Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
29A

Default Mack hills bed for a 34

Hi all, I have belonged to this site for 10 years. I have gotten a lot of great info and bought stuff off the swap meet. But I have never posted. Would like to start posting and wanted to do a proper intro. I have a 31 model a roadster that is not stock, and now I am starting to build a non stock 34 ford pick up. I want to get a new bed and it looks like mack hills is the best option. Has anyone bought an unassembled bed from them? and are they hard to assemble properly without a jig or would it be better to get one assembled ? Any input would be appreciated.
29A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: Mack hills bed for a 34

I bought a stock length 32 bed from them. Since I was building a non stock PU I elected to buy my bed assembled using their welding method not the riveted version. I also elected to get the wood floor with polished SS strips. I was pleased with the results. I also selected the 37 tailgate as it cleaned up the back end. My reason for buying the bed assembled was that in the past I had built and assembled a good number of beds and felt the extra money was worth it. The shipping wasn't that bad as I am in Nebraska. The quality was excellent.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
totto

I bought pickup bed parts from Mack Hills(metal floor, tail gate and front panel) and repaired my '34 pickup. Was very pleased with the parts and "fit". I had to rivet the metal floor as well as the front panel to the "sides" of the bed and metal fame of the bed. Used my air compressor to install rivets. Mack has the correct rivets. You need a "helper" to install rivets. My '34 is stock. I was pleased with the out come. I did not need a "jig" or did not need any welding. Also replaced wooden subfloor with wood from Mack.

Henry
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #4
Lawson Cox

I bought my bed for my 35 Pickup from Mac Hils. O bought it assembled. Awesome product. Would highly recommend the Mac Hils product.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
29A

Thanks for the replies. I will call them and get prices and time estimate.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
OldGold360

I’ll be honest here. I’m not impressed with Mack Hils. I just received parts from Mack Hils for my ‘36. All the parts look good except for the wood underlayment. I probably won’t even use the wood and as of now I plan to make the wood myself. The cuts look like the person who did it just didn’t care and all the cuts are this crappy (see picture). Also, I was surprised the metal bed floor holes weren’t punched out though. That’s not a big deal.

... and while I’m being honest, watch out for their shipping charges. For a bed floor tin and the wood, they wanted over $1000 plus $150 crating fee. I’m in WA, so you may fair better being in CO. I purchased my bed parts from Ecklers, which still come direct from Mack Hils, but shipping was about $200 plus not crating fee.

The problem is that there is really nobody else making these parts so not much competition in the truck bed market. There is certainly room for improvement on all the products I’ve received from them, especially the bed wood, but it’s what’s out there. Please know, this is intended to help and not discourage you.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0471C387-AD01-45DF-A311-4BDE50A73321.jpeg (82.1 KB, 127 views)
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
Cool 33

I bought a Mac Hils stock assembled style bed for my 33 pick up project. I specified that I did not want the access hole for the fuel sender cut in the bed floor. When it arrived the crate was great (but shipping to Texas was pretty high). When I get it out of the crate I found that they had gone ahead and cut the hole in the bed floor but had not cut the hole for the fuel filler neck thru the bedside. I called them about it and was told that if I didn't like the bed that I could return it at my cost to get it corrected. I had already waited several months to receive it so that was not going to happen! I had no way to locate the filler hole but eventually was able to do enough measuring to determine its location. I prepped and painted the underneath/ bottom of the bed and when I set it on the frame I discovered that the wood sub floor was not notched correctly where it set down over the rear frame kick ups. I had to cut this out with a chisel and then when I again set it down found out that ends of the two center bed cross members did not line up with the factory bolt holes in the frame. Also the hold down bolt holes were not in the bed floor which proved to be good since the holes did not line up any way on the 4 center bolts. Once all the issues were corrected and the truck was finished it looks great and completely original. My advice would be to test fit the bed before any prep work is done because it may have to be turned upside down and 'massaged'.
Cool 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:27 PM   #8
rawlir

I bought a 46 pickup assembled box from them 15 years ago. Was happy with it...would not have done it any other way.
Now doing a 47 Tonner pickup, no other options than fixing the one i have....OUCH!!!
rawlir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
dave collette

I bought bed floor for my 1940 pickup from them.I was impressed with the quality of the product and the great help in letting me know how to pickup the bottom at there site.They are super to deal with.
dave collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #10
32phil

I bought a 32 "shorty" pick up box from Mack's.
Thinking that it was a drop in/ bolt in I had it painted and I finished the wood.
The fit and finish of everything was very good.
When we tried to mount it on the chassis absolutely nothing lined up. Not one hole was in the correct place. When I contacted them they began to "educate" me on 32 Ford frames.
They told me I had a Factory "long bed frame" and I needed to use a Factory "short bed frame". No such animal exists nor did it ever. Also judging from the pictures I sent I was told the bed was "way too far forward" It was 3/4" from the back of the cab and the reveal on the sides of the bed lined up with the center line of the rear wheel. He had no explanation for that minor fact. After telling me I needed a short box frame again I politely thanked him for his time and hung up.
What we discovered was the inner framework of the bed was incorrectly welded to the bed sides and front panel. That put one of the bed crossmembers in direct conflict with the rear frame crossmember. I had to cut out the offending area of the bed(goodbye nice paint !). I made up some brackets to reinforce the cut area and touched them up to match. The bed inner framing itself was about three inches too far forward so none of the holes lined up. Also no provision was made to attach the rear of the bed using the original brackets Ford used in 1932. I made up 2 brackets to attach the rear of the box to the original rear brackets. I drilled 2 holes in the frame using the holes in the bed as a template.
All in all it looks great but after a lot of work/rework on my part.
Just the facts.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
OldGold360

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32phil View Post
I bought a 32 "shorty" pick up box from Mack's.
Thinking that it was a drop in/ bolt in I had it painted and I finished the wood.
The fit and finish of everything was very good.
When we tried to mount it on the chassis absolutely nothing lined up. Not one hole was in the correct place. When I contacted them they began to "educate" me on 32 Ford frames.
They told me I had a Factory "long bed frame" and I needed to use a Factory "short bed frame". No such animal exists nor did it ever. Also judging from the pictures I sent I was told the bed was "way too far forward" It was 3/4" from the back of the cab and the reveal on the sides of the bed lined up with the center line of the rear wheel. He had no explanation for that minor fact. After telling me I needed a short box frame again I politely thanked him for his time and hung up.
What we discovered was the inner framework of the bed was incorrectly welded to the bed sides and front panel. That put one of the bed crossmembers in direct conflict with the rear frame crossmember. I had to cut out the offending area of the bed(goodbye nice paint !). I made up some brackets to reinforce the cut area and touched them up to match. The bed inner framing itself was about three inches too far forward so none of the holes lined up. Also no provision was made to attach the rear of the bed using the original brackets Ford used in 1932. I made up 2 brackets to attach the rear of the box to the original rear brackets. I drilled 2 holes in the frame using the holes in the bed as a template.
All in all it looks great but after a lot of work/rework on my part.
Just the facts.

Thanks Phil. I am going to check hole alignment on my 36 bed floor today or tomorrow and will report back... hopefully with good news.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #12
Krylon32

After reading some of the above posts I must have gotten lucky as my Mack Hils 32 bed bolted right up (even after taking 10 inches out of the rear of the bed. Ended up 61 inches long) using all of the original holes and the original style brackets that bolt to the rear frame horns. My box was square and did not have any interference problems with the cross members on my Cornhusker chassis. Also my wood was of good quality as were the polished SS bed strips.

Last edited by Krylon32; 01-25-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #13
sidevalve8ba

I had exactly the opposite experience from 32phil on the shorty '32 bed I bought from Mack. This was maybe ten years ago though if that may make a difference. But the shipping rate was reasonable, the $150 crating fee was well worth it as it arrived in excellent condition and the crate was super strong. I was very pleased with how well the bed mounted to my chassis and all the bolt holes lined up correctly. It was not an inexpensive item but it was well made, the service was good and it fit well. I don't think I could have asked for more. I am still very satisfied with mine.

Last edited by sidevalve8ba; 01-26-2021 at 10:19 AM.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #14
Bob NH

There is another option for bed wood kits. I only needed stainless but he does many varieties and all kinds of different wood as well. I bought stainless bed slide strips and he punched the bolt holes exactly where I had specified, very nice. Check out Bruce Horkey wood bed parts . Phone is , 507-8321-5625 You guys are better off using Mack Hills products, I bought bed sides and head board from a company in Ohio and both sides were warped just about mid way. I made my own Oak sub frame thinned down to 5/8" thick. Pictures if you like ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #15
29A

I guess it's a try it and see thing, not many choices on beds and parts. Even thru eckler's and C and G they seem to get their orders filled from Mack Hils. I called Mack Hils and was told 20 weeks to get one assembled. Would be 4-6 weeks to get a kit together. Am thinking about the kit, but would need to learn to properly rivit.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #16
29A

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold360 View Post
I’ll be honest here. I’m not impressed with Mack Hils. I just received parts from Mack Hils for my ‘36. All the parts look good except for the wood underlayment. I probably won’t even use the wood and as of now I plan to make the wood myself. The cuts look like the person who did it just didn’t care and all the cuts are this crappy (see picture). Also, I was surprised the metal bed floor holes weren’t punched out though. That’s not a big deal.

... and while I’m being honest, watch out for their shipping charges. For a bed floor tin and the wood, they wanted over $1000 plus $150 crating fee. I’m in WA, so you may fair better being in CO. I purchased my bed parts from Ecklers, which still come direct from Mack Hils, but shipping was about $200 plus not crating fee.

The problem is that there is really nobody else making these parts so not much competition in the truck bed market. There is certainly room for improvement on all the products I’ve received from them, especially the bed wood, but it’s what’s out there. Please know, this is intended to help and not discourage you.

Good luck.
I am thinking about going and getting it myself. Their beds look good, but see no excuse for the cutting on the wood. I appreciate all the input and help.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #17
OldGold360

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29A View Post
I guess it's a try it and see thing, not many choices on beds and parts. Even thru eckler's and C and G they seem to get their orders filled from Mack Hils. I called Mack Hils and was told 20 weeks to get one assembled. Would be 4-6 weeks to get a kit together. Am thinking about the kit, but would need to learn to properly rivit.
I learned that you get cheaper shipping, no crate fee, and they’ll match the price Mack Hils has if you go thru Ecklers... call each of them though to get shipping quotes. I didn’t place my order online. It saved me nearly $1k in shipping/crating fees.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #18
29A

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold360 View Post
I learned that you get cheaper shipping, no crate fee, and they’ll match the price Mack Hils has if you go thru Ecklers... call each of them though to get shipping quotes. I didn’t place my order online. It saved me nearly $1k in shipping/crating fees.
I will call them and check. Thanks
Old 01-30-2021, 12:58 PM   #19
40larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave collette View Post
I bought bed floor for my 1940 pickup from them.I was impressed with the quality of the product and the great help in letting me know how to pickup the bottom at there site.They are super to deal with.

When I bought Mack Hils sheet metal bed floor for my 1940 pickup about 20 years ago the stampings for the special bolts that attach the floor to the frame were all located wrong and I had to cut them all out and re-position them correctly. Also remember that it took some shrinking along the back edge to get everything to lay flat. Maybe he fixed these problems by the time you bought your floor.
40larry
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:44 PM   #20
OldGold360

I am working on my ‘36 pickup bed right now. The only part that is new on my box is the steel bed floor that is Mack Hils brand. This thing is a $350 piece of scrap. The holes do not line up with the threaded holes in the subframe. I’m sure these work fine for their complete beds, but this might take more trouble than it’s worth when replacing just the original floor tin. If I don’t just make a new floor myself, I would have to do what 40Larry did to relocated the holes.