Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2022, 06:32 PM   #1
russcc

Default 12V Resistor type coil.

Running the 59L on 12 volts. I prefer not to fool with resistors, and have run it with a resistor type coil for years, and it runs great.

I have not bought a new coil for years. Which resistor type coil is a quality product, preferably made in the USA ? Thank you.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:13 PM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: 12V Resistor type coil.

I use a 12 volt Bosch internal resistor Blue Coil. Part number 012. Its what Buba recommended for the Chevy distributor conversion on my 8ba. No issues for 5 years or so.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #3
JayChicago

As said above, I have read several knowledgeable ignition experts recommend the Bosch Blue coil. It's 3 ohm, so appropriate for 12 volt, no resistor.
Probably not made in USA. Bosch is a German company. Don't know if any coil is actually manufactured in the USA. Even Fomoco or Delco or Mopar electronic products are probably made elsewhere.
BTW, don't be tempted to go with a high performance, race engine coil. They can over-power the flathead's distributor and spark plug leads, cause shorting somewhere before reaching the spark plug.

Last edited by JayChicago; 05-30-2022 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added "as said above"
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:08 PM   #4
Flathead Fever

I remember those Bosch blue coils being the hot ticket on the sand rails and Baja bugs in the 1970s. They took a pounding and never failed. It still seems to be everybody's favorite. It would be nice to think there is still someone making a quality part.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:00 PM   #5
GB SISSON

I ordered one last week on ebay. The posting showed our old favorite with that nice thick coat of blue paint. Mine came in a bare aluminum case with a blue bosch stick on label. I was going to send it back but did research and everything seemed to say it superceeds the one we know. It is made in Brazil, which to bosch coil nuts online means it is a good one. Let's find a company to order from that still stocks the tried and true. Not a big deal probably, just a heads up.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:28 PM   #6
Tinker

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Being bosch should be from Germany or the big check. Think they have been made in South America for quite a while.

I have one in a box when they were selling low yrs ago just encase. I'm still 6volt but who knows.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:51 AM   #7
Automotive Stud

I've been running a Bosch blue coil also, my only issue is hard starting when hot. I actually am switching to a Mallory coil with an external ballast resistor so I can bypass the ballast resistor on startup like many factory cars used in the '60's. We'll see if that helps.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:55 AM   #8
jailhousebob

I have had 2 bosch blue coils go bad and leave me on the side of the road.Both coils were less than 2 monthes old.After the 2nd one i bought an accel and hooked up the external resistor again.That one has lasted 4 years w/o a problem. I bought the bosch after hearing everybody say good things about them but they didn't work out for me.Bob
jailhousebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:38 PM   #9
flatjack9

Never had a problem with that Bosch coil. I use them in most of my builds.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:16 AM   #10
OldCadillac

In my opinion Bosch has now not the same quality like in the past. But this depends on it where the part was manufactured. I already had a bad new blue coil which was broken after very short time. Normally Bosch was the original equipment in all the old Mercedes. But now when I need new spark plugs for Mercedes, I always buy NGK plugs. They run mostly much better as the Bosch if they where manufactured in India or Russia. I don’t know what ignition parts Bosch still produce here in Germany. Or if they do…
I have no experience with NGK coils but perhaps they could be an alternative?

Tom
OldCadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:38 PM   #11
wga

Russ - bought mine 4 years ago and still running fine with either distributor I've used -
Mallory dual point and a Bubba GM conversion.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #12
BUBBAS IGNITION

Bosch 00012 amazon .com

I have never never seen a defective Bosch blue ignition coil and suggest using the Bosch coil...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51pDbpM5TIL._AC_SL1000_.jpg (35.1 KB, 137 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote