Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2021, 05:19 PM   #1
frnkeore

Default '54 FE conversion

Hi all, I just bought a fairly nice, all original '54 Mainline Tudor, with a 223 engine. I've always like the '54 but, never owned one. My folks had a Ranchwagon, when I was 13 and that's why I've always been attracted to them.

My plan is to install a '58 Edsel FE, in it.

I know it will bolt to the motor mounts and the fuel line is on the wrong side but, that's about all, I know.

I have a C6 that goes behind it and wonder how much has to be done for the rear mount location.

My other question, at this time is, will other years of the FE, such as the 58/59 or 60/64 headers fit this chassis or will custom headers be the only way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '54 pic.JPG (37.8 KB, 62 views)
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: '54 FE conversion

Nice car ! About all I know is my neighbor put a 1960 352 FE with the auto trans in a '55 Ford Crown Victoria without any real problems. Should be the same basic frame and firewall as the '54 Ford. I'm sorry I don't know any details as far as trans mount and drive shaft. He didn't use tube headers. Just the stock 352 manifolds.

Sal

Last edited by scicala; 01-25-2021 at 06:36 PM.
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
frnkeore

Sal, thanks for the input. I agree things should be close to the same to '57 maybe, even '59.

I wouldn't know much about what I need, until I set the engine in but, that won't happen until about early summer, when the engine is finish so, I'm trying to get a head start on things, until then.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 01-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
54vicky

you may want to consider joining the 52-59 group on the main board.lot of conversions on it
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
frnkeore

Thank you, I had joined that group, back in Nov, anticipating getting a '54 and posting about rear spring spacing, to put a '57 9" rear in one.

I just posted a new thread about my car, over there.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 01-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
56sedandelivery

52-59 ? Where is that at?
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery View Post
52-59 ? Where is that at?
The H.A.M.B. 1952-59 Ford Social Group
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #8
frnkeore

For ease of access:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ial-group.282/

I had trouble finding it when I first looked. I wasn't familiar with all the types of forums that HAMB has.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 01-27-2021, 01:33 AM   #9
JimNNN

Quote:
Hi all, I just bought a fairly nice, all original '54 Mainline Tudor,

I don't know if "fairly nice" means it's just structurally solid or if it means it's a complete functioning car (or would be with a reasonable amount of sorting.) Hard to tell from the pic which it is.

If it's the latter, I'd personally keep the original drive train to keep the car "all original". If the six is seriously non-functioning or real worn out, however, the FE sounds like an interesting swap. I've been told that the 239 Y-block in my '54 would be hard to get the the correct parts or expertise to rebuild, so I may be in the same boat some day.

One question though: Would the original rear end in a '54 Ford be strong enough to handle a 200-300 HP FE or equivalent engine in the long run?
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:23 AM   #10
frnkeore

Jim, "Fairly Nice" is a very subjective term and the definition is in the "eye of the be beer holder"

My definition is:
Body in a mostly, non dented condition, paint in any condition
Nothing or very few things missing, such as trim and interior
No broken or missing glass
Drivable with a little work

This car meets all the criteria. Regarding the rear end, if you will read my post #5, you will see my feelings regarding that and I have a '57 housing in hand BUT, I will try this rear first. It's a 3.9/1 so, it won't stay, just because of mileage factor and the 9" will go in with a 2.74 gear. I also have that.

The original 361 engine gets a Eagle 428 crank and .040 (410) over pistons (419 ci), aluminum HP 390/406 manifold and a 226 @ .050 cam so, I figure the HP to be between 385 and 420 when bolted in. I have all but the cam, in hand.

Originality, isn't a consideration, other than most of the interior and body. I'm building it as a hot, 3300 lb street rod.

I will drive it with the 6, until my engine is ready and the engine and 3 speed, will be for sale, this summer.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 01-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #11
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNNN View Post

I don't know if "fairly nice" means it's just structurally solid or if it means it's a complete functioning car (or would be with a reasonable amount of sorting.) Hard to tell from the pic which it is.

If it's the latter, I'd personally keep the original drive train to keep the car "all original". If the six is seriously non-functioning or real worn out, however, the FE sounds like an interesting swap. I've been told that the 239 Y-block in my '54 would be hard to get the the correct parts or expertise to rebuild, so I may be in the same boat some day.

One question though: Would the original rear end in a '54 Ford be strong enough to handle a 200-300 HP FE or equivalent engine in the long run?
I would not trust the stock rear with an FE the torque would probably kill it off I have a 5.0 and AOD in my '54 which is a fairly easy swap and the automatic transmission is easier on that stock rear,I would not advise doing burn outs with it though. There are a lot of guys running stock rears with the 302/5.0's.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:09 AM   #12
frnkeore

Again, it's not my plan to leave the stock rear, in it. As I said, I have a 9" and 2.74's that will put me at 74 mph @ 2500 rpm, with 255 60 15's.

As a estimate, I would put the stock rear end at about the strength of a 8" Ford.

It's really not the burn out that would kill it, it's when it gets traction and/or wheel hops.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 01-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #13
Flathead

I remember something about reversing the motor mounts, because there is a slight offset to them. Can't remember if it tweaked the engine forward or backward. I did this swap but it was an honest 50 years ago so details are a little foggy, it can't be too tricky 'cause I was just a kid under a tree.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:58 PM   #14
frnkeore

Thanks Flathead.
Since the FE is longer, my guess is reversing them to move the engine forward and it looks like I have a advantage, having a 6 cylinder.

From the one picture I've seen, it doesn't look to bad, if you use the log manifold but, hate those! I'll have to get the engine in and see what will go around the steering box, it sure looks tight.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 02-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #15
mercman from oz

Congratulations, nice addition to your fleet of cars. Not many of these base cars are survivors.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #16
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNNN View Post
. . .
I've been told that the 239 Y-block in my '54 would be hard to get the the correct parts or expertise to rebuild, so I may be in the same boat some day.

. . .
JimNNN,
About 8 years ago I took a '54 Y-block engine to a local old-school machine shop (owned by a Ford fan) to see if it was rebuildable. He told me it was but only because it was a 'late' version and he hadn't been able to get parts for the 'early' ones for quite a few years.
If I could locate the parts he needed (on my own) then he could do the work. It may have mostly had to do with the different size cam bearings???
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote