Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Who's gonna fill their shoes?

Every once in a while I look at this video and I think, not of country music and what's important in the music world, but I wonder Who is Actually gonna fill our shoes. Our 'ford shoes, our 'liking old car shoes'...I'm not gonna this say this song changed my life , but lets just give it a watch. It is one of my favorites and who doesn't relate to an old white haired guy in stained coveralls. He saw it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxHjRqnY7zA
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Who's gonna fill their shoes?

Thanks GB, that was an enjoyable video. That video reminded me of my days working at the Custom Coach shop. We had some of the biggest Country Western stars as customers in the late 1970's.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:05 PM   #3
19Fordy

Truth is, our empty "Ford shoes" shoes will never be filled, just replaced by the newer style. Time just marches on and history recedes, replaced by the new.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:46 PM   #4
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Truth is, our empty "Ford shoes" shoes will never be filled, just replaced by the newer style. Time just marches on and history recedes, replaced by the new.

I hate to say it but this is true in my experience. There will be a few trying to not keep this thing from becoming air ride and non-flatmotors. But we are getting thin. Things change, who knows in 5-10 yrs, it may be all the rage. It will be fewer, maybe just collectors.

But lets face it, you guys are going to be around for a while.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-01-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #5
mfirth

"A time and a season"........
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
Frank Miller

We have lost so many this past year. i think back to the guys gone over the years right on this forum. It is possible for a mechanic to be in the business for 40 years and have never worked on points. So many lost skills not carried on. Gerry windle is currently looking for help with the V8 Times. Not just submissions but in case he cannot put an issue together, who can step in.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
flatford8

Gary, a real classic tune....thanks for sharing....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
Als48

Good one, GB.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #9
TJ

Good one GB. Heard this on "Willie's Roadhouse" the other day and had the same thoughts. I do see a few young flathead guys out here., so there may be some hope.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
corvette8n

My 5 y.o. Grandson told me “I really like your car Grandpa”, so far he’s the only one who shows interest, I wish he lived closer so he could help me work on the old car.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
Krylon32

Even though I've been contributing to this old car deal for over 40 years, I'll just be 1 blip on the radar screen when I'm gone. I will continue to do what I do as long as I can but there's no one lining up for me to teach my trade to.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:28 PM   #12
19Fordy

It will go the way of the blacksmith.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:29 AM   #13
GB SISSON

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. We have a successful mobile mechanic here who works out of his truck. Stays real busy, about 45 years old. He brought me a carb from a 46 ford farm truck the heirs wanted to get running. He had 11 years in a certified Audi dealership as a tech and wanted ME to rebuild the carb. This is the guy (me) that has been known to chuck a float needle into an electric drill and hold it about 45 degrees and introduce it to my portable belt sander held upside down in a vice. Heck the needle was 3 sided, so perfect.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #14
Automotive Stud

Well I turn 37 today and I'm pretty hardcore into old Fords. But I have been seeing a lot of good deals on cars lately as the owners pass on or it just gets to be too much to work on them.... It's a shame when the sellers are my age and really don't seem to care about pop's old car.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #15
woodiewagon46

Back in the late '60's and early '70's, when I first got into Model A's, there were about 6 or 7 guy's in my area restoring them. When I got back into street rodding in the late '80's, there were also several guy's in the area building street rods. Now in 2021 there isn't one person in my area thats building or restoring a car. It's simply a sign of the times. The young guy's that are now building the cars that we built, are few and far between.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:34 PM   #16
OldGold360

I just turned 42 last month, so I'm neither young nor am I old. I have been working on vintage cars and machinery since I was 16, professionally for the past 22 years. Even though I have built my fair share of customs and hotrods, I still prefer restorations. I like learning about the history of when you "old timers" (respectfully) were young. I enjoy seeing how things were built in that era, whether it is old metalworking machinery, motorcycles or automobiles. I always enjoyed having conversations with my late grandfather, born in 1916, who was a blacksmith by trade, and listening to stories of his work, his life experiences and his fond memories of all the cars he had owned. I would often accompany him on his trips to visit his many friends and especially enjoyed the shops we would visit, including old car dealerships or his friends radiator shop down the street. He loved his country music, or as he called it "good ol' cow poop" music, including George Jones. I like to think I am a lot like him.... That I inherited a lot of his traits... Maybe it's simply that he significantly influenced my life... or most likely both. I became a metalshaper, I love old country music, I love old cars and I love preserving the history on these old Fords. There are a lot of "younger" guys like me that sincerely wish to carry on what you folks are doing, what you started. Don't lose hope. There will always be enough of us like minded people around, regardless of age, to continue the traditions and respect them enough to preserve them, or at least do our level best to fill your shoes.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #17
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
...There will be a few trying to not keep this thing from becoming air ride and non-flatmotors...
I think you underestimate the younger generations. Go take a look at the HAMB. Flatheads are pretty popular.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #18
Owlseye

I met Ol' possum at Collier Jaguar in Orlando. He had a Jaguar that we worked on and if I remember right he lived near Lakeland at the time. Of course the tag on his car was "No Show". He was a fine Country Gentleman and a pleasure to talk to.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #19
1952henry

I wouldn't panic. Who would think there would be people to "fill the shoes" of those currently capable and certified to operate the old steamers. Take a trip to Rollag, MN. You see a team of teenagers operating the steam traction engines in the parade, plowing, and belted to the pony brake. You see younger folks in the blacksmith shops and sawmills there operating machines from the late 1800s-early 1900s.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #20
5851a

We had a small welding shop in town along side an alley, small building with all kinds of scrap outside. When you went in you couldn't see anything except a light bulb hanging. Stand for awhile and start looking around, they had a belt driven lathe, had to be some kind of forge. There was the biggest anvil I've ever seen attached to a tree stump in the middle of the shop, I believe the floor must have been dirt, an enormous welder. They also had and old portable welding van. Nice guys, just stand there long enough and not interrupt with what you broke and one of them would come over and ask 'What cha got' and weld it for you. All gone now.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #21
flatford8

I have a lot of hope that this little guy (our grandson) will be interested in my old junk...Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93CE7B94-4582-4B01-AD84-7217E338A1E8.jpg (58.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg B6B91A6D-F4F0-4436-AC1C-90A7CC536AB0.jpg (29.2 KB, 3 views)
Billy Joe Shaver

Last edited by flatford8; 03-03-2021 at 04:42 AM.
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #22
mercman from oz

That is cute. Yes, we need to keep training our younger ones if we want our hobby to survive.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #23
53Customline

I worked in Nashville for a while & came up behind George with No Show tags. I think it was a Bentley.
I’m not a spring chicken but got new Grandson which I intend & hope to peak his interest in my 53 Customline.
Family car since 53 originally purchased by his Great Great Grandmother.
I guess up to us to peak the interest in some youngster related or not.
53Customline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:56 PM   #24
GB SISSON

I do know that there are young guys out there that love this stuff. I enjoy watching the many videos of the 'Race of Gentlemen'. They have amazing cars and bikes. It's great some of you have chimed in! Thanks
Old 03-02-2021, 10:24 PM   #25
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
I think you underestimate the younger generations. Go take a look at the HAMB. Flatheads are pretty popular.

I've been on the Hamb since 99. I'm just conveying the feeling of the people around me that are at shows or I meet. There are a few. My old club in Florida was 5 guys. Only 3 of us were committed to build period correct only. We were a small group at most shows around. County I lived in was over a million people.

Mn is streetrod country. Shows I've gone to local here is 97% street rods. The rest is model A / T guys. Handful of flathead hotrodder or restorers.

Always try and talk/network with the flathead nuts when I meet them.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:46 AM   #26
Pdstark

I believe there are a few younger car enthusiasts with a desire to carry on some traditions and styles - but each generation tends to walk in their own shoes - so loss is inevitable. And, I doubt my old Ford will have easy access to gasoline in 25-30 years. Time to start designing the electric flathead.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:39 AM   #27
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdstark View Post
I believe there are a few younger car enthusiasts with a desire to carry on some traditions and styles - but each generation tends to walk in their own shoes - so loss is inevitable. And, I doubt my old Ford will have easy access to gasoline in 25-30 years. Time to start designing the electric flathead.

