Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
1928Pickuppain

Default Diff gearing

i think my truck has 410 gearing in it becoyse i realy have to push it to get to 50 and that motor has to spin at an unhealty rate to do so but even though i beleve this when i shift from second to third she tends to lug a little bit at first i am kind of thinking this is becouse my cluch is worn. if i put in different gearing and replace my cluch will this get me more speed and fix the lugging problem dose the clutch not matter and will by putting higher gearing in it will it make the lugging prob worse. also i know my origonal unrestored trany is past deaths door and is only holding on beciuse of spit and hopes dreams and some mechanica madgic so i am going to be bulding a new one in the next few weeks.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Diff gearing

I doubt the clutch has anything to do with the 'lug' from 2-3.. I think that has to do with the wide 'gearing gap' in the transmitter..
To check rear gearing Most of the fellas seem to like to mark the crank and a rear tire.. Then push the car one turn of the wheel while carefully counting the number crankshaft revolutions..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Aerocraft

I believe you would be much happier with a 3:78. If it was my truck, I would use a 3.54. I have installed 3.54 in my Coupe and Roadster and it works very well for me. I generally shift to third at roughly 25. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
columbiA

A lot of PU,s had 4.11 gears because of the loads that were generaly carried.Unless you live in the mountains,I would install 3.54 gears.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote