Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Dual Exhaust

Could someone post the link the photos of the working dual exhaust manifold again? I'd like to take another look and I lost the link.

Has anyone else tried it? How about with a downdraft setup?

signed,

dazed and confused about what intake to order.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Hows This ...

<center></center>

( http://www.model-t-ford.com/chaffin_.../bwoodexh1.jpg )

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Re: Hows This ...

That's it, but how would one put a downdraft setup on there?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Default Re: Hows This ...

<center></center>

&lt;font size=4&gt; By &quot;fabbing&quot; an intake manifold yourself. What carb. are you wanting to run, and why do you feel you need a downdraft? (Remember the addage that &quot;If a little's good ... then a bunch AIN'T necessarily better!!) I think a side-draft would be more era authentic and the only way I would consider a downdraft is if I was building my own exhaust manifold or header system.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Default downdraft

I want to use a VW carb, they should have a more precise mix than the T's, and flow more air (I'm looking for about 100 cfm). And then there is the electric choke.

I want to make this one &quot;turn-key&quot;, with no messin' with it to make it run right.

I also will be running a '15 hood, there is not enough room in there for sidedrafts.

The gas tank is going to be low in the frame, at the rear of the car, so I will be running a pump anyway.

I think I will be trying an A exhaust manifold, and an aftermarket intake from Lang's. I like the dual, it would be somethign to have two exhaust pipes coming out the back, but I have to have room for a carb in there somewhere.

I suppose I should make up my mind soon!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Default Re: downdraft

I've seen *1* downdraft on a T, and the guy had probs with it all the time. First from the heat from the exhaust (it's hard to get away from that gasoline boiler next to the carb!), second from linkage (well, that was his own engineering), third from space considerations (forget the stock hood, you're taking up too much space, unless you're on top of the motor next to the exposed top spark plugs, which I don't even want to think about!).

Even tho VW carbs work on VW's, the jetting, vacuum demand, and CFM consideratins are different from a VW flat 4 to a Inline 4 T motor. Add an electric choke, which will flood the motor more often than not (*NOT* good on splash-oil motors) and I can't see the advantage. OK, maybe I'm a fuddy-duddy or something, but to me, it's easier to fix problems with the &quot;stock&quot; carbs than a VW carb on the side of the road (BTDT, both cars).

If it were me I'd go with a Zenith Sidedraft - 1 1/2&quot; throat, the controls match what's on the car, and you don't have to do any miracle engineering to make them work (Well, I never did!)

Good Luck,

Sus