Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
flexiheep

Default Salvage title perception question

Ok, long story short, my A was hit by a drunk driver (charges for DWI and wreckless driving on him), I am now past the repair cost and on to the total loss dept of his insurance company. We are pretty close on value for the car I believe, but due to NM law I will end up with a salvage stamped title in the end. I don't plan to sell the car (been in the family for 50 years, drove my dad around in it before he passed, drove my wife to the hospital when my son was born, kids are really attached to it, etc)but my wife and I are wondering what kind of stigma a salvage title has on a car like an A?

My wife thinks about modern cars where salvage is bad, I think that since a properly restored A gets pulled down to the frame in order to do a good job a salvage title doesn't mean much on an 80 year old car.....

It is mainly a perception issue, my wife knows that the car will be fixed and damage will be erased, but the title will be always show the damage from the idiot who hit us.

In the end it doesn't matter, a stamp on the title doesn't change the smile as you drive, but it is nice to hear from others some times.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Salvage title perception question

The only time that 'branded title' will ever be an issue is when you decide to transfer ownership. To some, it may be an issue. To others, having documented images showing the repairs and the length of time those repairs have been done will likely offset some of the fear. For example, if I were in the market for a Model-A that was restored back in 1970, and has 30,000 documented miles of touring, if I found out the title showed Salvage History, I don't think I would have a concern. On the other hand, if I needed to go to the bank to borrow the money, then maybe the bank's loan officer might have some issues?? For the immediate, I think the family legacy the vehicle has overides the branded title issue.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Marcus

Flexiheep - You are going to get a zillion different answers for this question, but here is one with a little different twist: When my neighbor's "A" was totaled a number of years ago, he bought the car back from the insurance company (salvage title), BUT, he also had a notorized letter from them explaining the circumstances (he actually wrote the letter, then had the insurance agent sign). He has had NO issues with license plates, nor any other questions concerning the automobile. In fact, when he decided to sell and advertised the car for sale, he explained to prospective buyers what had happened, detailed the repairs made AND produced the letter from the insurance company - it was sold with no further questions asked.

As you said - the sentimental value is priceless, but I would NOT hesitate to get that salvage title - and keep the smiles!!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Fordors

From what I read it looks that upon rebuilding a "specialized title " will be required by NM law. Check the following link- http://www.dmv.org/nm-new-mexico/salvaged-vehicles.php
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

document everything. keep the paper work about what actually happened with the drunk driver, take pics of the damage before and during restoration. i dont see it being a problem at all. i am currently restoring a 30 tudor that i bought back from the insurance with a salvage title from my shop fire caused by a ford cruise control deactivation switch. The car will actually be better than what it was before the incident and I am sure yours will be also
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

That is a good link and makes it clear you better plan carefully. The main point in NM is:

" In this state, a vehicle deemed "nonrepairable" or salvage can only go one place―to the scrap heap. State lsw prohibits any type of rebuilding or repairing of a salvage vehicle for a return to the road."

In California you can repair a car with a salvage title but in many cases the vehicle is deemed to have no value so any future loss is at your own expense. There may be a way around this but I've never had a need to look into it.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
That is a good link and makes it clear you better plan carefully. The main point in NM is:

" In this state, a vehicle deemed "nonrepairable" or salvage can only go one place―to the scrap heap. State lsw prohibits any type of rebuilding or repairing of a salvage vehicle for a return to the road."

In California you can repair a car with a salvage title but in many cases the vehicle is deemed to have no value so any future loss is at your own expense. There may be a way around this but I've never had a need to look into it.
Title it in another state and then bring it back
Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
mccsix

I would make sure the insurance pays you for the "potential" loss of value when you agree to a settlement with them. You can fix fenders and frames but there's nothing YOU can do to erase the DMV record which might cause a sale problem later on.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
ronn

I would change the motor and have a fresh car, or restamp the block....

Wouldn't want to deal with the stigma.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

That's always an option also
Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
flexiheep

Well, I started to look at the forms the Ins compant fills out for a "total loss" in NM, not promissing......

From Form MVD 10005 Application for Non Repairable Certificate:
A non-repairable vehicle shall not be repaired, reconstructed or restored for operation on the roads or highways of this state.
An owner of a non-repairable vehicle shall sell or otherwise convey that vehicle only to a licensed wrecker of vehicles or a person
licensed by a jurisdiction outside of this state to process vehicles by dismantling, wrecking, shredding, crushing or selling motor
vehicle parts or scrap material or otherwise disposing of motor vehicles.

Same thing is on many other forms for a salvage title at the NM MVD......

Heck, I can't even sell the parts off the car once it is registered as a salvage here..... I have to sell it to a registered dismantiler....

Back to square one, need to figure out how to get paid without a "total loss/salvage"............
Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Has anyone seen a car at auction that had a salvage title? Is any title information ever given?

So someone could spend a fortune for a vehicle with a salvage title.

If you like the car and the next buyer likes the car what difference does the make what the title says?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
old car guy

Talk to the adjuster under writer that's handling your claim explain the problem far greater issues have been solved. With just some reasonable conversation. There are many circumstances that they deal with on a regular basis that you and I do not know about. Their client hit you. It's in the better interest. To work. This out with you. Even if you offer to accept a little less It can be resolved. Good luck
Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
PetesPonies

on an 8 month old car . . it's an issue. On an 80 year old car . . non issue; IMO.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by old car guy View Post
Talk to the adjuster under writer that's handling your claim explain the problem far greater issues have been solved. With just some reasonable conversation. There are many circumstances that they deal with on a regular basis that you and I do not know about. Their client hit you. It's in the better interest. To work. This out with you. Even if you offer to accept a little less It can be resolved. Good luck
ditto

Paul

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

Restamping the block is illegal under federal law.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
Bob C

Looks like you could do a "Reconstructed Vehicle" but what would that do to your
insurance or license fees. See link http://www.dmv.org/nm-new-mexico/cus...ucted-Vehicles

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
Ross/Kzoo

There was a good point mentioned about suffering a loss on a salvage title. The Insurance companies look for any excuse to pay less or nothing. A salvage title opens the door on this. Register it a state where you can a "duplicate title" or whatever they call it. In Michigan I went to the DMV with a bill of sale and motor number. Took about 45 minutes to check every state to if was registered there and since it wasn't I got a new title in the mail 3 weeks later and the title looks like every other title I have.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
Buz

The insurance company owes you more $$ for loss of value due to the salvage title issue. The other issue is that some day even if it is far in the future the car will be sold and the salvage history will follow the car and banks will not loan money (at least in this state) on a car with salvage history.
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
400A-64

It is not too difficult to find an un used title whether from your state or from another state. Re-register it here or there.....
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote