Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default clogged oil line

I have a 1914 touring that the prior owner stated that the inside oil tube was clogged with cotton fiber from the bands. Is there an easy fix, such as running an outside line or a way to unclog the inner without tearing the engine apart? Other than that, the car is ready to run.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: clogged oil line

I think an outside oil line is essential even if you believe the inside line is OK. Without a constant flow of oil, the front bearings will heat up quickly and give you trouble. The outside line can be quickly cleaned anytime you want, while the inside is bolted on the engine in such a way that getting it out requires disassembly. Some people have taken off the transmission top and figured out how to blow air through the line, and others have done the same from the front of the engine. However, it will clog again. Best to go to any of the parts suppliers and order the outside line kit, which is cleap insurance and easy to install.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Hi Dave,

It's not a "hard" fix, but it is involved (think day long project kind of thing). There's a description of it either in the "green" book or in the service manual. It involves taking off the radiator and the timing cover (if I remember right) and running a wire through the line, catching the detrius that comes out of the funnel. It can be done in-car, but it's one of those things you should read through twice before doing. And yes, you *must* clean this out, outside line or not - you want just as much oil on the front as you can muster (It'll find it's way back anyway!)because otherwise the front bearing *will* cook. (That's why Ford put the line there in the first place!)

I have both a "Ford Faithful" external line system on mine, along with the later "big funnel" internal line. The "FF" has a huge scoop and screen filter built into the trans cover, which collects and throws a lot of oil forward... the downside is when you adjust the bands, you get a pint or so of nasty, dirty oil all over from what's in the cover!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

While your at this cleanning stage go to the vendors like Lang's or Snyders and get an oil filter that fits inside of the transmission door , easy to check and keep clean this will help alot in keeping the lint out of the oil tube. ANd you can see the other stuff that accumulates in the screen also , bits of paint, or brass or hate to say it chunks of babit. etc. better in the screen than in the magneto.

<ul>[*]Golding's T Parts[/list]