Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #81
seadog

Default Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

I'd like to add another vote for a LIVE PERSON on the other end of the phone and NO trips through Voice Mail Hell. To me that's much more important than an 800 number. It is, after all, about Customer Service; which I have found to be very good at your shop, Mr. Spadaro!
seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #82
Graeme / New Zealand

Default Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
An easily navigated website is more important to me than an 800 number. If a vendor has what I need the phone number doesn't matter. However, if I'm searching for a part and the website says they have it but I have to enter the year and model and make, etc, etc of the vehicle I'm working on, I don't bother. Direct answer to your question--no an 800 number doesn't influence whether I call or not--if you have what I'm looking for, I'll call if need be. Rod

I agree. All my parts ordering is done via internet. It's fast and efficient ( when you live at the ass end of the world) and yes I agree an easily navigated website is more important as I don't want to be "fart assing" around within the site trying to find the bits I want to order. I rarely use 0800 numbers on any phone call I make.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 03-07-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #83
Cecil/WV

Doesn't matter to me, I have no land lines at all. Do what works best for your business.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #84
ems customer service

dick, do you believe me now????
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #85
Beecher

I rarely phone 800 numbers when given a choice, and I know many like me. Most 800 numbers you phone wind up going threw big annoying automated answering thingies , which must cost a bit of dough, and rarely help the customer at all, in fact, usually irritates them, and they hang up. Where as calling the "local" number, a real live person usually answers the phone. When Ive called you, I didnt use the 800, and someone answered, so not sure if you use a computer on the 800 line or not, but I know plenty that do. Then of course there are the 800 numbers that only work in certain areas (MANY 800s cant be called from Canada, and its usually when you only have the 800 number), but Ive encounted US to US 800s that can be used from the area I was in, never could figure that one out. Ill use 800s the rare time its an overseas call, but cant even remember the last time I dialed "1800" lol

My family business was also on the flip side of that, we had a 800 number, and no one called it anyway, talk about money down the drain, that was before cells with unlimited nation wide calling even came about. We got rid of it, and no one even noticed.

In the day of emails, VOIP, and unlimited talk, I would say 800 numbers are a bit antiquated. They have their place, mind you.

Will you loose customers, because they wont pay for a LD phone call to you? Maybe. Will it be many? Doubtful.
Beecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #86
Beecher

Talking Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I might be in the minority, but an "800" number gives me a sense that it's a real company, not someone working out of their kitchen...just me.

Funny, my 800 line phone was in....the KITCHEN! lol

just saying
Beecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #87
GreenMonster48

I don't like talking to people and avoid it whenever possible. I know what I'm looking for before I order 99% of the time, so I do my shopping online.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote