Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Jerry in Shasta

Smile For tall guys

I'm 6'4" with long legs. It has always been a problem for me to lift my leg and get to the brake pedal. I had to force my leg between the steering wheel and the gear shift lever.

Then the light went on why not shorten the shift lever.

I cut 1" off the lever and retreaded it and replaced the ball on top.
What a difference! It made it much easier and safer to drive.

Nobody has noticed the modification. When they drive it they notice something has changed, but not sure what.

Would I do it again? Yep, my S/W is next.
Jerry in Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
whirnot

Default Re: For tall guys

I just heated the shifter about 3 inches from the floor and bent it to the right, so there is room for my leg to pass. You don't even notice the bend.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I just heated the shifter about 3 inches from the floor and bent it to the right, so there is room for my leg to pass. You don't even notice the bend.
What is the approx angle that you bent it?
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
JackA

Same height, same problem, especially in the CCPU.
JackA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
glenn in camino

I had the same problem about 10 years ago due to a nerve problem called drop foot. I bent my shifter so I could reach the brake peddle. Then I asked my doctor about it and he asked me if I'd lost weight lately. I told him that I'd recently lost 40 lbs. He said that I probably was sitting on a nerve. On the way home, I stopped at a market and bought some ice cream. In a few weeks I gained some weight and drop foot went away. You can be too thin.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
What is the approx angle that you bent it?
Pretty hard to measure the angle. It Looks like it bends about 1 1/2" in the first 10 inches. In first gear it appears to point directly to the rear of the car so looks normal. Measuring from the shifter knob to the Steering wheel, in first gear, it is about 4 inches.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
Tiny

Jerry
That is the only tight spot in my coupe believe it or not at 6'1". In 1st my knee is against the shifter. I have thought about bending it a bit to the right and then straitening it up back straight. We may have to meet in person though so I can check that out. I'm just east of you in Redding.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

In his '29 coupe, a friend had to shift into neutral, before he could move his foot from the throttle to the brake!!!!!!!
Even after re-doing my seats, I still have to heat & bend the shitter to the right. Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small5.jpg (76.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg small6.jpg (70.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg small7.jpg (69.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I had the same problem about 10 years ago due to a nerve problem called drop foot. I bent my shifter so I could reach the brake peddle. Then I asked my doctor about it and he asked me if I'd lost weight lately. I told him that I'd recently lost 40 lbs. He said that I probably was sitting on a nerve. On the way home, I stopped at a market and bought some ice cream. In a few weeks I gained some weight and drop foot went away. You can be too thin.
Similar problems: I too have the nerve related drop foot, but my doc says I need to lose weight! LOL. By today's BMI standards, I do fall in the "overweight" category, but personally I think they're exaggerated. I am 6'2" 225, and yes I could shed a few - 20-25 or so seems be about right. But the standards says "normal" for me should be 150-180! 6'2" and 150lbs? or even 180? Seriously??

But regarding the interference, I don't understand the interference between shifter and steering column. My problem was with the seat! My heel would hit the base of the seat and I could not lift my foot high enough to get on top of the pedal. (Due to the drop foot and size 12s). Solved that by (temporarily) adjusting the height of the pedal. Not sure why, perhaps the pedal assembly was not installed quite right(?); but there seemed to be way too much pedal travel distance before engaging both the clutch and the brake.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Jerry in Shasta

TINY sent you a personal Message. basically you name it I can be there.
Jerry in Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Bruce of MN

I can't find if I saved the URL but I think I remember something here on FordBarn about spinning the gear lever 180 deg to make room. I'm 6'-1", but am adapting to my coupe.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Roadster Rich

I feel for you tall guys. For me, it is getting worse in my '30 Roadster, but that is because I am now about 40 lbs heavier than I was back in my 30's! I guess the reason I feel so bad for you, is that at least there is a possible way for me to fit better....... But damn, losing that 40 is awful hard to do at this age.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
MrWzrd
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
I can't find if I saved the URL but I think I remember something here on FordBarn about spinning the gear lever 180 deg to make room. I'm 6'-1", but am adapting to my coupe.
What you might be thinking of is the ability to rotate the entire lever counterclockwise about 180 degrees. It makes getting in and out of the right side (curb side) of the car easier for the driver.

While rotated you can not shift as it the lever is disengaged and I have not done this while in motion as I have not looked into what is actually disconnecting. (I suspect it will be fine but I want to make sure. No need making more work for myself. ;-) )

And...if you are not familiar with it......It's a "lift and rotate". Lift the gearshift lever straight up and rotate it, to the right, out of the way. (I find pushing up on my hand with my knee helps lift.)

When you rotate the lever back around clockwise it drops right back down and engages.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
JackA

Bill or DAWG,

Where did you get those seats, or did you fabricate them?
JackA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackA View Post
Bill or DAWG,

Where did you get those seats, or did you fabricate them?
Yo, Jack, I'm GOOD, but I didn't make them! They're replacement bar stool seats. I got the swivels from Bass-Pro Shop & they fit the built in nuts in the seats PERFECTLY. The bottom platform & seats hinge up with a piano hinge to access the tool compartment. We used a bicycle kick stand to hold it open!
Do a Barn search Where I described how we built the whole mess. Bill W.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Brother Hesekiel

I am 6'6" and I have no problem fitting in my Roadster and operating it properly. I have, however, added more space by removing some metal and moving the seat back back. Back back. Oh, well.

I have no problem with the shifter, never even noticed it to be in the way. But in regard to the angle of your leg and lifting the leg(s) to operate the pedals let me tell you that I lifted the back of my lower seat cushon by mounting a 3/4-inch wooden molding below in the back.

Imagine you sit on the floor of your car, without a seat. In order to operate the pedals, you would have to lift your legs and feet quite a bit, and it would be at a very uncomfortable angle, kind of a workout you'd do in the gym. The ideal angle to operate the pedals would be a rather narrow one, so less than 90 degrees of knee bend, but in order to achieve such an angle, you'd have to put a couple or three thick books on your seat, which would have other disadvantages, obviously. I have found that lifting the rear of the seat bottom a bit helped me a lot. Your experience may vary.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote