Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
bigfeller08

Default fordomatic

hi members, i am looking for a good front pump Assembly with the converter hub to suit a small case fordomatic , it is a 2 speed ,full cast-iron box, with a aluminium air cooled converter, ,i will even consider buying the complete box, but shipping costs from usa will be very expensive , to Australia, UNLESS I CAN BUY JUST THE INTERNALS bit by bit, need urgent help on this as my ford has been out of action for over 6 months due to not finding parts , spreed your wings guys and help get me out of trouble even contacts in usa for new parts if you can still buy them ,especially the front pump unit , many thanks ,merry xmas to you all , welshy1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (64.0 KB, 23 views)
bigfeller08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: fordomatic

I just gave one away last Saturday. But shipping it would probably been expensive .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #3
40 Deluxe

I don't have a pump, but would like to mention that your trans is really a three speed, not two. It usually starts out in 2nd gear, but a full throttle start will kick it down into low from a dead stop. Or start out in manual "low" and then shift into Drive, and immediately after shift to 2nd pull the lever back into "low" to hold 2nd until you're ready for 3rd, then shift back into Drive.
I mention this because if you ask for a pump for a two speed you may be told "Nope, don't got it!" or may get one for the actual two speed ('59-'64) which was aluminum case.
There are also two different converter hubs/pump drives that can't be mixed. As I remember, one is a tang and slot arrangement, and the other uses two flats on the hub. The changeover was sometime in 1952, as I recall.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:43 AM   #4
bigfeller08

thanks mate , ,yes ,we have became fairly good at part swapping from box to box , used a 54 small case as mine is busted ,took the insides out of both and picked the best of the best , and have put it together , only to find that my front pump is not spot on , ,so ,i need a complete front pump and the hub ,( which broke as well removing the box ), ,so we are using my original aluminium air cooled converter with the cast iron bell housing , so i can fit my 6 volt stater in , SO, what i need to get me going is, a good front auto pump from A FORDOMATIC 1951 ONLY , AND THE CONVERTER HUB THAT SUITS THE EARLY CONVERTER OK , ,CAN YOU LOOK AROUND TO SEE IF ANY MEMBERS HAVE A LAZY ONE IN THERE GARAGE THAT THEY WOULD BE PREPARED TO STRIP AND SEND ME THE PARTS, ,i have a mate in l/a port who will ship it home for me for free ,.so , need help ok , will send photo of the box with the serial number on it ,as thats the only box that will get me out of trouble
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (93.0 KB, 25 views)
bigfeller08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
rotorwrench

That's definitely an early one. Those had a length that was different on the converter to pump engagement and they like to crack. Fatsco sells a converter hub that may be able to convert the 1951 type to the later 52 thru 56 type. I would contact someone there and find out if that is the case. It would solve a common problem with parts on the 1st gen units.

The pump from the later units will fit the 1P-A. A later torque converter, 52 to 56 I think,should work in the 1P-A trans. The spline changed in there somewhere so a person has to check the spline type too.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-07-2018 at 06:22 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote