Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
zzlegend

Default Re: The making of a cylinder head

Very nice George. Hope you keep us updated until its completed. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
George Miller

Will do
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #23
George Miller

What is approx c/r you're shooting for?
Would this work on a "driver" and approx cost if making more than one?
__________________________________________________ _______________

Approx c/r 7-1
Would this work on a drive. yes
don't know the cost This will be the only one.

Last edited by George Miller; 08-05-2010 at 06:29 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #24
Larry Brumfield

Hey George, I think you're worth about 75 dollars an hour.

Keep track of all your hours until you are completely finished and see what it comes out to. Should be interesting.

Larry B.

P.S. I'd like to see an overhead made with Chrysler's Hemi design.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #25
George Miller

Re: The making of a cylinder head
Hey George, I think you're worth about 75 dollars an hour.

Keep track of all your hours until you are completely finished and see what it comes out to. Should be interesting.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Larry That is a good idea already have 14 hours.
Maybe hemi next time

Last edited by George Miller; 08-05-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: add more
Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #26
tuneman

Beautiful work
My question is what gasket are you going to use
to seal the head to the block? This looks like pretty simple straight forward machineing work! Might have to geta couple of my friends and try this. Also where would i get al block ,and what would be cost?
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brumfield View Post
P.S. I'd like to see an overhead made with Chrysler's Hemi design.
Do you really think it would perform that great? I was under the impression that hemispherical combustion chambered engines actually made their horsepower at higher RPMs, --which the typical Model A/B short block is not fond of. I would think a head copied from the Vortec design which creates its power in the low to mid-range (4k or less) would be better suited. Maybe not??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
Flathead

A Flathead can make good power at low RPM too!
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #29
MikeK

With no castings and no multi-axis CNC how will you get flow shape contours into the ports? That would be an awful lot of die-sinker type of hand work, measuring, and matching with burrs and an air grinder.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #30
Frank Miller

Brent,
It is my understanding that the hemi allowed for bigger valves in a given cylinder diameter. I guess this would be advantageous at high RPM. But the hemi is really not a good design as far as combustion and flame travel are concerned. This is one reason Harley went to a bathtub design in the Evo motor when it discontinued the shovelhead. Builders of old shovelheads go to a 2 plug per cylinder configuration to compensate for this. The new Dodge hemi's have 2 plugs per cylinder also. I think it is a marketing thing more than an efficient design. Of course I would imagine that all out drag racing at 1 rpm before everything self destructs is a different story.
Frank Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #31
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Do you really think it would perform that great? I was under the impression that hemispherical combustion chambered engines actually made their horsepower at higher RPMs, --which the typical Model A/B short block is not fond of. I would think a head copied from the Vortec design which creates its power in the low to mid-range (4k or less) would be better suited. Maybe not??

In my opinion the hemispherical combustion chamber is the best design for OHV heads regardless of the RPM. The design was used on engines in the late 1940's and earlier. Chrysler engineers proved in a lab experiment on a one cylinder engine that the Hemi design with its superior air flow and a compression ratio of 7:1 beat the L-head which required a compression ratio of 10:1 to achieve the same results.

Of course we're talking about an OHV but it also relates to flat head design. The above is an example of what I continually explain to people when they tell me that my 5.9 head or my 6.5 head must not produce as much power as old so-in-so's 6 to 1 head or 7 to 1 head or whatever simply because the compression ratio number is bigger. Not so. The air flow can make all the difference to a point where the compression ratio numbers are practically meaningless.

Of course the best power is not the result of the head alone. Valve size, cam design, manifold design, carburetor size, etc., etc. all combine to determine the ultimate outcome.

BUT, the head's combustion chamber design and air flow characteristics must nurture it all to make it happen.

Larry B.

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 08-05-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #32
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
A Flathead can make good power at low RPM too!
Are you implying the same as an OHV?

You may be right on that Larry as I don't have much experience in hemi chamber design except to know what we observed in kart racing.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #33
George Miller

Default Todays update

cc the heads, they are about 9-1 a little more than I want. Started the intake ports. They are a little hard because we have push rod holes and head bolts in the way. But that is what makes it fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cylinder head2 001.jpg (53.1 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg cylinder head2 002.jpg (73.5 KB, 227 views)
Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #34
George Miller

With no castings and no multi-axis CNC how will you get flow shape contours into the ports? That would be an awful lot of die-sinker type of hand work, measuring, and matching with burrs and an air grinder.
__________________________________________________ ___

What you say is true, but my head comes apart so I can machine it when they are apart. I used dowel pins so it can be put back together like it was before it is taken apart.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #35
George Miller

Of course the best power is not the result of the head alone. Valve size, cam design, manifold design, carburetor size, etc., etc. all combine to determine the ultimate outcome.

Yes it takes it all to make it run fast. I agree getting the air in the chambers does the most good. If you get more air in does that raise the running cylinder pressure. I'm just a old country boy, wasn't that good in school.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #36
MrTube

Arn't Duesenberg J heads from the 20's and 30's also hemispherical as well as many air plane engines?

To my knowledge Chrysler came up with the name "hemi" not the actual design.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #37
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post

Yes it takes it all to make it run fast. I agree getting the air in the chambers does the most good. If you get more air in does that raise the running cylinder pressure. I'm just a old country boy, wasn't that good in school.
George,
Is this easier than making a banger head from a V8 head? I've spoken to Frick and he required big $$$$ for any of a dozen different OHV heads that he showed me. Your work/skill makes us envious. Keep up your great work! Rick
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #38
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Brent,
It is my understanding that the hemi allowed for bigger valves in a given cylinder diameter. I guess this would be advantageous at high RPM. But the hemi is really not a good design as far as combustion and flame travel are concerned. This is one reason Harley went to a bathtub design in the Evo motor when it discontinued the shovelhead. Builders of old shovelheads go to a 2 plug per cylinder configuration to compensate for this. The new Dodge hemi's have 2 plugs per cylinder also. I think it is a marketing thing more than an efficient design. Of course I would imagine that all out drag racing at 1 rpm before everything self destructs is a different story.
Hi Frank

There have been three generations of Hemi's built by Chrysler. The last one you speak of with two plugs was done mainly to satisfy the environmentalists (as they contemplate environmental issues and what's best for you and me while smoking their reefers). The two plugs shorten the flame travel which is supposed to lead to more consistent combustion and reduce emissions.

The combustion and flame travel in the Hemi are excellent. Moreover, the hemispherical or bowl shape allows the arrangement of the valves to be at an angle and this allows for huge air flow gains and also larger valves. It is, however, more sensitive to detonation because there is minimal quench but this can be corrected with higher octane. In addition, to help with complete burning the spark plug is centrally located so the flame will uniformly burn around the hemispherical shape. Also, the hemi or bowl shape allows the use of dome shaped pistons to adjust the compression ratio.

Larry B.

P.S. Are you still working with your b buddy at work? I'd be interested to know what he thinks of the current President, czars, etc.. But no discussion here, thanks.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #39
George Miller

My question is what gasket are you going to use
to seal the head to the block? This looks like pretty simple straight forward machineing work! Might have to geta couple of my friends and try this. Also where would i get al block ,and what would be cost?
__________________________________________________ __
Go on line to SM speedy metals or call 1-866-938-6061
price 6061-T6511 about $400 7075-T6 about $860
I might try a head gasket from Miller high speed, Like the name.
Most of the time I use soft copper and O ring the head.

Last edited by George Miller; 08-05-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: forgot some thing
Old 08-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #40
George Miller

Is this easier than making a banger head from a V8 head? I've spoken to Frick and he required big $$$$ for any of a dozen different OHV heads that he showed me. Your work/skill makes us envious. Keep up your great work! Rick
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Good question, I'm not sure it is not easy putting a olds 455 head on a, A engine. you have to move the mounting bolts which end up in the water jacket. Same way with the push rod holes, weld in a spacer block and stop exhaust from going through the center of the head.

Bill Stipe Put a chev v8 head on a Model A he had to do about the same.
We will find out when we are done which is easier. I'm thinking it is a 80 hour job to make this head. That is why Frick has to have big money.