Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #1
Ivan in southeast va.

Default Best Parts Per Vendor

Has anyone ever made a list of parts with the best vendors to get them from? I always try to pay attention to who makes the best parts so I can be sure to buy it from them. I know A&L only deal with the vendors now. Some of the vendors are known for certain parts that are better than others, such as Snyders sell the best gas caps, with the two rivets instead of just one. Is there such a list or can we put one together? My apologies if this has already been done but I couldn't find one.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Best Parts Per Vendor

These days, we’re lucky if more than one mfg makes a part. And, hopefully, it’s a decent part…..that isn’t always the case by any means! Many vendors know the quality of what they stock and will be honest about the quality. Ask them…
Besides, what “was” good/great may not even be available now. It’s a moving target
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:49 PM   #3
BillCNC

I've had good parts and bad parts from just about all the vendors so its a wash. Lately, I try to order as close to me as possible to save on shipping. Even then, sometimes one parts house has things another doesn't and sometimes that makes the decision for you.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:26 PM   #4
gdmn852

Hello, I mostly deal with Snyders as the are close by , also if you ask about a item the will give you a decent answer, case in point , repro fenders, they require rework to get them to fit, same can be said about running board splash aprons. Probably most vendors source from same manufacture.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #5
31a

I am not close to any of them have had good luck with Snyders and Mikes if it is a hard part to find Berts in Denver usually has it.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:52 AM   #6
denis4x4

Bert's Model A in Lakewood CO will note the quality of an item if there are two of the same part number. Also notes country of origin. Freight costs are hast becoming an issue.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:26 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde

In my view, there are three kinds of reproduction parts, (1) those duplicated from an existing original, (2) those made from the original Ford engineering drawing and, (3) Those modernized but closely resemble original parts.
(2) is the best because it should result in close to nominal dimension parts made with the same processes as the original.
(1) is mostly a copy of original parts with their inherent deviations from the nominal dimension part of the engineering drawing. Such seems to be the case especially with several sheet metal items.
(3) is a definite buyer beware case. However, there have been outstanding parts such as the Burtz Engine, the Thermo Quail, Flathead Ted's Brake Kit, the leakless water pumps, the aluminum 2-blade fan, the 2-piece crankshaft pulley, insert main & rod bearings, hi-compression cylinder heads and others.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
Synchro909

I very rarely buy from the US these days since USPS stopped sending mail here but I used to deal often with Sammy Guthrie in Phoenix, Az. He has forgotten more about Model As than I will ever know and is selective about where he sources various parts. When I order, I am comfortable that I will get the best available. There have even been times I have specified something I wanted and he'd tell me not to buy that - this one is better and so it was.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:11 PM   #9
JimG1127

I'm impressed with Snyders. I think the quality of the parts is excelant. My most recent order, I ordered the parts online Friday morning. They were delivered to my house lunch time Sunday!
They always have a technical person available to answer questions. That really helps a novice like me!
JimG1127 is offline   Reply With Quote