Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
Patrick brophy

Default First post

Hello all,

I stumbled upon this site a few days ago while searching for a topic regarding choke tubes.

Wow ,what a wealth of information, knowledge and of course a few opinions.
I am in the process of doing a frame off restoration of a 1957 Thunderbird. As I type this the car is sitting in a heated paint booth getting a coat of epoxy primer.

I had it sand blasted ,or if you must ,glass blasted last week. That uncovered a few surprises that were unexpected.

While working on this project I gave it a lot of thought and I decided that I ws going to drive this car. I was not going to go the route where every nut and bolt had to be correct for 1957. I also wanted a car that was going to be dependable by todays standards.

I also need the car to meet the needs of the Lady of the house, so power steering and power disc brakes were needed.
I also got electric windshield wipers, a new and modern Mallory tech drive dist, and a new Holley carb.

When I got the car it had a 292 motor with a 3 speed manual transmission. I found a 312 motor and an auto transmission ,both were rebuilt. I had the trans done, but I did most of the engine work myself.

The car has been sitting on the rotisserie close to 10 years ,and the engine has been sitting in the chassis as long. I am now back at it.

The car was not running when I received it, and it was partially disassembled and in boxes. The fellow had ordered many new parts but did ,it seem not have the ability to do the work.

I have a few questions.

#1 I found a thread regarding the choke tube manifold crossover tube.The reason I found that is because I attempted to put a choke tube brass fitting into the manifold and found the pipe was deformed. When looking on the internet to see how to resolve the issue, I found this site. I even found photos.
I have a new crossover tube on the way, but my question is this. In the package I received with the choke tube there was a threaded brass nut and ferrule that appears to fit over the choke tube. There is no threads on either the brass fitting that gets pressed into the manifold, nor on the carburetor inlet for the choke tube.
Am I to assume that on the older carbs this outlet was threaded ?

#2. Would anyone have the correct linkage photo for both the Carb and the Transmission. The ones that were in the car were homemade, and pretty crude at that, and were discarded. Also I am interested in second hand parts if somebody has a setup.

#3. 14 inch Kelsey Hayes wheels for this car. am interested in the steel wheels.

Thats all for now, great site.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick brophy; 01-23-2021 at 07:55 PM. Reason: name
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: First post

Welcome - I hope you enjoy your TBird.

1. The fittings that go into the heat tube just push in. On a 57, the left (drivers) side uses a mushroom type fitting and the right side uses an elbow fitting which is the heat source for the choke. Both should be available from the Tbird parts houses..

2. Some of the linkage (automatic) is available from the Tbird parts houses. Others you may have to get used. Hill's Restoration is a good source for used (as well as new) parts. Another good supplier is CASCO

3. Stock wheels may be available at Hill's, CASCO or here - lilbirds567@wmconnect or 570-709-0823 (Adrian). Have dealt with all the sources, all good. The second may also have the linkage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick brophy View Post
Hello all,

I stumbled upon this site a few days ago while searching for a topic regarding choke tubes.

Wow ,what a wealth of information, knowledge and of course a few opinions.
I am in the process of doing a frame off restoration of a 1957 Thunderbird. As I type this the car is sitting in a heated paint booth getting a coat of epoxy primer.

I had it sand blasted ,or if you must ,glass blasted last week. That uncovered a few surprises that were unexpected.

While working on this project I gave it a lot of thought and I decided that I ws going to drive this car. I was not going to go the route where every nut and bolt had to be correct for 1957. I also wanted a car that was going to be dependable by todays standards.

I also need the car to meet the needs of the Lady of the house, so power steering and power disc brakes were needed.
I also got electric windshield wipers, a new and modern Mallory tech drive dist, and a new Holley carb.

When I got the car it had a 292 motor with a 3 speed manual transmission. I found a 312 motor and an auto transmission ,both were rebuilt. I had the trans done, but I did most of the engine work myself.

The car has been sitting on the rotisserie close to 10 years ,and the engine has been sitting in the chassis as long. I am now back at it.

The car was not running when I received it, and it was partially disassembled and in boxes. The fellow had ordered many new parts but did ,it seem not have the ability to do the work.

I have a few questions.

#1 I found a thread regarding the choke tube manifold crossover tube.The reason I found that is because I attempted to put a choke tube brass fitting into the manifold and found the pipe was deformed. When looking on the internet to see how to resolve the issue, I found this site. I even found photos.
I have a new crossover tube on the way, but my question is this. In the package I received with the choke tube there was a threaded brass nut and ferrule that appears to fit over the choke tube. There is no threads on either the brass fitting that gets pressed into the manifold, nor on the carburetor inlet for the choke tube.
Am I to assume that on the older carbs this outlet was threaded ?

#2. Would anyone have the correct linkage photo for both the Carb and the Transmission. The ones that were in the car were homemade, and pretty crude at that, and were discarded. Also I am interested in second hand parts if somebody has a setup.

#3. 14 inch Kelsey Hayes wheels for this car. am interested in the steel wheels.

Thats all for now, great site.