There is no such thing as an electrical flathead. Gas will be around for a long while. Supply and demand would make gas cheaper as demand is less due to electric and alternative transportation. But the lesser demand will also make it rare and less available to be cheap as no one will want to make it or process it as it's too expensive to do so. Neither is going to happen anytime soon. It's a slow change. So have fun.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:05 AM   #28
Pdstark

Quote:
There is no such thing as an electrical flathead. Gas will be around for a long while. Supply and demand would make gas cheaper as demand is less due to electric and alternative transportation. But the lesser demand will also make it rare and less available to be cheap as no one will want to make it or process it as it's too expensive to do so. Neither is going to happen anytime soon. It's a slow change. So have fun.
The “electric flathead” was a humorous tongue-in-cheek comment intended to address the inevitable demise of the internal combustion engine in cars.
You’re probably right about gas, but lets compare notes in 25 - 30 years. 😊
Old 03-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #29
Will D

Quote:
A little facetious...not Ford but...BEHOLD the Electric Flathead.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/insideev...le-you-up/amp/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210303_061622.jpg (58.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 10:18 PM   #30
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
A little facetious...not Ford but...BEHOLD the Electric Flathead.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/insideev...le-you-up/amp/
I'm just hoping it has a blue tooth speaker snorting out some v twin music hidden in the exhaust.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #31
Tinker

Nice Bike! I'm into hit/miss motors. Once it's running warm, it'll run on motor oil.

1928 witte 3.5hp throttler. Old oil pump rig. Put a couple stacked tractor mufflers on it, otherwise it sounded like a shotgun everytime it fired and you couldn't here it turning.
It'll run about an hour on a soup can of gas and uses a magneto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVnPdRjCU4

Last edited by Tinker; 03-05-2021 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #32
GB SISSON

And mine... It was given to me in about '87 . Stuck real good and missing head and it's related components. I spun out a wood pattern for a new head on my wood lathe. I had it cast in iron at a manhole cover foundry. An 80 year old neighbor who was a retired machinist did the machine work using caterpillar valves I had. At 34 years old, I guess I was the guy who was gonna fill his shoes. But don't get me wrong, I am no machinist. But there is NO Doubt I love old machinery. A spectator took this video unbeknownst to me and years later I found it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5EaCZk5vo
Old 03-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #33
Graeme / New Zealand

Our Ford shoes will be filled by electric, guess that is progress. ICE replaced horse and cart and that wasn't accepted at first. Suppose we can count ourselves lucky to have enjoyed the best of those years because generations to come wont be able to and that is not too far in the future.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #34
Will D

Quote:
Nice Bike! I'm into hit/miss motors. Once it's running warm, it'll run on motor oil.

1928 witte 3.5hp throttler. Old oil pump rig. Put a couple stacked tractor mufflers on it, otherwise it sounded like a shotgun everytime it fired and you couldn't here it turning.
It'll run about an hour on a soup can of gas and uses a magneto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVnPdRjCU4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
And mine... It was given to me in about '87 . Stuck real good and missing head and it's related components. I spun out a wood pattern for a new head on my wood lathe. I had it cast in iron at a manhole cover foundry. An 80 year old neighbor who was a retired machinist did the machine work using caterpillar valves I had. At 34 years old, I guess I was the guy who was gonna fill his shoes. But don't get me wrong, I am no machinist. But there is NO Doubt I love old machinery. A spectator took this video unbeknownst to me and years later I found it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5EaCZk5vo

Speaking of hit/miss motors, have you fellas seen this guy on the YouTube?

Here a link to a small clip: https://youtu.be/PwW6y23a8fU

Maybe electric will fall flat on its face once they realize the mass accumulating battery waste is worse of an impact on the earth that burning fuel. Long live the flathead.

My 10yr old is showing interest in our old Fords so that's one more to try help carry on. But honestly his heart is set on being a steam locomotive engineer! Told him work might be hard to come by so he figures he'll be a doctor to afford his own branch line. I ask him how he's going to handle the dirty bits a doctor has to deal with, his response: "I'll get the nurse to do that!" Gave me a good chuckle. He could explain the inner/outer workings of a steam engine better than most could understand at 5yrs old, along with correct part names.

Who's gonna fill their shoes? There is hope, even if only a little, there is hope. Our flatheads aren't going away any time soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210305_201646.jpg (74.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 12:03 AM   #35
GB SISSON

Yes, I have seen that video. That guy and his truck are awesome. I know for sure there will be some young'uns left to fill our shoes. I have met every August for 35 years at the Lynden Washington meet of the Puget Sound Antique Tractor and Machinery Association. Looking back we were kids then, and now we are grandparents. It's four days of grease, rust and smoke and letting the kids/grandkids eat 3 hot dogs a day and run free on 80 acres of beautiful showgrounds. The kids pull a small sled with their straight piped garden tractors in the pulls, and fetch us water for running the engines. They will have a lot of iron at their disposal in the years to come. That's a good thing.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:04 AM   #36
tubman

I think the comparison with horses is particularly apt. Although horses have not been an important component of transportation for a century, there are still are plenty of them around. Our cars haven't been important comp0onents for a while either. Horses are now a hobby, just like out cars are. It's true that they are a hobby for the affluent, but let's be frank, most of us are better off than the average person. There are plenty of Tack Shops and feed dealers around most larger metropolitan areas. Horses, as a hobby are not going to disappear anytime in the foreseeable future and neither are "antique cars".

We've all been through "Horse Country" and have seen the opulent stables, horses farms, and large, elegantly fenced pasture areas. I think old cars are even a better hobby than horses and will remain even more popular because you don't have to feed them, exercise them, or clean up after them when they are not being used. I believe quality automobiles will remain high in value for a long time.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:12 AM   #37
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I think the comparison with horses is particularly apt. Although horses have not been an important component of transportation for a century, there are still are plenty of them around. Our cars haven't been important comp0onents for a while either. Horses are now a hobby, just like out cars are. It's true that they are a hobby for the affluent, but let's be frank, most of us are better off than the average person. There are plenty of Tack Shops and feed dealers around most larger metropolitan areas. Horses, as a hobby are not going to disappear anytime in the foreseeable future and neither are "antique cars".

We've all been through "Horse Country" and have seen the opulent stables, horses farms, and large, elegantly fenced pasture areas. I think old cars are even a better hobby than horses and will remain even more popular because you don't have to feed them, exercise them, or clean up after them when they are not being used. I believe quality automobiles will remain high in value for a long time.
Dangit Tubman... That was so very well said and thought out. I understand EXACTLY what you are getting at. A college guy might say that was a very astute observation.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:57 AM   #38
Tinker

I guess I like a little of both and keep my head up. Dig solar, dig flatheads. There is a world with both, always for everything. We be playing chess not checkers. It's not a switch. Best to just care for your neighbor. Save all your parts and sell them to people.

Have a buick 12v gen I can run off my 1927 1.5hp McCormick Deering to charge batteries. I call it my 400lbs gas powered battery charger. A couple solar panels might do it better really. Out side politics, I see no reason I can't have both. It's sad to see Americans get so bent out of shape and even lie about science. One side says we are all going to die, the other says nothing is wrong. I tend to go with George Carlins idea. "Save the earth, who are we? the earth isn't going anywhere... we are" hahaha

GB that's a true Hit/Miss. 6hp? Throttlers hit ever 4 strokes, a hit/miss only hits when the governor rpms are low (the reason for the name hit/miss). That would run a machine shop in the twenties. Cool rig. Dig those old motors.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-06-2021 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #39
GB SISSON

Quote:
I guess I like a little of both and keep my head up. Dig solar, dig flatheads. There is a world with both, always for everything. We be playing chess not checkers. It's not a switch. Best to just care for your neighbor. Save all your parts and sell them to people.

Have a buick 12v gen I can run off my 1927 1.5hp McCormick Deering to charge batteries. I call it my 400lbs gas powered battery charger. A couple solar panels might do it better really. Out side politics, I see no reason I can't have both. It's sad to see Americans get so bent out of shape and even lie about science. One side says we are all going to die, the other says nothing is wrong. I tend to go with George Carlins idea. "Save the earth, who are we? the earth isn't going anywhere... we are" hahaha

GB that's a true Hit/Miss. 6hp? Throttlers hit ever 4 strokes, a hit/miss only hits when the governor rpms are low (the reason for the name hit/miss). That would run a machine shop in the twenties. Cool rig. Dig those old motors.
8hp 6" bore, 12" stroke 2125 lbs. I run it at 75 rpms as an average. It's coasting at about 50 rpm when it finally hits again.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:55 AM   #40
Tinker

Quote:
8hp 6" bore, 12" stroke 2125 lbs. I run it at 75 rpms as an average. It's coasting at about 50 rpm when it finally hits again.

Beautiful piece of machinery.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #41
PeteVS

Quote:
8hp 6" bore, 12" stroke 2125 lbs.
339 cubic inches!
Old 03-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #42
jmerson

That George Jones clip brought tears to my eyes!! Back in the early '50's when I was a teenager, we used to call that Okie Music. It took me about another 40 years to realize just how great that music and what it stood for was. I don't think there will ever be anyone to fill their shoes, or even come close.
IMHO
jmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #43
Tim Ayers

Well, I'm no youngster at 50, but nor am I a blue beard either. My friends and I are certainly willing to "fill their show" per say.

In fact, I spoke to a fellow member yesterday about acquiring a portion of his stock to help me and my friends continue to support our car hobby. There is something nice about have parts "in stock".

I understand there is a fine line between having parts on hand and hoarding, but we hope to find a nice balance for our current and future projects.

The beauty about the internet and social media platforms such as Instagram, etc., many of the parts that were very difficult to find are now a few clicks or posts away. This has been a game changer for many in this hobby.

It also helps with trading since many people, like myself, rather trade than sell. It can be a win/win for both parties.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-09-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #44
SDeviney

I’ll be 26 in April. I went through McPherson College’s automotive restoration program a few years back. I grew up loving post war GM products but was introduced to Model A’s 2 1/2 years ago with a new job. Now I’m wrenching on them 5 days a week and I love it. I’ve recently introduced my two year old nephew to old cars. Whenever I visit him we watch videos of steam tractor, hit and miss engines and the hot rod hill climb. I even got him to say Model A this last weekend. The shoes that need filling are big. But us young kids will try our best to keep these old car on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDeviney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #45
ford38v8

The real difference, as the title of this thread states, is the mentoring that is not available today. Back when we were kids, we thought nothing of tearing into any automotive project we had a mind (or a need) to, because the knowledge we needed to complete the project was right there at the source of parts purchased. The junk yard operator, the auto parts store, even the parts department at new car dealerships could offer advice and tutoring. Today, all that knowledge is gone, and we have only each other to rely on for advice and mentoring. The hobby will go on, but with far fewer owners able to perform their own basic maintenance, let alone repair work.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #46
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
The real difference, as the title of this thread states, is the mentoring that is not available today. Back when we were kids, we thought nothing of tearing into any automotive project we had a mind (or a need) to, because the knowledge we needed to complete the project was right there at the source of parts purchased. The junk yard operator, the auto parts store, even the parts department at new car dealerships could offer advice and tutoring. Today, all that knowledge is gone, and we have only each other to rely on for advice and mentoring. The hobby will go on, but with far fewer owners able to perform their own basic maintenance, let alone repair work.
Interesting take. Sort of related, but I have resisted doing anything related to the CPU's on our daily drivers. I viewed the computer controls as the devil and didn't want to fool with them.

Thank goodness for Youtube and people willing to post tutorials on how to work on the increasing amount of electrical components on cars. I'm no longer reluctant to fool with these components and found it quite easy to do since the scanner will tell you the problem.

It does relate to our old cars for when you can tackle remapping, etc., old cars seem super simple (which in most cases they are). You'd be surprise how many in the hobby post videos related to old Fords on Youtube as well.

Often, I'll bring the laptop into the garage to watch a video of someone doing a repair and follow along as I do the same.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #47
tubman

I will have to say that the information I have received from this and other forums and also "YouTube" is a lot better than I used to get back in the day. Most of my sources back then were, let's say, a bit questionable. They came up with such gems as "don't run thermostats in a flathead" and that 1/8" wall 2X2 tubing was adequate for making a "T" bucket frame. There were others that I have thankfully forgotten.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #48
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Interesting take. Sort of related, but I have resisted doing anything related to the CPU's on our daily drivers. I viewed the computer controls as the devil and didn't want to fool with them.

Thank goodness for Youtube and people willing to post tutorials on how to work on the increasing amount of electrical components on cars. I'm no longer reluctant to fool with these components and found it quite easy to do since the scanner will tell you the problem.

It does relate to our old cars for when you can tackle remapping, etc., old cars seem super simple (which in most cases they are). You'd be surprise how many in the hobby post videos related to old Fords on Youtube as well.

Often, I'll bring the laptop into the garage to watch a video of someone doing a repair and follow along as I do the same.

You're right about the Youtube videos! I've relied on those to work on stuff I never would fool with in my younger days. Still, there's no replacement for the mentoring of the local junk yard mechanic. Those greasers knew everyone's cars inside out, and were happy to educate anyone who had questions.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #49
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
You're right about the Youtube videos! I've relied on those to work on stuff I never would fool with in my younger days. Still, there's no replacement for the mentoring of the local junk yard mechanic. Those greasers knew everyone's cars inside out, and were happy to educate anyone who had questions.
Very true. My dad taught me a lot. He told me stories about working at the local Sinclair shop and "rebuilding" flatheads right on garage floor. Those stories crack me up.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:11 PM   #50
GB SISSON

I have started various threads here on the 'Barn, some interesting builds etc, but this one is really important to me. My 'old country' has been more about Alan, George, Reba, Toby and even back to Hank 2. I remember the Highwaymen and Willie and Ricky Scaggs and Emmy Lou.\, not to mention GLEN CAMPBELL ... But this George Jones I stumbled onto a few years back with the 'since the interstate went through'....I'm so glad it resonates through my Fordbarn friends. Thanks for enjoying what I enjoy. Why do I love that bias ply 6.00 x 16 next to the door of the garage? Looks like the tire swing on the Waltons. Ok, the Waltons had a 6.00 x 20 truck tire from their AA express. Sigh.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:15 PM   #51
Tinker

Waltons had a T truck and john boy had a A. 18-21" wheels/tires.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #52
GB SISSON

Quote:
Waltons had a T truck and john boy had a A. 18-21" wheels/tires.
I beg to differ. It was a 28 AA 1 1/2 ton open express. I have owned two 28 AAs and two 29s. My dad and I watched the show like it was a religion. After the first season I found a 28AA factory stakebed with rear fenders in our hometown and traded the owner for it by building him two 12' flat bottom wood rowboats. These were built in a small barn behind the family home. I was getting 175.00 for a 12 footer back then, and sold 17 of them before I turned 20.. After that transaction all my lumber hauls were made in fine fashion. Funny, five years later I had bought 5 acres on the side of a mountain and purchased a sawmill, which I still have. Raised 4 kids in the house I built and I still live in it. Right down to the thick hand split shakes I made from cedar beach logs. I don't buy my 'recipe' from the Baldwin sisters, I have my own source. Goodnight Mark, Goodnight Cas, Goodnight Tinker, Goodnight Ol Ron, Goodnight Mart.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #53
Gnater

All is not lost...i have a 16 year old nephew who I will will my late fathers '34 roadster to because he's amazed by it.
Gnater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #54
Frank Miller

Off topic a bit but thanks for that hit and miss truck video. My dad is 89 and he really enjoyed it.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #55
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Good one GB. Heard this on "Willie's Roadhouse" the other day and had the same thoughts. I do see a few young flathead guys out here., so there may be some hope.
Hey fellas, Michael Driskell and I are here working on these early Fords. Don't lose all hope.

Seth
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #56
TJ

We have some young guys playing with flatheads in my area too. Some with flathead powered Model As and some with some old V-8s. The problem is these young people have jobs, families, and rent or house payments. Many have the interest, but funds are limited due to priorities. It's up to us old guys to help a little.
Recently I have found that one way to help is to pass on your V-8 Times back issues to them. Another way is to pass on a part or two to help with their project. We all have stuff laying around the garage we will never use and maybe it can help a young person get their car on the road. If we inspire them they will carry on the hobby. Lastly pass on your knowledge and don't be a critic. Doesn't cost a thing and they will come back for more.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote