Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #21
1931 flamingo

Default Re: caster tools

Bad tires, yes, even if "new". JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #22
reggiedog

Ya we all thought of that so once the car is back together and up right again we were going to do that without the body on the frame and then with the body on the frame but as of right now none of us can find any movement on just the front end itself at all.

So as of now we have NO clue as to what it is and that's why we thought that it had to do with the casters or the toe-in and that's why I bought the Duby toe-in Alignment Tool and then that's why I put the ad or question on here for the original caster tools to fix it as that is what I was told to get the Original tools but I don't even know if that will fix it.

Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #23
40 Deluxe

Did the person who told you to "get the Original tools" describe what they look like, or how they work? It's obvious that the "Duby toe-in Alignment Tool" has nothing whatsoever to do with setting caster! Have you measured caster angle yet? A simple magnetic protractor/angle finder will do the trick.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #24
reggiedog

All I know is to get what he told me to get as he's doing the rest I'm not
Old 01-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #25
J Franklin

Caster is originally built into the geometry of the hard parts and not adjustable except to straighten bent or sagging parts. Camber also. is this the tool you need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tool.jpg (8.0 KB, 12 views)
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #26
reggiedog

Question Re: caster tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Caster is originally built into the geometry of the hard parts and not adjustable except to straighten bent or sagging parts. Camber also. is this the tool you need?
I have NO clue as I never have seen one all I was told to do is to get the Original I think he said the Duby Caster Tools what that might be don't know as he only comes around here when I have stuff for him to do.

And he's a older person that doesn't have a computer so I can't send it to him as there's already been people on here that have already asked me if this is what I was looking for but I don't know as I'm not the one that will be using the tools maybe after I find one maybe he will buy it from me as his son is a Mechanic also.

And the last picture that I got of it had like two pads and some sort of a dial on it and I think you drive up onto it is what my guy is talking about but I haven't got a clue.

But I have a funny question on this and I don't know as of yet and maybe my guy is totally wrong and you guys are totally correct on this as I have been going through all of the posts on here and the P.M.s that have been sent to me.

And I'm just thinking here now as he hasn't been around here and hasn't seen any of the post on here I'm thinking that he might be right in a way but I also think that you guy's are correct in more ways then he is also if that makes any since to you guy's.

What I'm trying to say here is this my guy I think back in his days of working on the Model A's and new cars at the time as that's what he used to do as he is about 95 years old now so that would put him being born in or around 1922.

.Does anyone know what that might be what he is calling the Caster Tools in his time that he would of been around in the Garage that the Garage would of had as normal tools back then that they called Caster Tools if they did have something like that I have No Clue as to what that might of been does anyone know what that would of been back then.

That took me about 10+ years to find one a Original one that is of those and now that I have one for myself to use and as I have already used it a few to many times just to figure out how to use it correctly and I did and it works perfectly fine for me.

But as of right now I don't even know if I need the Caster Tools after reading all of these posts on here.

I'm going to call my guy sometime today and find out exactly what he is looking for in the tools if it is the old school type Caster Tools or what maybe he can describe it to me as to what he wants as I have seen a lot of different types of Caster Tools sent to me on here and P.Med to me on here so as of right now I have no clue as to what my guy is even talking about for now that is.

And I think I'm really not sure if he even knows what he wants as he could be calling a Caster Tool something totally different then what I have been looking at on here but what would be called a Caster Tool back in his days of working In a Garage in the early Late 30's maybe even earlier then that through the 40's and on up ????.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 PM   #27
cw253748

Hi Mitch. I too have aligned my model A with a modern alignment machine. My machine only does toe in degrees. I set my toe in to .06 degrees. Does your do inches or what did you set your toe in to?
cw253748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiedog View Post
.Does anyone know what that might be what he is calling the Caster Tools in his time that he would of been around in the Garage that the Garage would of had as normal tools back then that they called Caster Tools

The only "tool" of the day I can think of would have been an inclinometer to measure tilt of the axle (5 degrees).

From the Dykes manual,

Camber of front wheels should be approximately 1 11/16”. The camber is not adjustable, as it is provided for in the forging of the spindle. The only possibility of the camber being changed would be due to a bent axle or spindle or badly worn spindle body bushing.

Caster effect is given to the steering knucklet at the factory which is 5 degrees.

If front Axle is bent it should be straightened cold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel alignment.jpg (74.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 01-30-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #29
reggiedog

Exclamation Re: caster tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
The only "tool" of the day I can think of would have been an inclinometer to measure tilt of the axle (5 degrees).

From the Dykes manual,

Camber of front wheels should be approximately 1 11/16”. The camber is not adjustable, as it is provided for in the forging of the spindle. The only possibility of the camber being changed would be due to a bent axle or spindle or badly worn spindle body bushing.

Caster effect is given to the steering knucklet at the factory which is 5 degrees.

If front Axle is bent it should be straightened cold.
Mike,
I have never heard of one of those or even the ( DYKES MANUAL ) So where and how do you get something like that if that's what I need to have so is this just a book or what is this it sounds like it's NOT a tool at all.

So what kind of tool would I need to use to fix the front axle if my axle turns out to be bent.

Would this Dykes Manual tell me what tool or tools to use to straighten the axle.

Or do I have to take it somewhere to have the axle straightened for me like straight line where they have the tools to straighten axles and frames
or would Bert's be able to send me a straight new axle from out there or would they be able to fix the axle that I already have.

Or isn't my axle that I have worth fixing if it's just bent and off by just a little bit like a centimeter or so just enough to make the whole front end of the car shimmy to where you can't go over 25 or 30 mph without it shimming so bad that you all most lose control of the car.

As at first I thought it was the rims on the tires but I went and changed them all around and it still shimmies that's why I think or thought it was the front axle doing it and still do think that.

And that's where the Buying of the Original Duby Toe In Alignment Tool came into this and that took me years to find a Original one of those and know he says he wants or needs the Original type of Caster Tools but on here I've been getting allot of people that are saying that the Casters are NOT something that you can fix.

So here I get allot of pictures of some really old school Caster Tools and then I get pics of some really nice new Caster tools and looking at them I don't even think that my guy knows even knows what the hell he's talking about when he says he needs the Original Caster Tools.

As from what I've been told and have seen on this post there really isn't anything that would of been Original Caster Tools back in the day when he worked in a Garage a Ford or any of the Garages wouldn't of had anything like what he is describing to me and wanting me to find him.

Now as I found the Original Duby Toe In Alignment Tool that I will keep as I myself would use that tool and that he said that is the tool that I will need and I agree with him on that one.

But the Caster thing I'm even starting to wander on that one myself as to what he is even talking about on that one and now Mike sends me a thing that I think is the Dykes Manual.

Where and how I would ever get that book or Manual or even to buy that one would be beyond me as I have never heard of that Manual before today.

When Mike Put a post on here saying that is what I would need to have or that is what the Garages would of had back in the days when my guy would of worked in them so now I'm going to look around and see what I can find on the Dykes Manual and as to what that would cost to buy or to rent the book.

Maybe there not that expensive to where I can buy the book or Manual and then my guy would be happy with just that instead of all of me looking around for something that's just not out there to be found and never was out there in the first place as read all of these post as they all say the same thing to me the Casters are NOT adjustable.

I do believe there adjustable like when the car was being made other then that NO not much of a adjustment to it I do know you can buy cupped washer to put on the end of the wishbone and that might adjust the Caster a little bit but other then that one no there is just no adjustment to the caster as I have been told countless times on here.

How my guy thinks he can adjust the casters is beyond me as I'm going to STOP looking for those Original TOOLS as there just isn't any Original Caster Tools out there for the Casters to be found on that end of it anyway that I can find anyway.

And I'm going to start to and hopefully find that Dykes Manual and the inclinometer that Mike is talking about on here so if anyone knows or has one of those tools or the Manual(S) that you want to sell Please let me know and the price and a picture of both of them and a description of what shape it is in and as to what you would want for both of them as I might be wanting to buy that stuff instead of these Original Caster Tools.

Thanks let me know
Reggiedog
Old 01-31-2017, 12:06 AM   #30
Mike V. Florida

.... Don't seem to be able to delete messages.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 01-31-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:09 AM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Mike,
I have never heard of one of those or even the ( DYKES MANUAL ) So where and how do you get something like that if that's what I need to have so is this just a book or what is this it sounds like it's NOT a tool at all.

So what kind of tool would I need to use to fix the front axle if my axle turns out to be bent.

See the attached file on http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=19

Would this Dykes Manual tell me what tool or tools to use to straighten the axle.

No, See the attached file on http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=19

Or do I have to take it somewhere to have the axle straightened for me like straight line where they have the tools to straighten axles and frames
or would Bert's be able to send me a straight new axle from out there or would they be able to fix the axle that I already have.

Depends on your tools at home. or take it to a truck repair shop that does straight axles.

Or isn't my axle that I have worth fixing if it's just bent and off by just a little bit like a centimeter or so just enough to make the whole front end of the car shimmy to where you can't go over 25 or 30 mph without it shimming so bad that you all most lose control of the car.

I still think it's the parts in the front end not restored properly.

As at first I thought it was the rims on the tires but I went and changed them all around and it still shimmies that's why I think or thought it was the front axle doing it and still do think that.

And that's where the Buying of the Original Duby Toe In Alignment Tool came into this and that took me years to find a Original one of those and know he says he wants or needs the Original type of Caster Tools but on here I've been getting allot of people that are saying that the Casters are NOT something that you can fix.

So here I get allot of pictures of some really old school Caster Tools and then I get pics of some really nice new Caster tools and looking at them I don't even think that my guy knows even knows what the hell he's talking about when he says he needs the Original Caster Tools.

As from what I've been told and have seen on this post there really isn't anything that would of been Original Caster Tools back in the day (Correct)when he worked in a Garage a Ford or any of the Garages wouldn't of had anything like what he is describing to me and wanting me to find him.

Now as I found the Original Duby Toe In Alignment Tool that I will keep as I myself would use that tool and that he said that is the tool that I will need and I agree with him on that one.

But the Caster thing I'm even starting to wander on that one myself as to what he is even talking about on that one and now Mike sends me a thing that I think is the Dykes Manual.

That is what I said, Dykes manual.

Where and how I would ever get that book or Manual or even to buy that one would be beyond me as I have never heard of that Manual before today.

When Mike Put a post on here saying that is what I would need to have or that is what the Garages would of had back in the days when my guy would of worked in them so now I'm going to look around and see what I can find on the Dykes Manual and as to what that would cost to buy or to rent the book.

Maybe there not that expensive to where I can buy the book or Manual and then my guy would be happy with just that instead of all of me looking around for something that's just not out there to be found and never was out there in the first place as read all of these post as they all say the same thing to me the Casters are NOT adjustable.

Not easily correctable as in an adjustment screw.

I do believe there adjustable like when the car was being made other then that NO not much of a adjustment to it I do know you can buy cupped washer to put on the end of the wishbone and that might adjust the Caster a little bit but other then that one no there is just no adjustment to the caster as I have been told countless times on here.

How my guy thinks he can adjust the casters is beyond me as I'm going to STOP looking for those Original TOOLS as there just isn't any Original Caster Tools out there for the Casters to be found on that end of it anyway that I can find anyway. Old age?

And I'm going to start to and hopefully find that Dykes Manual and the inclinometer that Mike is talking about on here so if anyone knows or has one of those tools or the Manual(S) that you want to sell Please let me know and the price and a picture of both of them and a description of what shape it is in and as to what you would want for both of them as I might be wanting to buy that stuff instead of these Original Caster Tools.

