Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Beecher

Default 28 Roadster floor/curtain pan

Im starting to build a 28 roadster, but the subrails and floor are all brookville. Im in the process of getting it all fitted together now, but have a couple questions before I can proceed.

Firstly, the curtain pan, it rivets to the number 2 cross channel, at least on the front edge, but what about at the back edge of the cross brace? It would make sense to me if it was, but Im not sure. It is an original cross brace, and it does have holes in the back edge, but thought that could be for a non rumble car? Mine will be rumble

Second, the seat stiffener brace, I need a picture of this piece installed. I cant figure enough of it out to feel comfortable enough to trim and install.

Third, I assume the front edge of the rumble floor gets rivets across the front seat rear riser?

I know there is a great thread on here with the assembly of the 30/31 floor, which has been a tremendous help, but a couple pieces arent the same.

Thanks so much everyone! This is my first A, so another big learning curve.

Beech
Beecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: 28 Roadster floor/curtain pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecher View Post
Im starting to build a 28 roadster, but the subrails and floor are all brookville. Im in the process of getting it all fitted together now, but have a couple questions before I can proceed.

Firstly, the curtain pan, it rivets to the number 2 cross channel, at least on the front edge, but what about at the back edge of the cross brace? It would make sense to me if it was, but Im not sure. It is an original cross brace, and it does have holes in the back edge, but thought that could be for a non rumble car? Mine will be rumble

Beech
It could help some of us here to know the month of your 28 Roadster.
My 28 Roadster is an original rumble seat car..8-14-28..by the tank
date. It does not have a " curtain pan ". Are you building a driver
or a correct looking car. Post some photos( a bunch ). people like
too look at them.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecher View Post

Second, the seat stiffener brace, I need a picture of this piece installed. I cant figure enough of it out to feel comfortable enough to trim and install.

Third, I assume the front edge of the rumble floor gets rivets across the front seat rear riser?

I know there is a great thread on here with the assembly of the 30/31 floor, which has been a tremendous help, but a couple pieces arent the same.

Thanks so much everyone! This is my first A, so another big learning curve.

Beech
the curtain pan has a flange with a 90 degree bend on it that butts up against an edge of the back seat riser. Next, the butt seat riser gets installed. finally that stiffener brace goes on top of the but seat riser.

This is sacrilegious to say on this blog but I simply pop-riveted all three together after installation.

Also see the PM I sent you.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Beecher

Thanks guys, I dont have an original tank, so dont know the date, I have since learned most 28s dont have a the curatain pan. Im building a driver, but I like my cars to be as correct as possible. I like to build to the earliest configuration of the year if possible. Right now Im considering not putting the curtain pan in, but since I have it, and its already trimmed to fit and epoxy primed, but I have a feeling it will always bug me that its in there, and doesnt really belong in a 28. Which floor would I want if I dont use the curtain pan? The coupe floor? this one?

http://macsautoparts.com/model-a-for...0R3CHL1066294/

Thanks!

Beech
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Beecher

I just went and looked at the tank I do have, and cant find a date. I seem to recall them being substancially stamped in, so im shocked I cant find it, but I need to strip a very heavy coat of epoxy primer off it, so i may find it in the next week or so.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Phil

Many tanks I have found are not stamped.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote