standard thing the first year of production?

Old 02-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Should've specified. It's manual. Only options on the car are radio, heater, power steering & fordomatic. Does have the CASCO a/c kit because a black car in Texas isn't any fun in the summer.
Power seat is neat to have but would be pointless for me and dad since it stays all the way back all the time so that's a good thing.
Seems like every '55 I've seen has a power seat. Wonder if that was a standard thing the first year of production?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I have found it BEST never to say never regarding FOMOCO ...
"All or "always" is another term not to use regarding these cars.
It may or may not have been a 'standard' option but finding a '55 Bird with a manual seat is extremely rare.
A very few do exist.

Several years ago I checked the power seat in my '55 to see if it worked (it does) but otherwise it stays all the way back. Even with the telescoping steering column, clearance around the steering wheel for my right leg & foot to reach the brake pedal is terrible, so I use my left foot for the brake.

I bought a '57 Bird a year ago because I wanted one with the 3spd overdrive (and wife wanted one in yellow). I was concerned about being able to drive the car, until I test drove it. The manual seat position was ok, even with the large original steering wheel. No need to get one of the smaller size reproductions, a good thing since the car does not have power steering.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-12-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
"All or "always" is another term not to use regarding these cars.
It may or may not have been a 'standard' option but finding a '55 Bird with a manual seat is extremely rare.
A very few do exist.

Several years ago I checked the power seat in my '55 to see if it worked (it does) but otherwise it stays all the way back. Even with the telescoping steering column, clearance around the steering wheel for my right leg & foot to reach the brake pedal is terrible, so I use my left foot for the brake.

I bought a '57 Bird a year ago because I wanted one with the 3spd overdrive (and wife wanted one in yellow). I was concerned about being able to drive the car until I test drove it. The manual seat position was ok, even with the large original steering wheel. No need to get one of the smaller size reproductions, a good thing since the car does not have power steering.
Good point. Never say never!

I agree that the original 17" steering wheel looks best. The 15 is a nice option but the horn ring just looks too small and strange to me.

I have to pull the wheel almost all the way back to keep my thighs off it to work the pedals. Sure is a good thing they did to make that a standard thing in the early birds.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
. . . The 15 is a nice option but the horn ring just looks too small and strange to me. ...
I agree, it looks just a bit 'off' to me too. But nice to have if you need it.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #9
CSPIDY

I purchased new seat covers and cushions from CASCO, I had CASCO's replace them as well.
new cushions are very firm, they did a nice job and it looks good but not very comfortable on a long ride.
CSPIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
pistonbroke

I purchased new foam and covers from concourse and as stated above the cushion is thicker and more comfortable but now having either top up sucks!
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #11
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
I purchased new foam and covers from concourse and as stated above the cushion is thicker and more comfortable but now having either top up sucks!
Thanks for letting me know. It's already cramped quarters with my 6'2" frame. Hopefully my foam is serviceable.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #12
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPIDY View Post
I purchased new seat covers and cushions from CASCO, I had CASCO's replace them as well.
new cushions are very firm, they did a nice job and it looks good but not very comfortable on a long ride.
Good to know. Fingers crossed that my foam is serviceable. Appreciate the info.