Patrick
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:24 PM   #3
McMimmcs

Welcome to the Barn. Although I am not one of them, this site has an abundance of experts that can answer your every inquiry. Fire away!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Welcome to the FordBarn Patrick

Quote:
. . .
Am I to assume that on the older carbs this outlet was threaded ? . . .
The threaded brass nut goes on the upper end of the short curved hot air tube and threads onto a fitting at the side of the choke housing of the original carburetor. Photo 2 and the top edge of photo 3.
If you aren't using a carburetor with a hot air inlet, the plumbing for it thru and out of the intake manifold won't actually be needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg choke heat tube kit.jpg (36.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 57 ECZ choke, circle.jpg (47.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg choke heat tube, copy.jpg (80.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg choke tube copy.jpg (71.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-24-2021 at 03:17 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
dmsfrr

The longer stainless steel crossover tube passes thru an exhaust passage running right to left thru the intake manifold. If it is intact there is no problem, but they are subject to corrosion and failure.
In an original setup this can result in damage to the choke mechanism due to corrosive exhaust fumes & particles passing into the choke and carburetor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake, choke heat tube, bottom, copy.jpg (69.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg broken choke heat tube.jpg (35.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 57 intake ECZ-B choke air in.jpg (104.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg choke tube mushroom inlet cap.jpg (73.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-24-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:07 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
. . . When I got the car it had a 292 motor with a 3 speed manual transmission. I found a 312 motor and an auto transmission ,both were rebuilt. I had the trans done, but I did most of the engine work myself. ...
Save all the leftover parts from the manual transmission, they are T-Bird specific and hard to find for someone who needs them. Clutch linkage, shifter, etc. etc. Even the flywheel is the 'better' size.
Most '55/'57 T-Birds came with automatics. Check that the radiator has the transmission cooler fittings at the bottom.

If you have the 3spd shifter or other extra parts, I know of a '57 T-Bird that might need them

Double check that the driveshaft yoke fits the output splines of the automatic, it should but stranger things have happened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator fittings, arrows.jpg (116.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20201115_125304 c.jpg (45.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-24-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
Patrick brophy

My carb looks like that. I don't see any threads on that one either.

That was my confusion. What is a threaded nut going to do on a smooth surfaced port on the carb?

I am in need of a new tube that passes thru the manifold. Mine is gone. Of course I was not aware of that until I had the engine and manifold painted in all it's glory.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
That was my confusion. What is a threaded nut going to do on a smooth surfaced port on the carb?
I am in need of a new tube that passes thru the manifold. Mine is gone. Of course I was not aware of that until I had the engine and manifold painted in all it's glory.
Are you sure it's the same carburetor? This one is an original '57 T-Bird carb. List # 1273. There are some '58+ Holleys that look similar, along with newer replacements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '57 List 1273 pass side, choke air inlet.jpg (123.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg '57 List 1273.jpg (76.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg List 1273 c.jpg (28.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-24-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
dmsfrr

Quote:
. . . #2. Would anyone have the correct linkage photo for both the Carb and the Transmission. ...
There are illustrations of the throttle and transmission linkage along with their proper adjustment procedure on page 2-89 of a '57 Shop Manual. The internal fluid pressure and shifting of the original FordOmatic is mechanically controlled by the throttle position, thru the control rod from the bellcrank down to the transmission. (photo 3)
It is very particular unless done just right.

The manual trans throttle operating rod (Z bar ?) on the firewall is not the same as the automatic version.
The auto trans bellcrank linkage on the left rear corner of the intake manifold reminds me of a bizarre rat trap.

random throttle / auto trans linkage photos below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle bellcrank, left side.jpg (84.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg throttle bellcrank, right side.jpg (84.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg kickdown throttle rod.jpg (48.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 57 throttle linkage bellcrank.jpg (70.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg throttle Z bar bracket copy.jpg (75.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg kick down rod adjustment image.jpg (55.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-24-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
dmsfrr

Quote:
"IF" your carburetor does not have some sort of fitting for a hot air intake for the choke, you don't actually need the heat cross-over tube inside the intake manifold.
You can plug both outer ends of the small holes in the intake manif where the tube would have been and use an electric choke cover... or something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake pass side c.jpg (72.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg choke side copy.jpg (76.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-24-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #11
Patrick brophy

In post #4,photo #2 shows the type of port I have on my carburetor. Your last post shows a carburetor with threaded fitting.That explains it all. That's the first one I have seen like that.
I can now assume that I would just press the choke tube into the carburetor on mine?

I have quite a few spare parts, although someone already talked me out of the trans and shifter. I still have the bell housing, clutch linkage, flywheel ,clutch and pressure plate, that appear almost new,couple of Ford distributors, couple of headlight brows and some other odds and ends.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #12
parklane

Welcome to the barn.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:11 AM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
In post #4,photo #2 shows the type of port I have on my carburetor. Your last post shows a carburetor with threaded fitting.That explains it all. That's the first one I have seen like that.
I can now assume that I would just press the choke tube into the carburetor on mine?
The carburetor in that photo has a threaded fitting for the brass nut (and ferrule) at the top of the short curved hot air tube.