Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Oil leak only when moving ?

I have a 23 Roadster which I have only had for 2 weeks.( my first T ) I did an oil change last week and followed the manual T instructions. Filled it with 30 weight oil 4 x 2 litre bottles. I don't get any real visible leaks when the engine is running while the car is stationary but once I get moving the car leaves a tell tale trail of oil spots, it looks like it may be coming from the front end around the fan. Does this indicate I have over filled the car with oil and the car is just pumping off the excess, or is it likely I a gasket problem.

Thanks

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Oil leak only when moving ?

8 liters of oil?!?!? No wonder it leaks!!!

A T takes a shade under 4. (Think 1 US Gallon). Any more and it'll try to expel the excess, and leave a pretty good mess in the process (sounds like what's happening)!

You check the level with the 2 petcocks on the right rear of the engine (behind the flywheel). Oil should run out of the bottom one, and barely form a drip from the top one, when open. If you open the bottom one, and get no oil, (and you're sure the petcock isn't clogged) you're too low on oil. If it runs out of the top one, it's too high.

Most T's will drip a little, but if you're leaving a trail, then it's too much!!!

Good Luck...

Sus

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Just checked the containers and I had put in 192 oz of oil total ( each was the standard 1.49 litres plastic bottles.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

I will check the pea-cocks in the morning, hopefully it is just my math as have only been used to the imperial gallon and the metric system. Hey Clorex works great at cleaning the oil spots after the oil has been dobed with detergent. ( I've had lots of practise )

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

I think that equals about 6 qts..or 50% more than recommended.