Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
ursus

Default Transmission Removal Question

I need to rebuild the transmission in my coupe but wish to leave the engine in place. Is it possible to disconnect the rear axle from the spring using a spring spreader, roll the axle back a bit without pulling it completely out from under the car, and then remove the transmission from the clutch housing?

If I roll the rear axle back to where the tires are just touching the rear fenders will I have enough clearance to disengage the U-joint from the drive shaft?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:22 PM   #2
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck
Default Re: Transmission Removal Question

To remove the Transmission I have always unbolted the U bolts and rolled the rear end out. If you are working on the differential, like replacing an axle, you use a spring spreader because you have to take the differential housing apart, leaving the spring attach to the frame. First rule when working with leaf springs is Think Safety. Check out the differential section in the Red Book. Have fun and Good Luck. Dan
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:33 PM   #3
Tom Endy

Secure the spring with a spring spreader. Remove the shackle bolts to remove the rear axle assembly. leave the spring in the car where it is safe. Pulling the rear end with the spring attached is dangerous. The only thing holding it together then is the center bolt and it is not designed to hold that much tension, and it could be rusted. If the bolt comes apart the leafs will fly 20 feet in the air.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:56 AM   #4
ursus

Dan and Tom:
Please note that I mentioned my intent to use a spring spreader. The actual question is if the rear axle is rolled back to where the tires touch the rear fenders will there be sufficient clearance to disengage the transmission and u-joint from the drive line in order to remove it from the clutch housing and out from the car? Thank you!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:48 AM   #5
john charlton

I have done this several times . I leave the rear spring in place . I support the car safely on stands and remove the rear wheels . It is now more easy to disconnect the brake rods and pull the axle back far enough to remove the transmission . The axle balances OK on a floor jack .

John jn Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:14 AM   #6
nkaminar

If you take the wheels off and support the rear end on a floor jack you can roll it out completely. This gets it completely out of the way.

If you are working under the car and drop the transmission on your front tooth, it will kill the tooth and you will have to get a cap. Don't ask my how I know this.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #7
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
I need to rebuild the transmission in my coupe but wish to leave the engine in place. Is it possible to disconnect the rear axle from the spring using a spring spreader, roll the axle back a bit without pulling it completely out from under the car, and then remove the transmission from the clutch housing?

If I roll the rear axle back to where the tires are just touching the rear fenders will I have enough clearance to disengage the U-joint from the drive shaft?

to try to answer your original question.
there may be enough room for the clearance you need to get the rear end/torque tube away from the transmission.
BUT
you have to remember that the transmission needs to go back so the input shaft will clear before the tranny can drop down. and it all has to go back into the car later SO that rear-end torque tube has to be away and DOWN out of the way.
to move the rear-end back the shocks and brake rods have to be disconnected anyway , for the extra few minutes it would take to remove the wheels and slide the rear end back further i think you will make it easier on yourself.
just put the car high on the jack stands, make sure you put the jack stands in front of where the radius rods pass under the frame, then let the rear end down with the floor jack and slide it back to give yourself lots of room to work.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:58 AM   #8
Afordman31

The last one I did I removed the 19" Model A wheels and put two ford 16" rims on and rolled out under the fenders!
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #9
stevests

Doesn't the transmission bolt up from inside the clutch housing ? I'm helping a buddy with his A but it's been 50 years since I really dismantled one - I'm a T guy !
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:08 AM   #10
john charlton

Yes it does you unbolt the bellhousing complete with pedals and split the transmission off after the unit is removed .

John in same place same weather .
Old 08-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #11
stevests

Thanks John - I looked up a photo from the inside of the clutch housing.

Question: which is less labor intensive - removing rear axle assembly (juice brakes) or pulling the engine ?
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #12
john charlton

Quicker and more simple to remove the axle rod or juice brakes the same

John
Old 08-17-2022, 12:40 PM   #13
john charlton

When you pull the axle back dont forget to disconnect the speedo cable at the torque tube .just saying .

Still John