Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
ericr

Default Who, or What, is "Vintique"?

I see references to Vintique parts, usually in a negative context...well, actually, I have not seen one favorable reference to them.

Searching for them on the 'net leads to very little information. Are they apparently mainly a hot rod conversion company? They apparently do not sell a general line of Model "A" parts...do they primarily sell to Model A parts houses? What items are they famous/infamous for?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
springerpete

Default Re: Who, or What, is "Vintique"?

My experience with Vintique parts has been OK. I get my parts from TAM'S in Massachusetts and they sell Vintique. Mirrors, wind wing parts etc. Never had a problem.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Chris Haynes

Vintique parts may look like Ford. But all the threads are different so correct Ford hardware won't work with them. Good for hot rods, not original cars.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
wrndln

Vintique, I believe is based in California, not that it matters. Many of their items are not very good copies or duplicates of the original Ford part they make. However recently I purchased some female dovetail pickup plates and they were made very colse to identical to the worn original dovetails on my 29 CCPU. I was pleasantly surprised at the very good quality from Vintique (the Vintique name was on the plastic bag they were in). I have seen a number of Vintique parts I was not impressed with in the past, but I have to give them credit for the nice dovetail plates.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
fredski

I ordered from macs cowl lites for my town sedan and they were vintique
lites. I believe other suppliers get the same vintique part when ordering
cowl lights.

finish was good but fit was off angle and I had to make angled shim to
correct that.

fred
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
barnstuf

Vintique Inc. is a manufacturer wholesaler who makes or has made for them a line of parts for Model T, Model A, Early Ford V8, and yes some hot rod parts. Their parts are principally in the accessory line but they do make some basic parts too. For Model A folks they are primarily known for stone guards, motometers, quails, luggage racks, mirror, windings, window regulators, glass sediment bowls, etc, etc. It is an old firm and its immediate predecessor was the (Sheldon) Greenland Company and the Greenland name is still found today on a few old items like the Quail radiator cap base or the motometer flip top cap base that have been in service for years. Vintique has drawn criticism for a certain few parts very close copies, but not a perfect fit. Most of their products are good, but there are exceptions. An example is for years one complaint was the instrument panel lower screw holes were not properly spaced and the panels were chrome instead of butler finish nickel.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
zzlegend

I do believe the Vintique is owned by C.W. Moss in old town orange. I have bought from them a number of times but I think snyders and brattons and berts have better quality items on most things. But in a pinch they are close.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski View Post
I ordered ... cowl lites ... and they were Vintique lites...finish was good but fit was off angle and I had to make angled shim to correct that.
I had the same problem with my cowl lites.

There are some items that no matter where you order them from, they are going to be Vintique. Some are OK, others are not so OK, but are the only repop available.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I had the same problem with my cowl lites.

There are some items that no matter where you order them from, they are going to be Vintique. Some are OK, others are not so OK, but are the only repop available.
Sadly true!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

to answer your question vintique is a repop maker of replacement model A parts that all of the suppliers distribute. in most cases they are the only option short of restoring an original item back to specs. certain things fit good and others have a lot to be desired. your favorite jobber can tell you the fit and quality of a particular item before purchasing it. i guess all in all were lucky to have these things available to us so i am not complaining.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
Chris Haynes

I bought a set of reproduction tail lamp mounting screws. When I tried to install them they were the wrong thread. C. W. Moss, who sold the Vintique hardware to me, told me that they fit their reproduction tail lamps. So they obviously make the tail lamps with the incorrect thread size.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
ericr

they apparently make the '29 hood shelves, which is another frustrating repro part to deal with. According to Bratton's catalog, now not even the holes are spaced correctly. years ago, Ray out at Brookville Roadster showed me a NOS set he bought as a model to possibly reproduce them, but apparently nothing came of it.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
John LaVoy

Vintique is a parts wholesale operation. They have been making reproduction parts for years.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

"The finest in reproduction parts" it says so on their box.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 AM   #15
Charlville

Whilst I can understand the criticism of Vintique, I wonder what we would all do if there were no repop parts at all? Do any of the large organisations such as MAFCA, MARC or the AACA have any sort of communication channels with repop manufacturers, to improve quality?
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #16
ronn

Just bought a dash on the bay that was Vintique. Looks good and very inexpensive.
No problems at all.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #17
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
they apparently make the '29 hood shelves, which is another frustrating repro part to deal with. According to Bratton's catalog, now not even the holes are spaced correctly. years ago, Ray out at Brookville Roadster showed me a NOS set he bought as a model to possibly reproduce them, but apparently nothing came of it.
This goes back a few years, but then the Vintique 29 hood shelves didn't have the proper bend to go over the frame horns. One of the suppliers (Bratton's or Snyder's) did some additional work on them to make them fit properly before sending them out.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #18
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I thought Bratton got his hoods and misc from ROOTLIEB co. THE BEST OF 2 COMPANYS.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #19
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
This goes back a few years, but then the Vintique 29 hood shelves didn't have the proper bend to go over the frame horns. One of the suppliers (Bratton's or Snyder's) did some additional work on them to make them fit properly before sending them out.
The one's I bought from Snyders didn't fit very well 2 years ago.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Purdy Swoft

I use original parts when I can find them . There are a lot of parts that nobody else makes. Vintique parts are not perfect. A lot of us with driver cars would be SOL if it wasn't for companies like Vintique. The price is usually very reasonable but some of the parts require fitting or are made of pot metal and not of original quality. There are so many necessary parts that are made by Vintique that if they were not available, most driver cars would be missing a lot of parts. Just to name a couple of necessary parts, how about window cranks and inside door handles ?
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote