Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
sawzall

Default engine / trans install question

This week I hope to reinstall the engine / trans in my 29 wagon..

I have a feeling the wealth of knowledge here might serve me well..

so.. the question.

stock model a stock trans, I think i have 2 reinstall options..

1.. install the trans / bellhousing into the car, bolt up the wishbone etc and THEN install the engine into the car

or
2 assemble the engine / trans as one unit together and then slide that into the car.?

any reason why one method is superior to the other?
Old 07-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Conaway2

Default Re: engine / trans install question

I’ve done several engine installs the first way, and always have an issue getting the alignment between clutch and transmission right. Never tried it the other way - might be a lot simpler.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
Ray64

install as a single unit
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
Licensed to kill

I plan to install as a single unit. Never even considered doing them separately.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
Big hammer

I've only installed as one unit with the body off with no help. With the body on I'am thinking help would be needed? Other times separately and again with no help. I think I need some help!
Old 07-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
Dean Lemoine

I recently installed (my first) engine and transmission as one unit. I did it with no help, the body on the car (‘29Tudor), original style motor mounts, a home made frame spreader with the rear end and torque tube in place. Was it a challenge? Absolutely. I would recommend taking the brake and clutch pedals off as well as the starter. Enjoy and be safe.

Last edited by Dean Lemoine; 07-26-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #7
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Either way do some extras..install a new clutch disc,verify the ujoint is tight,check clutch finger height insure ring gear and pilot bearing is good.I split engine and trans,if you get the clutch aligned correctly it will slide together nice
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
sawzall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Either way do some extras..install a new clutch disc,verify the ujoint is tight,check clutch finger height insure ring gear and pilot bearing is good.I split engine and trans,if you get the clutch aligned correctly it will slide together nice

that job wooped me today.. Ive attempted to align the clutch 3 times with the plastic tool , tomorrow I'll see if the scrap trans I have still has an input shaft that can be used instead.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
katy

I had a friend (now deceased) that used to make wood clutch alignment tools on the lathe, worked good.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
Patrick L.

The correct plastic shaft works fine. I've also spun a wooden one which worked well, of course I found the plastic one right after.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
Dave in MN

If you plan to install as one unit, do youself a favor and remove the light bar and front bumper. Put some padding on the bumper bracket ends to protect your shins.
Good luck...be safe.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #12
callcoy

You need to try the alignment tool again, loosen the cover, slide the disk around after loosening, lineup with the pilot bearing and torque the cover evenly to spec's. I prefer to leave or install the transmission in the car to avoid having to removing the headlihts and their cross bar.

With the trans and clutch housing in place, you did check out the ujoint and lube it didn't you? Place a floor jack under the trans and jack it up, maybe even higher than you think. Prepare the engine for install, a helper would be a good idea at this stage, mine is 90 and shorter then me so he works the bottom, doesn't like a creeper so cardboard is his choice.

Prepare the engine for install, the two of us have done 3 so far this year, cut the heads off two 3/8" x 2 1/2 to 3" bolts, clean the raw ends and maybe cut screwdriver slots cross the ends so you can screw these out when done with them. Screw these alignment studs into the clutch housing at approx. 10 & 2 o'clock. Lift the engine without the starter and direct it into the engine bay, you don't want to fight the interference with the steering column. All of this is done without removing headlights and bar.

With helper working the bottom to give you feed back, alignment pins started in the bellhousing and adjusting the trans height to obtain a bellhousing to flywheelhousing parallel condition, a little pressure to the rear and maybe a twist of the flywheel to align the main shaft to the clutch disk the engine will slip into position.

But wait what if the peskey frame is narrower than rear engine mounts, you will need a frame spreader, we don't even attempt an install without one, maybe your club or a member has one. It is your project don't let it control you, take your time and do it right.

Last edited by callcoy; 09-01-2020 at 11:00 PM.
callcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #13
Synchro909

I've done it both ways unassisted. Six of one, half a dozen of the other!
If you install both at the same time, be careful when you are lining up the drive shaft in the universal. When you get it right, they sometimes come together in a rush. DON'T have your fingers in there. I use screw drivers etc to manipulate things.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:16 AM   #14
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by callcoy View Post
You need to try the alignment tool again, loosen the cover, slide the disk around after loosening, lineup with the pilot bearing and torque the cover evenly to spec's. I prefer to leave or install the transmission in the car to avoid having to removing the headlihts and their cross bar.

With the trans and clutch housing in place, you did check out the ujoint and lube it didn't you? Place a floor jack under the trans and jack it up, maybe even higher than you think. Prepare the engine for install, a helper would be a good idea at this stage, mine is 90 and shorter then me so he works the bottom, doesn't like a creeper so cardboard is his choice.

Prepare the engine for install, the two of us have done 3 so far this year, cut the heads off two 3/8" x 2 1/2 to 3" bolts, clean the raw ends and maybe cut screwdriver slots cross the ends so you can screw these out when done with them. Screw these alignment studs into the clutch housing at approx. 10 & 2 o'clock. Lift the engine without the starter and direct it into the engine bay, you don't want to fight the interference with the steering column. All of this is done without removing headlights and bar.

With helper working the bottom to give you feed back, alignment pins started in the bellhousing and adjusting the trans height to obtain a bellhousing to flywheelhousing parallel condition, a little pressure to the rear and maybe a twist of the flywheel to align the main shaft to the clutch disk the engine will slip into position.

But wait what if the peskey frame is narrower than rear engine mounts, you will need a frame spreader, we don't even attempt an install without one, maybe your club or a member has one. It is your project don't let it control you, take your time and do it right.
Spoken like a guy that has been to this rodeo.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #15
PalAl

I pulled original engine/trans and installed spare engine/trans as one unit with help from my 11 year old grandson, give yourself plenty of working room, double check that everything is disconnected, take your time and give it a yank. Piece of cake, and fun.
At least for us..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize.engine.install.jpg (70.9 KB, 45 views)
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #16
PalAl

This is also a great time to clean and refinish the engine compartment and anything else that you can't normally access easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize.battery.box.jpg (56.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Resized.firewall.old.jpg (68.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Resized.firewall.refinished.jpg (73.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #17
PalAl

Hey , just for fun.......... how many Model A parts can you spot in the picture?
List them

Sorry no Waldo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize.battery.box.jpg (56.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #18
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
that job wooped me today.. Ive attempted to align the clutch 3 times with the plastic tool , tomorrow I'll see if the scrap trans I have still has an input shaft that can be used instead.
If you’re trying to install the engine separate and after the transmission is installed you need to reach in the bell housing access cover and turn the transmission shaft while a buddy slides the engine in place.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #19
California Charlie

I'm planning on installing the engine and trans as one unit. Is a frame spreader an absolute must?? Thanks
California Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #20
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Charlie View Post
I'm planning on installing the engine and trans as one unit. Is a frame spreader an absolute must?? Thanks
I would say yes......... unless you install rear "float-A-Motor" engine mounts

Yes, especially if you have installed new rubber pads on the original motor mounts