Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default Hagerty insurance ?

Any of you guys insure your cars with Hagerty ((?) ?
I've been with AAA for 50 some years.
I don't know what has changed, but they seem to not want my old car business these days....!!

Wondering how Hagerty works for OLD car insurance ?
Thanks for any/all helpful info.

How about Grundy (?) sp....

Last edited by hardtimes; 01-12-2021 at 02:14 PM. Reason: ............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
ct1932ford

Default Re: Hagerty insurance ?

I had a small company for years, now they changed my policy to Hagerty. No issues but then I have had no problems either. I hear they are good and understand the hobby.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
19Fordy

Read thru these threads obtained via a SEARCH. Might be helpful. You can zip over to HAMB and do the same.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=20109310
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
TJ

I have Grundy, but have friends who have Hagerty. Comparing notes when it comes to having a claim both companies respond very well and take care of the policy holder. I think you will find as I did that they will also save you money on the premiums. I cut my premiums in half from State Farm who used to carry my old Fords.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:36 PM   #5
V8ER

I started with J. C. Taylor, went to Grundy when the premiums went up, went to Hagerty when the premiums went up. Hagerty is the best. You set your vehicle values.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
Tony, NY

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I have Grundy, but have friends who have Hagerty. Comparing notes when it comes to having a claim both companies respond very well and take care of the policy holder. I think you will find as I did that they will also save you money on the premiums. I cut my premiums in half from State Farm who used to carry my old Fords.
It's been my experience that the big ins. companies become the middle man and have a smaller classic car ins co. do the insuring. Therefore more expensive.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Any of you guys insure your cars with Hagerty ((?) ?
I've been with AAA for 50 some years.
I don't know what has changed, but they seem to not want my old car business these days....!!

Wondering how Hagerty works for OLD car insurance ?
Thanks for any/all helpful info.

How about Grundy (?) sp....
I have been with J C Taylor for my old cars for 30 years. I hit my fence pulling my 46 out of the shop and the rear suicide door opened and caught and bent back. Sickening. I submitted a claim to J C Taylor. They have Foremost do their claim work. I submitted pictures and an estimate from a licensed repair shop. The adjuster called me and asked if based on the damage was that enough to cover the damage. I said it should do and shortly after got a check for the repairs.
Great service and I am happy.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
Hal Beatty

I've had Hagerty for over 20 years; reasonable premiums and have been good to work with, though I've never had to make a claim.

A friend has also had Hagerty for years and has made at least two claims; they've always treated him well and paid promptly.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
1948F-1Pickup

Don't have Hagerty, but it's a very popular choice with the vintage Mustang folks.
My '48 is still with USAA but I will probably be moving it over to Condon Skelly, who insures another one of my vehicles. CS does a agreed value policy and underwrites using a couple of providers, the main one being Ironshore Indemnity.
I was a insurance auto damage appraiser right out of college, so I scrutinized Condon Skelly pretty closely.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #10
BobR35

I've been with State Farm since '68 and just recently insured my newly purchased '35 with them. They asked me what my insured value was and they then wanted pictures. Everything very smooth and the insurance cost is less than my motorcycle! I've checked other places as well and decided to stick with SF. I believe in keeping the insurance companies honest about every two years and always check at least two sources. Happy hunting!
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
Marcus

Hardtimes - Count me strongly in the Hagerty arena; all the above favorable comments, plus something that I have never heard of with other insurers (and I have USAA on my daily drivers): Hagerty now has Cherished Salvage Coverage. In my case, (and just as an example because I have 6 hot rods and antiques insured by them), the additional coverage was $16 per year on a $30k Mustang. What this means in simple terms, is that if the car is totaled, Hagerty writes a check for the agreed upon value, PLUS I keep the car - mine to do with as I please.
I am not an agent for Hagerty, nor have any vested interest - but these policy perks put Hagerty way out in front, for me.
Y'all stay safe!
Old 01-12-2021, 07:16 PM   #12
DavidG

There seems to be a basic misunderstanding about the roles Hagerty and J.C.Taylor play in this process. Neither of them is an insurance company, they are insurance agents and your underlying insurer is a behind-the-scence insurance company, not the insurance agent. They are your interface and act on your behalf, but do not actually insure your vehicle, nor do they have the financial assets to do so.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:21 PM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

I've had Hagerty for a number of years, and had Grundy before that.

Both good companies no problems. Good folks nice customer reps. Friendly and helpful.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #14
swedishsteel

Have had Hagerty for over 15 years. You set the value of your car. Reasonable rates that didn't go up after two claims, one pretty substantial: wind storm and big oak tree fell on '78 Bronco, total loss. The other, a deer hit the driver side of my '36 coupe. They sent adjuster quickly and paid quickly. Plus, they send me a birthday card!!! Cheers, Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #15
Cobra Joe

Hagerty on both my vehicles, small claims, but very happy with response and service.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #16
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Don't have Hagerty, but it's a very popular choice with the vintage Mustang folks.
My '48 is still with USAA but I will probably be moving it over to Condon Skelly, who insures another one of my vehicles. CS does a agreed value policy and underwrites using a couple of providers, the main one being Ironshore Indemnity.
I was a insurance auto damage appraiser right out of college, so I scrutinized Condon Skelly pretty closely.
I'd be careful with Condon & Skelly right now. I have had them for over 30 years, and my last communication with them is that they are no longer associated with "Ironshore Indemnity Inc.". Included in the renewal packet I got from them was "Notice of Non-Renewal of Insurance from Ironshore indemnity" They will allow me to renew the policy, but they are no longer associated with Ironshore Indemnity.

I'm in the process of looking into this situation. I think there may be something going on in the old car insurance business these days.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #17
!!!RIOT!!!

Hagerty here too. I've never filed a claim with them but the onboarding was quick and easy and the service has been great.
!!!RIOT!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #18
Blindhuckster

I'm with ROB35. I've used State Farm for years for my two classic cars. 37 Ford and a 69 Camaro SS. Both have Stated Values of $30,000 and $40,000 and run about $220.00 each a year. Never had a claim, so not sure how smooth that would go. Have several friends with multiple classic cars insured with State Farm. Check and see if it would work for you. Nate Anello
Blindhuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:36 PM   #19
Vics Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
I have been with J C Taylor for my old cars for 30 years. I hit my fence pulling my 46 out of the shop and the rear suicide door opened and caught and bent back. Sickening. I submitted a claim to J C Taylor. They have Foremost do their claim work. I submitted pictures and an estimate from a licensed repair shop. The adjuster called me and asked if based on the damage was that enough to cover the damage. I said it should do and shortly after got a check for the repairs.
Great service and I am happy.
John
I have had JC Taylor for over 40 years . Only one claim and they were honest , real fair about my claim and getting my car fixed without any hastles.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #20
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I'd be careful with Condon & Skelly right now. I have had them for over 30 years, and my last communication with them is that they are no longer associated with "Ironshore Indemnity Inc.". Included in the renewal packet I got from them was "Notice of Non-Renewal of Insurance from Ironshore indemnity" They will allow me to renew the policy, but they are no longer associated with Ironshore Indemnity.

I'm in the process of looking into this situation. I think there may be something going on in the old car insurance business these days.
That's news to me. I'll check into it.
My current policy period is August 2020 to August 2021. Ironshore Indemnity is at the top of the declarations page....
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote