Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #1
Asron82

Default Early Oil Pan

Hi All,

I have been working on a 28 sedan was produced some time in the mid range because it has the early motor mount straight to the frame, the 28 valve cover and a little of this and that early. Braking system is the later style. Anyways it has a early oil pan with the clean out i took the pan off checking the rods and was comparing it to a later style and i notice the oil pan baffle on the early pan has like 5 holes around where the journals pick the oil up. the later style has 1 hole and the oil would have to get higher before it went back down into the pan for the oil pump to pick it back up. does anyone know if the early oil pan baffle had more holes? and my second question would it be better to put an later style baffle back in the early pan so it collects more oil?
Asron82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #2
denniskliesen

Default Re: Early Oil Pan

There should be no holes in the dipper tray. I would definitely use the later dipper tray before late 31. Look in the RGJS for the different trays and pans throughout the production.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #3
Asron82

Thanks I looked around on the internet and i did find a picture of an early pan dripper tray and it only had 1 hole. I did find on fordgarage.com a dipper tray that look just like mine in the model B oil pan but it also said there is no explanation to it. Anyway i am going to find another dripper tray thanks.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
psimet

Here is mine. It’s a Sept 28. Has the clean out in the pan.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
Gene F

I have a tray that was in my car (March 1928), and it has holes EMBOSSED in it. Guess they used that tray for a few months.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
Asron82

Thanks for the pic someone has been through this engine before my grandfather said the the engine was rebuilt before he got in the 40's and let me tell you i am not sure about the person that rebuilt it because it is tossed together with what ever he could find it looks like. My dipper might been modified or a result of throwing things together lol thanks for the help.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #7
old ugly

it was a thought by folks that that the dipper tray needed holes to let oil drain faster, so they would drill holes. i have seen holes in all sorts of locations on the dipper trays. one of the trays i found had 8- 1/2" holes drilled in it. i have welded the holes up in trays that i needed to use.
the trays never came from ford with the extra holes.
make sure there are no holes in the wells.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:29 PM   #8
Gene F

Reading comments;...the one I had in my 1928 splashed A LOT LESS UP THE PIPE with the counterweights! Anyone know how a windage tray works in a muscle car V-8 ?

I still have it. These were not drilled in a garage. They were pressed holes. Maybe I can find a photo.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
Gene F

March 1928. Guess they used these for about 2 months.

Notice how the tray is stamped for this...(around where my ink pen is). No this is not some home brew thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pan march 1928 with factory holes.jpg (47.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 08-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #10
Asron82

Gene mine looks exactly like your picture could be its twin and mine looks stamped as well clean edges perfectly round holes. Big question should i use my original dripper or find one that was made later with 1 hole? the only advantage i see of the a dripper with 1 hole it would hold more oil for the rods and journals before it went back down into the pan for the oil pump.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:46 PM   #11
old ugly

wow, cool i never saw one like that before.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #12
Gene F

Well it depends on who you talk to. Lets face it, the critical thing is the dipper cavities having oil. My car had an engine in it that had never been rebuilt. The odometer said 50,000 and it never blew up. I tell you this, the mess that comes out of the filler tube is much MUCH less with this tray in there. My engine rebuilder told me he didn't want to use it because they only used them a couple of months. My rebuilder is a shop with 5 people, and all they do it antique car engines.

I have yet to find a service bulletin that says if servicing the bottom end the dealer should change the tray on these cars. Could be the tray was a dollar or two more to make... You are the only other car owner I have ever talked to that has one besides me.

If it is less than desirable, then why do so many people drill, or punch holes in their? Not like I have ever heard anyone say if you punch the holes your motor will bow up.

The first time I ever have the pan off of my new engine I will be hard pressed not to swap mine back out. The 1-year warranty is up.

Just because it is different does not mean it is wrong. My 28 has a 7-tooth steering box. The other years are 2-tooth. Guess they were cheaper, and Henry wanted to ring some costs out, so he could hold to his price.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:20 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Reading comments;...the one I had in my 1928 splashed A LOT LESS UP THE PIPE with the counterweights! Anyone know how a windage tray works in a muscle car V-8 ?

I still have it. These were not drilled in a garage. They were pressed holes. Maybe I can find a photo.
A windage tray works the opposite of a dipper pan. It is designed to keep the oil away from the bottom end and in the pan as much as possible. Some have crank "scrapers" too. A scraper works by being place very close to the crank throws and it "sheers" off excess oil off of the crank
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #14
Gene F

Tim, right, and the tray I showed allows the oil only where it is needed. Just like a windage tray style pan works.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:01 PM   #15
Gene F

Asron82 so how is it coming? You are still looking for a tray with zero holes except around the oil pump, and the overflow at the rear?