Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Onlybackroads

Default Cross Country, in a Stock Coupe!

Ok folks, I'm gonna start this thread here and now…

My buddy and I are going to drive my stock 1930 Coupe from California to Louisiana, to Arkansas at the end of September. I am 25, and my buddy is 33, and we've been back and forth across the country many times in many different ways, but not yet in an antique automobile. I am expecting both criticism and encouragement, so bring it on! I will update this thread as much as I can, although I don't have my own computer and I don't know how often I'll be able to post while on the trip.

We both play traditional fiddle music, love cars, love America, love adventure, and love antiques so this seems like only the right thing to do. We'll be driving short amounts every day, camping and playing music in small towns on backroads and probably even playing music at gas stations hopefully in return for gasoline! We're giving ourselves 30 days to make it from Concord, CA to Lafayette, LA. We'll be leaving around the 25th of September, so until then I will be going over my car hundreds of times, re-checking things more than they need to be checked, and vaguely planning out our route. It's also fun just to see where we end up, and not completely setting the route in stone. Hotels are not part of the plan, instead we have military canvas pup tents and wool blankets, it's fun to pretend like it's the old days while my body is still young…

I don't know if it's acceptable to ask this, but if anyone feels like donating anything to help us get across the country, I would more than appreciate it. I don't want to come off as a bum, but I am young and don't have a pile of money so anything would help. Otherwise we'll just do our thing and go anyway!

Last edited by Onlybackroads; 09-01-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Onlybackroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Cross Country, in a Stock Coupe!

You need to take along a copy of MAFCA Membership Roster. Lots of Great Model A Folks across the country That I am sure will help out if needed! Including car help ,food ,lodging etc. Have a safe trip and enjoy while your still young and able.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
700rpm

Good luck, Sean. Keep us posted. And take Gary's advice.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
J Franklin

Blog your trip and it should attract a big following.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #5
Onlybackroads

Sorry for the dust bowl remark, I had no idea, didn't mean for that to come off as insensitive! I do think one of my biggest worries is getting run over by someone else driving and not paying attention. I do have the roster, I am very grateful for it and think it will be a big help. I will update the planned route as we figure it out, to give folks a heads up of when/where we might be rolling through.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
john charlton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Keep us all posted on your progress . Very nice to see young model "A ers" in action .Our hobby needs a new generation to come in and enthuse and appreciate the wonderfull model A as most of us have passed our sell by date !!! It is technically impossible to be seen as a bum if you are in a model A so dont worry about that . Take the rural roads and stay off the freeway if you can and put a pair of big red reflective warning triangles on your back bumper .

John in cloudy mild morning Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:10 AM   #7
nickair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
You need to take along a copy of MAFCA Membership Roster. Lots of Great Model A Folks across the country That I am sure will help out if needed! Including car help ,food ,lodging etc. Have a safe trip and enjoy while your still young and able.

Gary above has great advice. Advertise like you are here for assistance en-route. You will likely have many offers as Gary said.

This method of has been successful for many on an adventure, in the old days. It has worked well whether flying planes, driving cars, or boating along a river or ocean shore. You just have to get people to help you get the word out.

A few years ago I saw, in Alaska, a model A that some guys drove from New York to Alaska. They had just made it to Toke Alaska. They had a big tool box along with 2 spare tires and fuel cans with them.

What a great adventure. Enjoy.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
bikejunk

is a month long enough? despite what we read in the news America is still a great country and the only way to really see it is not to zip by at 70 mph on the highway enjoy and keep us posted.

hey can you post some videos of your music?
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
BigErn

Wow, what a great trip. Wish you were headed through our way, I too play traditional music, old time banjo and guitar. I would add to the great safety comments already posted that turn signals and 4 way flashers would be a good idea. Many people don't know hand signals and they never did work well in the dark. Also some portable safety triangles to put on the road if you do need to pull over for a repair.
BigErn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
modelAtony

ONLYBACKROADS. You guys are going to have a great time, BUT won't be fun doing this in a STOCK car. Let's say you are going to run about 47 mph this will actually break down to 37 mph [ this would be your actual driving time with fuel and eating stops] Concord,CA to Lafayette,LA traveling Interstate is 2150 miles. this will be a total of 58 hrs driving time if you figure this way you would arrive at your destination within 20-30 minutes. The big problem will be not having a 5.9-- 6.0 head and some kind of overdrive then you could travel 63 mph and average 53 mph and make your driving time running on big road and be here in 40 hrs plus your sleeping time. But you will have a great time which ever way you go. Please contact RICHARD PARISH in Anaheim, CA he is here at Richard in anaheim, ca tel 714-393-8582 a few years ago he and his wife went across to the east coast in their Tudor and did mostly TENT camping. His wife did posting of their trip almost daily. GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM and get the DOES and DONT'S of his trip. I live in Lafayette, LA when you come get with me and come eat with our group and lets us come listen to yall bend those strings. have fun modelAtony Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
NCDave

That sounds like a great trip! Hope you can post some pre-trip photos of your coupe in the near future, and I agree that you should keep a blog, and plenty of notes and photos, as you might want to write an article on all this after you have done the trip.

You won't have a lot of room in a coupe, and there are some must-carry Model A supplies--I will defer to those who have better experience there. I bought some small round round red LED lights on Amazon that are magnetized and run on AA batteries,and give you some extra visibility on the car, in case of a breakdown or late day travel; they would be independent of your battery. The safety triangle would be good, as already mentioned. Carry a tow strap and fire extinguisher, and hope you don't have to use it.

My advice on personal preps would be to consider your own creature comforts, even at the expense of not being too authentic; that is, a lightweight modern tent w/screen might be less weight than canvas, and give you some bug protection, too. Thermacells work great to ward off mosquitoes in your camp. You want to be able to enjoy the trip, and get some sleep if roadside camping. You would be wise to take some basic survival supplies such as waterproof matches, firestarter, good knives, small quality battery lanterns and flashlights, drinking water tablets/straw, and a lightweight tarp and paracord (very handy stuff). All this won't take up much space or weight, but will be great to have it you need it. I am assuming you are experienced campers here.

Once you decide on a route, assess the hazards and season in the area and plan accordingly; consider that you will be in prime hurricane season down south, as that may affect your travel plans. Practice situation awareness at all times and stay ahead of problems as you can.

Local TV on your route would likely be interested in doing a feature, and that may be beneficial to your effort to garner some donations or meet people. Could notify those outlets. Excellent idea to link up with local Model A or other automobile clubs, and some of them might even want to travel a segment with you (and there is safety in numbers in some areas).

Have a lot of fun.
NCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
JohnLaVoy

Traveling the back roads in a stock Model A is a great adventure. I only went from Northern California to Albuquerque NM in 1966 but my room mate and my cousin drove back to the MAFCA National Convention. Car was bone stock and trouble free. You might consider checking out various local chapters and find out when they are having a meeting. Dropping in on the locals along the way will give you insights to the area along with assistance if you happen to need any.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
Flathead

Bring a smartphone and a means to keep it charged. Be sure you can lock your car if you have to leave it somewhere. Don't bring your best fiddle in case of heat, rain, theft, or damage. They travelled distances years ago in Model A's, it should still be possible. Watch out for minimum speeds posted on some highways, and don't make the old girl go faster than she wants to. Much good advice already given by others.
You probably have all these things under control but I just figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. This sounds like a great trip, have fun and GOOD LUCK!! You could post some pics with that phone too
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
Terry,NJ

Wow! I envy you! Well Sorta! I made that trip last year at the end of Sept too. However, I had a new Ford Transit with AC and I was able to maintain 70-80 mph. My advice would be to find 50-60 mph roads (route 66 ?)and stay off the interstates Insulate your floor boards, My coupe gets hot inside. Carry extra water and a "Bandaid" radiator sealer. Know your vehicle! Does it run hot? Guzzle gas? or any other characteristic that might get you into trouble. I don't know how much gas you're are going to be able to barter for, not much I'd assume, but try it. Best of luck!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Onlybackroads

The interstate is definitely not part of our plan, 2-lane all the way. We did a trip to North Carolina last year in a Dodge Ram that ran off of fry oil, all on 2-lane roads and it was great, got to see much better things than from the interstate. This time I think we'll try out a different route though. Thank you all for the advice, it's much appreciated. I will try and get some photos soon, I have a budget phone so I can't take pictures on it...
Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #16
Onlybackroads

Old 09-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #17
armchair67

Do it! I've done cross country many times , in both newer vehicles and old air cooled Volkswagens (beetles and buses). About a dozen years ago 6 friends and I drove two VW buses from Chicago to California, camping much of the way and man what a great time. Yes the older stuff is slower and who cares if there is ok a/c-you'll love. Hands down if take a vintage car over a new one for cross country again. Just purchased a model A Tudor and when I get it to a point of being reliable id love to do the same , although taking back roads. Be safe, Buckle up and have fun!
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
chiliman

Keep dayly records and lots of pictures and contact Jim Spawn IM sure he would love to do a aritical for the Restorer to bad you aren't coming through kc you guys could play with Jims band May God Bless you and keep you safe have a blessed trip prayers heading your way
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
Benson

If you have an original steel two blade fan (they look like an airplane propeller) it would be good to replace it. They are rusted inside and break without warning, damaging radiators. hoods and etc.

The Aluminum two blades are nice replacements.

Also the 6 blade plastic fans.

I have run one of the old 1930's 4 blade steel fans for many years.

Last week I replaced the 4 blade with a new 6 blade plastic fan.

Right away I noticed how smooth the engine runs now ... amazing!

What I thought was engine vibrations all these years was just the out of balance 4 blade steel fan.

A smooth engine will make the trip MUCH more enjoyable.

As a test you could start with a cold engine and remove the fan belt and go for a SHORT test drive to see if it runs smoother before spending money.

Last edited by Benson; 09-07-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #20
christian

very glad to see you are taking this trip on. Im in the preliminary planning stages of a cross country trip also. I live right on the atlantic ocean in NJ and plan on driving out to LA in my 31 s/w. I feel i am cheating a bit with my high comp head, aer inserted engine and f150 gearbox but hey, still a challenge. I wanted to do this trip before my 30th birthday this november but I dont have enough vacation time saved up yet. Hopefully by early spring I'll have the necessary time available.