Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #21
captndan

Default Re: 1931 Roadster Standard

And you might be too old to chase chicks anyway.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #22
Mike

I have a 30 standard roadster and I like the added head room because the windshield is taller then the deluxe model
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #23
Keith True

I may have looked at this car a few years ago.It was in a storage trailer,body was sitting on the frame,the fenders and doors were not on it at the time.I do remember the top irons were there though.It wasn't a collection of parts,it was a car that had been taken apart.The engine had been done by Knight engineering in Rowley Mass,and never fired.I think the owner was still alive at the time,but was near the end.They wanted to sell it before he passed to save the hassle of dealing with it later.Then the owner passed and it was all put on hold.Then again it could be a completely different car.Last I heard the one I looked at was in the Litchfield area.I looked at it with somebody that liked mine and wanted one like it.He passed on it because he didn't want to build a car from scratch.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #24
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Quote:
Knight engineering in Rowley Mass
Now there's a name that I've not heard of in a long time. Remember Knight (forgot his first name)when he was quite young and recently out of vocational school sometime around year 1970. He showed up at a meet in Massachusetts with a beat-up Model A Ford sedan having a freshly overhauled "balanced" engine. It was the first one of those that any of us had seen. The car sat there percolating oh so smoothly. After that, he set up a small company to custom rebuild engines.

Is Knight still around? Even back forty or so years ago, to have Knight do a balanced Model A Ford engine was expensive.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #25
Keith True

I'm thinking Knight closed up between 15-20 years ago.I remember they had an ad in Hemmings for 365 engine cores to sell.The guy I used for babbit over in Claremont had over 600 engines in his barns before he died.The barn was up the road from his shop,and if strangers were asking if he had any engines to sell he would send them up there,telling them to take a look and see if they could find one in there.It was quite a sight to see nothing but engines as far as you could see in that dark barn.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #26
JonC

Keith, I think your right about the car, this was in the Litchfield area. It is quite a project and all that nice work on the chassis will need to be done again. The motor turns over well so I am hopeful it is ok. All the primer surfaces of the body are now rust, but a lot of great parts are there. This is par for the course for me I seem to attract the worst projects and pay the most money for them. It's OK my grandsons,twins are 1 in mid October so I have a few years to get it ready. All kids deserve a ride in a rumble seat don't you think.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote