Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Has anybody done it?

This is for a modified car but, I want to add signal lights but DO NOT want an ugly signalstat sticking out the side of my steering column. What I want to do is rig up a signalstat of some kind that mounts down the column and id actuated by the spark adjustment lever (I'm not running a banger so the lever will be available for this purpose). Anyone design/use something like this?. how about any other signal light switch that leaves the appearance of a clean original steering column?.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: Has anybody done it?

I bought a fordor several years ago that had the switch in the engine bay, and the spark lever operated it with a link.
I use a system from Tickin' Through Time that hides the controls on the firewall, or under the seat, and has a mini toggle switch on the shift lever. Not as hidden as using the spark lever, but handy to have the switch right at hand when changing gears around a corner.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
springerpete

I made my own switch using a DPDT (Ithink )switch I got from an electrical shop and I made a small metal box out of Aluminum sheet to put it in. I fastened it to the steering column with a ss clamp similar to a hose clamp. Painted the whole thing black. It is small and not easily seen.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Keith True

I saw a setup like that years ago.They had mounted an old signal switch on the firewall,and used a piece of the spark control rod to activate it.It was all old,so it looked like it belonged there.I have a signal switch mounted on my left cowl brace,tucked up to the side of the gas tank on a 30.It is mounted with one bolt,and on it's side,so for a right turn I pick the lever up,for a left I push down.You kind of have to stand on your head to see it in the car.With just the one bolt through it I thought it might pivot over time,but it hasn't happened in almost 10 years so I'm not concerned about it.It is just a plain old signal switch from a 30's truck,just right and left,no flasher knob or pilot lamp.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
bnchief

Tyree Harris sent me a toggle switch that works i set it up in my 30 tudor It will let you use the single pole bulbs. pm me if i can help you.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Floats

Hi 007,
I have been thinking along the same lines for some time. I don't really want to modify my 28 Model A RPU but I prefer the Chevy with "automatic" advance. My wife copes very well with the spark lever but also prefers driving the Chevy for the same reason.
Traffic here in South Africa is increasing daily and speeding up exponentially. I have therefor fitted an extra tail light on both old cars, as well as a third LED brake light, each.
Please share photos of your progress.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
JohnLaVoy

I know of someone who did a similar conversion but found that the grooves on the spark advance wore out because of all the use.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
1crosscut

I like the idea of using the spark advance lever if it is not used as in your case. However that will put electronics that would be visible when the hood is opened.
I used the system from Electro - Tech. They have a small momentary toggle switch available that I used. I tucked the switch up under the left corner of the dash rail using a small bracket and the existing screw fastener for the dash rail. Only the black lever on the switch sticks out a short distance. No one has yet to notice it being there.
The turn signals will cancel after 14 flashes. Nice thing is that while you have the brakes applied the signals continue to flash and those flashes do not count against your remaining number of flashes. So if you used up 7 flashes before putting on your brakes you will have 7 more left when you release them and enter the intersection to complete your turn.
I added a couple of very small 6 volt LED lights from Radio Shack up in the top left corner of my cab as indicator lights. Red for port and Green for starboard.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
Y-Blockhead

I made my own . Installed a SPDT Switch under the dash rail to the left of the steering column. Can't see it but easy to get to. Cheap and easy to fab...

Looking at my drawing after I posted, I forgot the fuse before the flasher on the power in wire.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-25-2016 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Add text.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

LTK, If interested, my front turn lights are in the headlight buckets. If you look closely you can see the amber bulb in the picture below. For the rear I use small lights that resemble the headlights. They have clear lenses but are filled with RED LEDs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Turn Signal.jpg (47.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Turn Signal.jpg (65.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
Rainmaker Ron

When I built my never been one like this town sedan 15 years ago I started with a list of what would I like to have if I could have anything.High on my list was self cancelling turn signals. I used parts from a 51 column and married it all up until all you see is the turn lever. My car has 100 modifications but few are obvious. My favorite is the talking alarm that warns hey, your lights are on if in fact I forget to turn them off. I used a voice module from radio shack to built it. Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
mike657894

Here is a video. I put my blinkers in the headlights. Im not sure if all cars had the parking light bulb but I wired the blinkers in those sockets. I have the standard ugly blinker switch. the tails are the speedway repop they are close to origionals. They are stamped the same but the bowl is 1/2 inch deeper. the off light flashing is due to me powering the sytem with a battery charger at 2 amps. I add that info because that seems to be the focus of comments on the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfu9EfRDcqY
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
I know of someone who did a similar conversion but found that the grooves on the spark advance wore out because of all the use.
Wear of those notches was the first thing I thought of but I quickly dismissed it as a concern if I replaced the spring at the bottom of the control rod with a weaker one - just strong enough to prevent the indicators turning themselves on or off. A little lube on the notches would also help.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #14
MAG

Uses Cowl Lights and Tail (Stop) Lights. Apologize for poor quality of pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Turn Signals.jpg (40.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 12-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
LTK, If interested, my front turn lights are in the headlight buckets. If you look closely you can see the amber bulb in the picture below. For the rear I use small lights that resemble the headlights. They have clear lenses but are filled with RED LEDs.
Where did you find your bullet shaped lights?

They would also work and look good on the front.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:43 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Where did you find your bullet shaped lights?

They would also work and look good on the front.
Tom, I got them off ebay, similar to these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cowl-Lights-...item237987ed28

I agree, they would look good on the front. In fact I thought about using them but I have 5" Fog Lights on the front and it looked a little too busy to me.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #17
CT Jack

I have installed 2 solid state turn signal units made by Electro-Tech, 1 in my 31 Coupe and 1 in my 49 Studebaker truck. This unit works great. The control module is very small and can mount anywhere under the dash consealed. I have mine mounted behind the front left kick panel with adhesive backed velcro. This unit accepts 6v or 12v positive or negative ground connections, both incandesent and LED lamps can be used together and will flash at the same rate, it cancels automatically after 15seconds which is adjustable, it has emergency flashing, and many more functions. The turn signal switch can be located on the column or from a 2 position momentary toggle switch. I am using the 2 position toggle switch which is mounted under the front dash panel and is hidden. My tail lights, cowl lights and third brake light all operate as directionals. All of these lights are LED and are very visible. This turn signal unit has many other nice features one of which is when you turn on the signal for a turn while stationary with the brake pedal down like you would at a traffic light, the unit keeps flashing until you release the brake then it times out and shuts off. I highly recommend this product.
The following is the link for Electro-Tech Products http://www.turnswitch.com/[/URL]
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #18
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

CT Jack, that is a pretty impressive unit.
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:07 AM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWizard View Post
CT Jack, that is a pretty impressive unit.
I agree, sounds like a well thought out unit.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #20
Licensed to kill

A lot of great information and ideas. Thanks for all the input it is very much appreciated.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote