Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2022, 09:12 PM   #1
Eagle43

Default Did Some Painting Today

I spent the last couple of weeks making more progress on my 1952 F-1. Last year I did the body work and painting of the cab, front fenders and hood as well as cleaning up and painting the frame. Now I'm working on the bed, rear fenders and running boards. I spent today painting the rear fenders and the tailgate with three coats of Vermillion. I thought I would share some pictures. I built a temporary paint booth inside my garage out of 2 x 2s and plastic. The fenders are mounted on a cart with expanding wings. The bed is also mounted on a cart. This makes it easy to move in and out of the paint booth. For ventilation I have a fan sucking fumes out through a furnace filter close to the floor and two intake filters on the opposite side close to the ceiling. For personal protection I use my old CPAP machine that sits outside and blows fresh air through a length of sump pump hose attached to a hood that covers my head and shoulders. I wear a disposable coverall. This is the third vehicle I've painted this way and it seems to work well at almost no cost. If I have time tomorrow, I'll bring in the bed and give it a couple of coats of epoxy primer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220923_190157_1.jpg (54.0 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220923_185912_5.jpg (46.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220923_185748_1.jpg (32.8 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220923_190139_5.jpg (42.1 KB, 638 views)
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:31 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Did Some Painting Today

"I thought I would share some pictures."- Eagle43

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:50 PM   #3
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I spent the last couple of weeks making more progress on my 1952 F-1. Last year I did the body work and painting of the cab, front fenders and hood as well as cleaning up and painting the frame. Now I'm working on the bed, rear fenders and running boards. I spent today painting the rear fenders and the tailgate with three coats of Vermillion. I thought I would share some pictures. I built a temporary paint booth inside my garage out of 2 x 2s and plastic. The fenders are mounted on a cart with expanding wings. The bed is also mounted on a cart. This makes it easy to move in and out of the paint booth. For ventilation I have a fan sucking fumes out through a furnace filter close to the floor and two intake filters on the opposite side close to the ceiling. For personal protection I use my old CPAP machine that sits outside and blows fresh air through a length of sump pump hose attached to a hood that covers my head and shoulders. I wear a disposable coverall. This is the third vehicle I've painted this way and it seems to work well at almost no cost. If I have time tomorrow, I'll bring in the bed and give it a couple of coats of epoxy primer.

I like the CPAP idea.! hadn't thought of that!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:35 AM   #4
ronn

Looks like a pro!!!!! nice.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
PeteVS

What do you use for the undersides of the fenders? Body color? Black? And is the inside, if different color, get painted before or after the outside?
Old 09-24-2022, 08:38 AM   #6
deuce_roadster

If you are going to be doing much more of this, get a real supplied air system, your lungs are worth the cost. Modern catalyzed products are nothing to fool around with. At least you thought about protection.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
RKS.PA

Nice job!! Painting is a gift I don't have!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #8
wga

Deuce Roadster makes an excellent comment. Those chemicals get into your eyes, skin, etc. Check that AC filter in the pic, it is all red, you need several of these for supply and exhaust.
We can't take chances on our lungs, mine were comprised with asbestos in the USN.
Be careful.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:53 AM   #9
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wga View Post
Deuce Roadster makes an excellent comment. Those chemicals get into your eyes, skin, etc. Check that AC filter in the pic, it is all red, you need several of these for supply and exhaust.
We can't take chances on our lungs, mine were comprised with asbestos in the USN.
Be careful.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #10
Lawson Cox

I hope this isn't the true color of your truck. It is coming up as a really HOT PINK on my screen.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:22 PM   #11
Eagle43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
What do you use for the undersides of the fenders? Body color? Black? And is the inside, if different color, get painted before or after the outside?
I painted the underside with POR15 with a brush before the outside. I'll brush on another coat of black to cover any overspray and probably brush on a coat of undercoat material to protect against gravel.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:23 PM   #12
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
I hope this isn't the true color of your truck. It is coming up as a really HOT PINK on my screen.
It is coming up like that on mine screen also. I imagine it is the lighting.
At least I hope it is!!
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:47 PM   #13
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
Always admire someone like you who takes on job like this, does it right and learns the skill.

Of course I've seen a few cars that look they were painted with a broom in a sandstorm I don't admire so much.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:09 AM   #14
Eagle43

Thanks for all the responses. Let me address some of the concerns brought up.
1. The color. It may look hot pink on your screen, but it is the correct Ford Vermillion and looks fine in real life.
2. I share the concern for the dangers of fumes. I think I'm well protected. The CPAP blows filtered fresh air from outside into my hooded face mask. The incoming air is coming in at the same pressure that I receive from my CPAP all night long when I'm sleeping. This positive air pressure inside my mask guarantees that no fumes get to my nose, lungs, face or eyes. The rest of my body is protected by coveralls and gloves.
3. The bright red exhaust filter pictured just shows that the exhaust fan and filters are effectively pulling out the overspray and keeping it out of the rest of the garage and the neighborhood.
4. This will probably be my last restoration since my eightieth birthday is coming up soon.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:41 AM   #15
A bones

Happy Birthday to You !!!!!
Old 09-25-2022, 12:04 PM   #16
38bill

"1. The color. It may look hot pink on your screen, but it is the correct Ford Vermillion and looks fine in real life."

I too was wondering about the color. My red truck can appear as pumpkin orange under some lighting.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #17
PeteVS

I downloaded one of the pictures and played with the colors. I don't know if this looks much better but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Red Paint.jpeg (54.5 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg Red Paint 02.jpg (13.4 KB, 388 views)
Old 09-25-2022, 10:01 PM   #18
cas3

Looks really nice on my screen, I only have one suggestion, that is unless you really can lay down a perfect top coat, which most people can't, you should put on more than 3 coats so it can be wet sanded and buffed so you too can look like a pro. carry on
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:17 PM   #19
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I downloaded one of the pictures and played with the colors. I don't know if this looks much better but...

Old 09-26-2022, 12:02 AM   #20
terry_208

I had real concerns when I painted my 57. The paint in the can and on the car looked pink until it dried. I am color blind but could see it. My neighbor, a retired fire chief, says that my car is fire engine red.
terry_208 is offline   Reply With Quote