Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default charging a battery with the magneto?

Oh, and a second one: is it possible to charge a battery with the magneto? I admit it sounds a bit ridiculous, since the engine needs electricity while running, which comes from the magneto (and probably should); but I'm hoping in my wildest dreams that what comes out of the magneto is more than what is needed for ignition. True or false?

Richard

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: charging a battery with the magneto?

Richard

Lang's Old Car Parts sells the Funprojects kit made exactly for this purpose.

I strongly suggest you use it as opposed to trying to design one yourself because it has a built in fail safe mechanism to prevent any battery voltage feedback getting into the magneto which would result in your magnets being demagnatised, which needless to say, would be a disaster.

Good luck

Ron the Coilman

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Thanks a zillion; glad to know that there's a way. I'll check it out.

Richard

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

We have a club member who has toured thousands of miles since 1986 with his '15 touring with starter and battery but no generator.

The car is equipped with 20's headlights and gets the battery charged from the magnetto only. And he runs the car on magnetto and always starts it with the starter. No problem unless you run at idle with the lights on for hours at a time. But he has driven it several times on the Christmas lights tours around the San Jose neighborhoods and then back to his hometown, all after dark and with the lights remaining on at all times.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Richard

Lang's Old Car Parts sells the Funprojects kit made exactly for this purpose.

I strongly suggest you use it as opposed to trying to design one yourself because it has a built in fail safe mechanism to prevent any battery voltage feedback getting into the magneto which would result in your magnets being demagnatised, which needless to say, would be a disaster.

Good luck

Ron the Coilman

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Thanks a zillion; glad to know that there's a way. I'll check it out.

Richard

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

We have a club member who has toured thousands of miles since 1986 with his '15 touring with starter and battery but no generator.

The car is equipped with 20's headlights and gets the battery charged from the magnetto only. And he runs the car on magnetto and always starts it with the starter. No problem unless you run at idle with the lights on for hours at a time. But he has driven it several times on the Christmas lights tours around the San Jose neighborhoods and then back to his hometown, all after dark and with the lights remaining on at all times.