Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Body reconstruction question...Brent?

My '31 deluxe delivery was in pretty good shape other than the top where the roof wasIt ah rusted bad under the fabric and everything above the drip rail had to be replaced. Due to the poor condition, I was not able to observe how some of this went together, notably where the roof panel above the door meets the quarter panel above the drip rail. Were these sop welded together perhaps??. I bought the panels above the door for the sedans that are available and just deepend them vertically for the DD but the lip that would butt to the quarter panel is quite small, >1/4". Not big enough to put bolts through so how is it to be assembled??. Also, while I'm at it, wit regards to putting the body back on the frame, do I put the green woven fabric on the frame under the splash apron and then the rubber pads under each body bolt?. I know that the old rubber pads were stuck to the wood rails but am unsure about the area of the splash aprons.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Body reconstruction question...Brent?

I will see what pics I have of that area. Yes, they were spot welded. Send me a PM by sending an e-mail and I will forward pictures that I have. Posting here will likely drop the resolution too much.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
Gary WA

Thanks to bob Johnson. photo's on his site, other vehicles,http://www.modelahouse.com/cgi-bin/pictures
Old 12-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Thanks to bob Johnson. photo's on his site, other vehicles,http://www.modelahouse.com/cgi-bin/pictures
Thanks for that. Doesn't show the area that I need but does show that I created myself a WHOLE lot more work. When I extended the panel above the door, I added the sheet to the wrong place so now I have to cut it all apart and rebuild . Oh well, better to find out now than after it's all done.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I will see what pics I have of that area. Yes, they were spot welded. Send me a PM by sending an e-mail and I will forward pictures that I have. Posting here will likely drop the resolution too much.
So I guess it's safe to assume that the piece above the door is spot welded to the 1/4 panel before the 1/4 is hung on the wood skeleton?. I'm thinking to have both pieces installed separate, placed correctly then spot weld where i can, then remove and finish the spot welding and reinstall??.