Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
ericr

Default are you guys putting the little screen inside the iron sediment bulb?

I've been with Model "A"s since the mid-1960s but never realized there was supposed to be a screen in it. Tried to install a repro but could not get it seated directly vertical. I suspect the originals fit better. It would be nice to find a paper filter that fit correctly.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: are you guys putting the little screen inside the iron sediment bulb?

Yes I do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter dripping nose.jpg (19.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
Oldbluoval

Default Re: are you guys putting the little screen inside the iron sediment bulb?

If you don’t it takes away part of its effectiveness
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
700rpm

I can’t remember. Now I’ll have to go check.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
abachman3

Yes. It can be a bugger to get it seated just correctly. But the screen does help keep crud out of the gas line.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
McMimmcs

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abachman3 View Post
Yes. It can be a bugger to get it seated just correctly. But the screen does help keep crud out of the gas line.
I agree and it is a bit difficult to place properly.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #7
SteveB31

That s the one and only purpose of the sediment bowl. Gas and dirt goes in, dirt stays in the bowl because the screen prevents the dirt from leaving the bowl and flowing to the carburetor. Without the screen it will not work as intended
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:52 PM   #8
old31

I agree with Steve, x2.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
1928Mik

I clean that screen out about 3 times a season. You have to make it fit just right. Never saw a paper filter.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #10
al's28/33

I think the paper type would plug up too quick, the original steel screening works best, never had any issues from mine.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #11
ericr

could you use the right size wire to stick up through the relevant parts and slide the filter up the wire?
Old 12-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
Cape Codder

ericr - I too use the screen with good results! I'm not trying to pick holes in your post, but I'm sure you meant to say horizontal! There is also a paper one made but Im sorry I don't have a NAPA number.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:44 AM   #13
old31

I use the sediment bowl screen AND this paper filter. I have tried many, and found this to be the best.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword
Old 12-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #14
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
I use the sediment bowl screen AND this paper filter. I have tried many, and found this to be the best.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword
I looked but isn't that paper filter for the glass bowl type of sediment unit?
Old 12-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #15
Jim M

I use a paper filter from NAPA that fits and works perfect. Will try to go down to my shop sometime today and get the NAPA number. I wanted to make sure that my newly rebuilt carb stayed perfectly clean. I sent it to Jim Bullock for rebuilding and it came back looking AND working like it just came out of a Ford factory. Didn't have to do a thing - just mounted it and let it fill up with fuel and off I went. We are so fortunate to have so many great people in our hobby!!!!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
Bob C

I'm sure ericr is talking about the cast iron sediment bowl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sediment bowl.jpg (66.1 KB, 14 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #17
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
I use a paper filter from NAPA that fits and works perfect. Will try to go down to my shop sometime today and get the NAPA number. I wanted to make sure that my newly rebuilt carb stayed perfectly clean. I sent it to Jim Bullock for rebuilding and it came back looking AND working like it just came out of a Ford factory. Didn't have to do a thing - just mounted it and let it fill up with fuel and off I went. We are so fortunate to have so many great people in our hobby!!!!
thanks that would be great to know....you must have taken a spare sediment bowl with you to NAPA to find one that fit correctly....
Old 12-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #18
Kevin in NJ

My 30 fordor had a tank that was full of rust. It would clog the valve and I would have to blow back.

I did a flush of the tank and cleared a lot of the trash. I also changed over to a factory glass bowl with a factory screen and made sure the screen in the carb had proper ends so it would seal. I change to the factory bowl to monitor the level of trash over time.

I also put a tube in the tank so the trash would not clog the valve. This allows the dirt to come out over time and clean the system.

The brass screens caught everything. The carb bowl was always cleaned as I checked it all a few times a year. The carb filter was always clean too. The glass bowl caught a lot at first, but it was not long before the rate of trash dropped a lot.

Let me be clear. You MUST have good screens there are damaged screens and a lot of after market screens that do not have good ends. These bad screens will let dirt past the end. You will notice the factory screens have carefully made ends or edges for the glass bowl. My opinion is you want a factory screen.

Do not waste your time with the paper screens. The filters are not always the best for a gravity system. It is just more area for connection problems and the formation of gas bubbles.

The fuel system is one of many areas where the original system properly built will just always work and never give you any problems. Build it once and drive the crap out of the car with no worry.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #19
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I looked but isn't that paper filter for the glass bowl type of sediment unit?
Yes it is for the glass bowl type.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #20
Gene F

I use the screen. I also added the little screen that stands up in the petcock on the bottom of the fuel tank. I got it at Snyders. Last time I took mine out (on the firewall) it looked like a waste of time. Evidently I have a very clean fuel tank. I checked the other one too, it was clean also.

You definately need something, or that carb WILL have an issue sooner or later.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote