Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default model T coil

does any one have a model T coil that works and that theyd sell for cheap? im tryin to put together a cheap flame thrower kit. thanks.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: model T coil

Think twice about your flame-thrower. What we could get away with for laughs in the 1940's will get you a lawsuit or worse in 2002.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

A flamethrower? Why? Are you de-foresting a hill, or doing it for kicks? Either way, them thar things could be Dangerous! We had one hell of a wildfire out here started by someone "burning weeds" with a flamethrower made from a gasoline blowtorch. Lost twenty-something homes.

I *have* seen a T coil (it even had the Ford script burnt into the side) that ran the ignition for this old oil-fired heater. It fed from a tramsformer, through the pump motor, to a spark gap (I rented a basement apartment once with one of these howling meanies in the corner, proving you can learn to sleep through *anything*! <grins&gt. In fact, I have 2 sets of coil points that came from a place that sold "applilance parts" - they were tarnished and one was rusty (I think it was plated steel), but the contacts were *new*.

If you look around, you *might* find someone who would sell you a coil, tho I plan on keeping mine in my car where they belong.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Lighten up, We have the James Dean festival here in Sept. and they have flame throwing contests. Wolf !!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

You don't need a T coil just get a pizio ignighter they use to start gas grills and torches and leave those working coils for us to use in our cars!!!!!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Hey, how was I to know? Y'know, a little explanation goes a *long* ways, and then no one gets their toes stepped on!! Thanks! :~)

I can see where a vibrator coil would work good for this application - it would provide (as long as the air gap was sufficient and the points held out) a constant source of ignition as long as it was "live". In a flamethrower, (esp. for competition) that could make or break someone. Same principle as the old furnace - it gives a continuous spark until it ignites, and if the flame dies, will start the continuous spark until it re-fires.

You know, were it me, I would probably get friendly with some eccentric model T nut, cue them in, and borrow a coil for the competition (and enlist their help in the process). Or start earlier, hit up some swap meets, and find a few coils for cheap and keep working at them until you found one that had enough oomph to fire the spark gap. Or get hold of any one of the Model T catalogue outfits (or Ron the Coilman even), and buy one from them.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

I have extra coils , but after I know what you would use them for I can not sell them to you. I do not need a liability suit!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

GOT ONE