Thanks let me know
Reggiedog
Electronic copy, http://www.ebay.com/itm/112285806034

Paper copy;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182425343324
Old 01-31-2017, 02:14 AM   #32
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Mike,

As from what I've been told and have seen on this post there really isn't anything that would of been Original Caster Tools back in the day when he worked in a Garage a Ford or any of the Garages wouldn't of had anything like what he is describing to me and wanting me to find him.

How my guy thinks he can adjust the casters is beyond me as I'm going to STOP looking for those Original TOOLS as there just isn't any Original Caster Tools out there for the Casters to be found on that end of it anyway that I can find anyway.

Thanks let me know
Reggiedog
Let's back up the bus a bit, put it in neutral and shut off the engine. I notice you keep referring to "the casters" as if "casters" are some kind of front end part. NOT so! "Caster" (singular, never plural) is a setting, a number (expressed in degrees). Simply place the angle finder (shown in a previous post, and quite inexpensive) on the front face of the axle next to the kingpin and read the dial. There is your caster setting. It should be in the neighborhood of 5-7 degrees as mentioned in this thread. The needle should be to the left of zero on the left (driver's) side of the car and to the right of zero on the right side of the car looking from the outside of the car. This would be positive caster, which is what you want. (You do need to make sure that the edge of the angle finder is parallel to the kingpin.)
Or just take the car to any competent front end shop that has adapters to fit your wheels and they can tell you exactly what the caster, camber and toe-in settings are. Why are we making this so complicated? No need to reinvent the wheel here!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:29 AM   #33
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
I realize from you latest post the the front end has been completely rebuilt. That said I suspect that it is possible that something may still be loose. Perhaps a tie rod end was not tightened quite enough or one of the backing plates is slightly loose. Just to be sure have one of your fellow mechanics sit in the car and move the steering wheel back and forth just enough to bump the wheels into almost turning. Have them do this repeatedly while you are inspecting all parts of the steering system looking for any looseness. Do this while the wheels are on the ground.
Getting all looseness out and proper toe in usually goes a long way in getting rid of front end shimmy and wobble.
I don't know what more we can do? The thread has given him websites with descriptions and pictures of camber, caster, and toe in. We have given him documentation "of the day" how these are not "adjustable" as we refer to it today using a wrench and a screw driver. A link to how someone has actually adjusted the axle using presses. Mentioned already is the movement of the radius ball and how it changes caster. Given are the specifications for the front end. No information given here has been contradictory.

I'm out.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:05 AM   #34
reggiedog

Mike and all that have replied to this post Thank you very much as I think and hope I or we can figure it out from here as it might be just the dam tie rod is to lose or something dumb like that and not even what I was anticipating it to be but once it get's back on the road I will let you guy's know how it went on it's first ride.

Reggiedog
Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #35
1crosscut

Reggiedog I do think that you are over thinking this. As you say it may just be something very simple like a loose tie rod. Re read my post #20 and give it a go. I bet you will find some looseness somewhere and or the toe in is way out of spec. You are worrying far too much about caster.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:50 PM   #36
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
You were given wrong and bogus info... we align A's all the time on our state of the art hunter machine. Any spec can be downloaded or manually put into the data base, then saved as a custom vehicle ie labeled Model A.

Those that set toe with the duby gauge or a shower rod, ill bet your toe is off when done. Of course it's what most have available so i understand that. Just stating a fact, computerized alignments are very sensitive and accurate. Its like comparing apples to oranges.
Once the heads are put on the wheels the car gets rolled fwd approx 6" onto the turn plates. This compensates the sensors to the machine. It tells the machine the wheel runout, and sensor location on the rim.. it doesnt matter if the sensors are mounted off center on the wheel.

As soon as mine is running good enough for a longer trip I'm going to have a buddy align mine on his brand new Hunter rack as well.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:55 PM   #37
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_One View Post
As soon as mine is running good enough for a longer trip I'm going to have a buddy align mine on his brand new Hunter rack as well.
I bet u know plenty of techs with a hunter rack or even a john bean
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote