Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default New baby 1953 Merc update

Ah yes.....a new old car. Had to replace the front shocks. Looks like the originals were still on the car, the fronts anyway. Now the dead #6 cylinder saga. I'll be taking it to a guy who knows these engines and who has a Steller rep. Hopefully, it's nothing too major. Stuck valve maybe. Zero compression as I've talked about.

I haven't driven the car since I had the PVC valve replace the old crankcase vent tube, so taking the car to get the 4 shocks replaced.....and to put Type F tranny fluid in her, and remove the new stuff ( you know, the long thread we all had a couple of weeks back) about a mile down the road she starts smoking out the exhaust, you know, like following a car with shot rings.....nothing cooler than driving down the road polluting everyone behind you.

So I pull into the garage to get the shocks done and Kenny, my old car guy, who does some of the work I prefer not to do, is there and I ask him, how come this car is smoking so damn much now when it didn't driving 40 miles when I picked her up from the guy I bought it off off. He says it because we put that PVC valve on and the bad cylinder is feeding stuff back through the carb and it's all going out the exhaust. Great.....and why I'm getting this fixed soon.

So on the way home after getting new shocks, she rides real nice now, but it's starting to run like crap.....no doubt fouling all the plugs now with stuff feeding all the good cylinders, not helping the carb out either, I'm sure, but thank god, it was only a couple of miles to my place. I'll be flat beading the car to the machine shop flathead guru, when I do. It's about 15 miles and I don't think the car would make it, unless I pull the PVC valve and put the crankcase tube back in.

If it's not one thing......it's something else.
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc update

I would check over the PCV installation, sounds like there may be an issue with how it is plumbed.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #3
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
I would check over the PCV installation, sounds like there may be an issue with how it is plumbed.
I agree. The PCV is probably pulling oil splash from somewhere in the crankcase. It's highly unlikely that a dead cylinder could cause that much smoke.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
19Fordy

Eliminate the PCV set up and see what happens.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Make sure the transmission is not leaking oil onto the exhaust. That will smoke too.

Hopefully the engine is OK. Excessive blow by from the rings will push a lot of oil vapor into a PCV system even when it is functioning normally. A person can take the valve out and plug the manifold vacuum off then run it to see if there is any pressure coming from the crankcase to test.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote