Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
firefirefire90

Default Hello all, new to the forum!

hello everyone, my name is Nick and I am 20 years old. I am pretty sure I have a model A. I am not 100% sure on everything, but although my age says my technical knowledge is low, my mechanical knowledge is quite high. I have been working on my own cars/motorcycles since I was 14 so my knowledge is up there. Well, here are some pictures of my new ride!

firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Chris in WNC

Default Re: Hello all, new to the forum!

WOW! what a nice Coupe!

find your local Model A club, get thick skinned and learn to ignore the grumps, naysayers and nitpickers therein. look fo a mentor in the club who will help you along the way.

in SF area you should get together with Marco Tahtaras & his circle. they will be good people to know.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Glad to see some youth are getting involved again in the hobbie. You are about the same age as my oldest duaghter. I bought my first A when I was 13. Never will regret it. Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM004689.jpg (75.0 KB, 119 views)
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Jim Parker Toronto

Yes it is an "A". Nice car with some "special" parts! Don't sell or trade anything until you find its value! Good Luck, Jim
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Vanspeed

Yes that is an A, I agree with Jim, don't sell anything off of it. If you want to make it more yours, keep what you take off and store it away. It is only original once. Nice accessory gauge panel!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
firefirefire90

I dont understand what is so special? Could any of you point in my direction what is not standard on this? If I cannot put a lot of money or effort into this build(i'm still in college), I will either let it sit in my garage or sell it to an enthusiast. I'm going to dive into it tomorrow and see what I find. I'd like to clean out the carb, put some oil in the pistons, and see if she'll fire up!

knowing how projects are, I doubt it will be that easy haha!
Old 05-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

"If I cannot put a lot of money or effort into this build(i'm still in college), I will either let it sit in my garage or sell it to an enthusiast. "

First of all, what do you want to do with it? I'll narrow it down to three broad areas.

1) Restoration - to bring back to original look, parts etc.
2) Mild Modification - To bring back to almost original look, some or all of the following; add non original accessories, change to juice brakes, different engine configurations such as ignition, voltage etc.
3) Rod - change out the engine for non stock like a v8 or pinto engine, remove body parts, chop & channel etc.

Like I said there are BROAD interpitations.

Tell us what you want to do and we will guide you to get the car you want.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
firefirefire90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
"If I cannot put a lot of money or effort into this build(i'm still in college), I will either let it sit in my garage or sell it to an enthusiast. "

First of all, what do you want to do with it? I'll narrow it down to three broad areas.

1) Restoration - to bring back to original look, parts etc.
2) Mild Modification - To bring back to almost original look, some or all of the following; add non original accessories, change to juice brakes, different engine configurations such as ignition, voltage etc.
3) Rod - change out the engine for non stock like a v8 or pinto engine, remove body parts, chop & channel etc.

Like I said there are BROAD interpitations.

Tell us what you want to do and we will guide you to get the car you want.
My dad and I have been restoring MGB's for quite some time so a full restoration has been thrown around, but I'm not too interested in modifying or making it a rat rod. Although I like that style, it is not the direction I like to take my vehicles. I would like to keep this car as original as possible, and just sort of make it "nice." A respray is out of the question, but getting the thing running/drivable is a possibility for the time being. The engine seems simple enough to tinker on while I have spare time and getting the car running although not simple, doesn't seem unachievable.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Rowdy
BANNED

It looks to be in good condition, possibly a 1960's restoration of sorts based on what I can see (likely just the paint is that new). Curios as to how many miles the Odometer has on it. Let us know what you need for basic parts and guidance to help you get it on the road safely. I difinately would not change mush as far as appearance. although floorboards would be nice. There is a site on the net that has plans for cutting new floorboards. I can not remembber the sites address, but I am sure someone has it saved. Rod
Old 05-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
firefirefire90

the car has 31k or 51k on the clock, i'll be back out there working on it in a minute, but I'll for sure let you all know what I need! I have no idea what I don't need or what is there yet; are there any sites for online PDF files for a manual?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Model A Man

If it were mine I would get it running and make sure the brakes are in xlnt working order and drive the heck out of it. Don't worry to much about the way the paint or body look, as we love them in every condition, heck take it to a car show and park next to a high dollar street rod and see which cars gets the most looks and comments. I am betting it will be your car that will be the hit of the show.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
Ross/Kzoo

Another option would be to clean it up thoroughly, drive it, then determine what you want to do.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

Here is a link to help you get started. Also check out the links page on the site and a whole new world of info is out there. This site has instuctions on operation including starting and Marco's A barnyard has info on timing and some other good tech info. Rod

http://www.jmodela.com/
Old 05-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
WTSHNN

I started restoring my truck when I was 20 and still in college. I started with two body panels and with a LOT of help, had a restored truck in a year and a week. I'm 28 now and have put 6,000 miles on it.

Make friends with Model A'ers that can help you find parts and answer your questions.

Ignore the people who talk down to you because you're a kid.

It looks like you have a great start to a Model A there. Get it running, make sure it is safe to drive and DRIVE IT.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

firefirefire90, feel better now? We are here to help!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Neat car!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
Hitchhiker

that thing is so cool! Personally I would get it running and drive the wheels off of it! It looks too nice to mess with, but not nice enough not worry about driving it to the store for groceries.
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
firefirefire90

Thank you all for the kind words and not acting how I expected. On all of the BMW forums I regularly visit, the new members are rarely welcomed with open arms. What my friend and I have done is completely disassemble the carb, patrol lines, oil, and checked everything over. We have run into a snag, the keys we have to unlock the car/rumble seat, do not turn in the ignition switch. Is there anyway around this, or is a lock smith necessary?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
Thank you all for the kind words and not acting how I expected. On all of the BMW forums I regularly visit, the new members are rarely welcomed with open arms. What my friend and I have done is completely disassemble the carb, patrol lines, oil, and checked everything over. We have run into a snag, the keys we have to unlock the car/rumble seat, do not turn in the ignition switch. Is there anyway around this, or is a lock smith necessary?
hot wire that baby!
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #20
firefirefire90

haha we decided that was our option, and that's what we're doing!!!