Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Stubborn Model T

Anyone have any sure-fire tricks to getting a Model T to start. Mine hits on a few and nothing. It hasn't started in over 40+ years, so it is tight and cranky. Any and all hints will be tried. Thanks1

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Stubborn Model T

James, try fooling with different setings on the carburater, and see if it won't fire better. You can always adjust it better when you get it started. Have you checked the timing to be sure it's on?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

First things first , Have you checked the coils, spark plugs and timer and the wires.

Also dump out the gas tank and flush it clean and the sediment bowl, and carb.

after all that has been check close the carb then back off the needle 1½ turns, that's a good starting point. OK What year is this T engine you didn't say.

Ok turn the key to Battery if you have one 6 volts, if no battery to Mag, If it's an early T set timer lever to the top and the gas about 3/4 in down from the top, Go out front Pull the choke and crank it, if on mag push the handle in at 6 o'clock and pull up if on battery anywhere will do I like 9 o'clock, if you have never cranked a T don't and I mean Don't wrape your thumb around the crank, If you do and it kicks back you'll Know why I said that.

Ok it should fire if it just putts then choke it again, and try it again. If this still does not start check the timmer push it down just a tad not much then try again, if your timmer is not set up properly you'll have to play with it to get it to start.

Once it fires and keeps running then play with the gas adjustment till it runs smoothly.

Have you ever driven a T??

If not you should read the drivers instructions and have some one teach you where are you located?? If In eastern Pa give me a call

570-448-9056 if I'm not close by I can find someone to help you.

Good Luck

<ul>[*]Golding's T Parts[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

James, I tried to post once and the message disapeared,will try once more. Have you set the timing so it's dead on? Try adjusting the carb at different settings to see if she'll fire better,you can always go reset it later.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

James,How is that little girl? I was at your house with that 1918 cut off t a while back.

Make sure you have the firing order correct.

1-2-4-3. When I got my '14 ready to start, I cranked on that thing for a 1/2 day and it acted like it wanted to start, but it wouldn't. I tied it to the back of my PU and pulled it all over town and it would start and by the time I got my wife stopped so I could tinker with it, it would die. I got the book back out the next day and reread the wiring diagram and traced all the wires and found the firing order was wrong. I changed number 3 and 4 and it started on the first crank. Keep us informed. Wolf !!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Default Thanks to all!

My T is a late 1922 with an electric start (thank goodness) and I do have experience with a T, but not extensive. Everyone mentioned checking the timing and I did the wiring myself (1,2,4,3)but what is a &quot;check&quot; to see if timing is dead on? How does one do this? Wolf, Lori is doing well, she is nearly 2 now and very curious. Thanks for asking. Take Care!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

Default Re: Thanks to all!

Michael, if you have a timing gauge,they are available from the suppliers, place it over the Gen. bolt and with the spark rod fully in UP position,the small hole in gauge should line up. be sure to remove all the play in this system if you want it to start good.