Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Kustom Komet

Default New owner, '28 roadster

Afternoon everyone. Long term HAMB member here, brand new stock Model A owner. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out the best p'bucket alternative, as they wiped me out too.

I really like it, but I can't get it into second at anything higher than a slow crawl, like barely moving, or it'll grind - I don't dare force it. I've tried all combinations of double clutching and the three count. I've watched all of the driving an A Youtube videos, and they are helpful, but all of those cars can get into 2nd at a normal speed. I wish I knew where to start looking.

Apologies in advance for all the forthcoming dumb questions.
Kustom Komet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: New owner, '28 roadster

Pull your shift tower and take a look inside. When you put it back, make sure your shifting forks are properly aligned. Buy Les Andrews's red book and a copy of the Service Bulletins. Enjoy life in the slow lane.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
eagle

To shift smoothly, just nicely get the car moving in 1st, then slide it into second. Yes it needs to be slow. I have seen people run the RPM too high and then SLAM it into second. I wouldn't allow that on my car though.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
Dodge

Also make sure you have 600wt oil in there, it helps a lot. Stick you finger in it,
it should be thick like honey and not smell like regular 90wt.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
WHN

I would start with changing the transmission oil. We use 50/50 blend of 600w trans oil and STP. First gear is just to get you moving. Second will take you up to speed. Try shifting around 5 mph. I just roll out of driveway and go right into second gear. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
mhsprecher

My 28 roadster likes shifting at a very low speed, too. Very different from my 1930 town sedan. I have no idea why? The suggestions on checking the trans oil are good ones. It didn't seem to help me, either, though.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
1930artdeco

Welcome to the barn. Another thing to look at is clutch adjustment. Both pedal and pressure plate fingers.

Mike

Last edited by 1930artdeco; 11-09-2017 at 07:12 PM.
1930artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #8
Kustom Komet

Thanks for the responses. No way it'll shift at 5mph, which would be nice. I have thought of the oil, and I will drop it and change it and the rear end oil and take a look at the clutch adjustment. I have both Les Andrews books, vol 1 and 2, which have already answered many questions. They came with the car, along with older Snyder's and Mac's catalogs. I will visit the local Chandler Model A shop tomorrow and see if they carry the 600w oil, if not I'll order it.

Older photo, now has top on, trunk off. It's got some nice upgrades like a hydraulic brake conversion, (I needed to rebuild the rear wheel cylinders) a 12V alternator conversion, air maze with mesh filter, and a temp gauge.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

thats a purdy roadster...juice brakes? nah.all steel from pedal to wheel for me..getcha one of those mitchell trannys,full syncro stuffed in a model a box..only your hairdresser will know for sure..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustom Komet View Post
Afternoon everyone. Long term HAMB member here, brand new stock Model A owner. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out the best p'bucket alternative, as they wiped me out too.

I really like it, but I can't get it into second at anything higher than a slow crawl, like barely moving, or it'll grind - I don't dare force it. I've tried all combinations of double clutching and the three count. I've watched all of the driving an A Youtube videos, and they are helpful, but all of those cars can get into 2nd at a normal speed. I wish I knew where to start looking.

Apologies in advance for all the forthcoming dumb questions.
Avoid the hosting sites and post pictures directly to Fordbarn. Go to the main forum page and you will find a "test forum" (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13) where you can practice until you get good.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 11-10-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #11
1930-Pickup

On my '31 Closed Cab Pickup I rarely use first gear; it normally launches just fine in second gear, even with no additional engine revving (conditional on my being the only occupant, and no weight in the bed).

My CCPU uses 4.11 gears, so I may have a slight advantage here, but the CCPU body is somewhat heavier than your roadster.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 AM   #12
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
On my '31 Closed Cab Pickup I rarely use first gear; it normally launches just fine in second gear, even with no additional engine revving (conditional on my being the only occupant, and no weight in the bed).

My CCPU uses 4.11 gears, so I may have a slight advantage here, but the CCPU body is somewhat heavier than your roadster.
I have always thought that starting in 2nd gear would lug the engine and damage the rear main, especially with the heavier models. Your experience may differ.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

A guy in our club likes to lug his engine, and starts in second.

5 and 15 shafts work for me and my stock engine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
burner31

Welcome to our World
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OB-SD713_0305te_H_20120309163303.jpg (163.4 KB, 28 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
lindy williams

Make sure the engine is not idling too fast. A fast idle will make it difficult to shift.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #16
katy

To post pictures, click on the Go advanced box, then click on the paper clip icon and you're in business. Simple.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Very nice Roadster, sharp car!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
Chuck Dempsey

Very sharp!
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #19
100IH

Beautiful color combination, did you inherit the old paint left overs with the names of the colors ?
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #20
Kustom Komet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
thats a purdy roadster...juice brakes? nah.all steel from pedal to wheel for me..getcha one of those mitchell trannys,full syncro stuffed in a model a box..only your hairdresser will know for sure..
It came that way. I'd have no problem with well-adjusted mechanical brakes, I've driven a couple and they stop just fine. This conversion was done a long time ago, with old-timey welds on fabricated brackets and an action-reversing lever to push the master cylinder. Looks like the usual '40s Ford backing plates and parts, and they did a pretty good job. But they didn't re-clock the rear backing plates, so they had to cut the nipples off of the bleeder screws to clear the shock mounts - making for a mess when bleeding the brakes. The MC is completely inaccessible from the top side, so I devised a squeeze bottle and hose to fill it from underneath. Not that bad, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
It does take off reasonably well in second gear, which may be the method if there isn't a quick fix/external adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy williams View Post
Make sure the engine is not idling too fast. A fast idle will make it difficult to shift.
I've had the idle lever all the way up, slow steady idle, 4,5, and 6 count, no difference. If this was another type of car, I'd say the clutch wasn't completely disengaging, but it goes right into 1rst or reverse while idling at a stop with no scratching at all, which it seems not all of these cars do. So because of that, the problem wouldn't likely be the clutch. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
To post pictures, click on the Go advanced box, then click on the paper clip icon and you're in business. Simple.
Thanks, I'll try that. I found another way on the test forum, but it's pretty wonky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
Beautiful color combination, did you inherit the old paint left overs with the names of the colors ?
No paint leftovers, but I did get the receipts from the paint shop that color matched it for touch-up. There are no color names, but I think there are codes. I believe the main color is Vagabond green.