Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2021, 08:03 AM   #21
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Cam clean-up?

Most shops have crank polishers, I'd try that on several lpbes just to see what the lobe looked like, I don't think pitting would hurt the lifter just hold alittle more oil. I sue 45 LB spring pressure on all my street engines, including the L100. Most street engines never see 4k revs. JMO
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #22
Bored&Stroked

No chance that I would run it "as is" - have it reground and know that the lobes are right and that you're putting a part in your engine that won't wear out . . . or wear things out that rub against it - the lifters.

I'd contact Pete and see what his thoughts are as far as a good profile . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:03 PM   #23
5851a

I wouldn't want to try that in an engine I was rebuilding. There must be someone that has an 8CM left over from when they wanted a lumpy idle.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:24 PM   #24
GB SISSON

I get it and don't want to risk using it as is.... I bought the std 4" crank over in Friday Harbor for 300 bucks. I think it was like 250.00 to have it ground. I think it's worth sending the cam out for a pro job. I will contact Pete. Just a side note with Ol Ron's comment and my old hit n miss. This one lunger was stuck solid when it was given to me in '87. Heat, diesel, heat, rinse, repeat I eventually got it free. I bought a 6" hone and started honing it, but there were some pretty bad pits in the cyl wall. I called a guy I had met through Hemmings Motor News to discuss this matter. He said as long as the pits don't connect, just randomly occurring, they didn't hurt a thing, just a bunch of little oil resevoirs. He recounted that years back when racing air cooled VWs they would dimple the cylinder walls with a dremel tool for just that reason. I run this engine for four days in August at about 75 rpm and no load. Different story than what I hope to do with the woodie. My wife has never been to Yellowstone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olga Store.JPG (133.9 KB, 242 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:27 PM   #25
cas3

Great lookin truck GB, take the wife to Yellowstone in it, remember life is short, grab it while you can
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:31 AM   #26
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I get it and don't want to risk using it as is.... I bought the std 4" crank over in Friday Harbor for 300 bucks. I think it was like 250.00 to have it ground. I think it's worth sending the cam out for a pro job. I will contact Pete. Just a side note with Ol Ron's comment and my old hit n miss. This one lunger was stuck solid when it was given to me in '87. Heat, diesel, heat, rinse, repeat I eventually got it free. I bought a 6" hone and started honing it, but there were some pretty bad pits in the cyl wall. I called a guy I had met through Hemmings Motor News to discuss this matter. He said as long as the pits don't connect, just randomly occurring, they didn't hurt a thing, just a bunch of little oil resevoirs. He recounted that years back when racing air cooled VWs they would dimple the cylinder walls with a dremel tool for just that reason. I run this engine for four days in August at about 75 rpm and no load. Different story than what I hope to do with the woodie. My wife has never been to Yellowstone!

make sure you get the actual 8CM grind and not some generic flathead grind. There are differences!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:35 AM   #27
Mart

Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:21 AM   #28
sidevalve8ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Great lookin truck GB, take the wife to Yellowstone in it, remember life is short, grab it while you can
cas3, you said a mouthful there!
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #29
Russ/40

Photo #1 tells me...... no go! Way beyond garbage.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #30
Jack E/NJ

You mean this one with all the little oil reservoirs that GB pointed out? Like PeteVS, I'd give it a go anyway. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:20 PM   #31
tubman

I like the "oil reservoirs" on the lobes.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #32
GB SISSON

Dang it you guys really know how to confuse a guy. Are these cams hardened on the surface, like maybe I'm past the hard outer shell? This photo depicts a quick pass on a pretty coarse wire wheel on a bench grinder. I have 2 sets of adj lifters, one from a swap-meet, the other from an 8ba I tore down. They look old and hollow and 'johnson-like'. I did my 5 lb-lbs flour sack test (60 inch lbs) and about half need a squeeze in the vice. A sharp file on the bottom says they are very hard on that surface...My jailbars have fat fenders and going back 'in' if original parts fail is miserable. My McGuyver side says run the pits, but my 67 year old aching back and shoulder side says use some covid check to do this part right. My current project has enough McGuyver to make the TV version break out in a cold sweat.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #33
cadillac512

Hi G.B.
My 2cents....listen to your aching back and shoulders. You'll be glad you did.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:33 PM   #34
Ol' Ron

Best lubricated cam on the market, last forever.
Gramps
PS Polish it first!!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:51 PM   #35
GB SISSON

So you CAN polish a turd?
Old 04-02-2021, 02:32 AM   #36
Mart

If you're havering towards giving it a go, the base circles are not loaded at all so can have pits, the opening side of the lobe is most heavily loaded, so ideally you'd like any pitting there to be minimal. the closing side of the lobe is loaded, but not so heavily so may tolerate heavier pitting.
So how does it stand up to a close inspection of just the lobes, with an emphasis on the opening side?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #37
Ol' Ron

I except your criticism, However, I think it's based on aesthetics, not mechanical facts. The declivities offer no impairment to the lifters. Aesthetics is the most expensive part of this hobby and offers little or no improvement to power or economy. I just like to help people.
Gramps
Old 04-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #38
Russ/40

When pitting is so extreme as to cross the contact surface, your not talking oil carrying any longer, your talking running a rasp on your lifters. It's crazy!
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #39
Ol' Ron

It's obvious to the amount of pitting you can except. I also do this to rustry crankshafts as well. I suppose it's a judgment call, which is based on experience.
Gramps
Send me the cam,I;ll clean it uo and we canconsider if it good enough to run, or just a turd??
No Charge.
G
Old 04-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #40
bobH

Way to go, Ron.... My experience (though not as much as yours), agrees with yours. My only caveat is that I would never used it on a customer job. But, for myself, what the heck. I've had REALLY good luck using sub-standard, pitted parts, as long as they were genuine, original, Ford-script parts.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote