Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #1
Tod

Default Hardtimes aluminum block first picture.

Here is a shot of the roughed deck (still .015 high) with lightly spot drilled head bolt holes to check for locations with a gasket. It looked good. The plan is to take it one tool at a time as I get time and prove out production programming. I had to move the machining from a Mitsubishi machine to a Fanuc machine so I need to re-do the programming. The first blocks were not machined in this machine. This is the first one to see action in the Toyoda. I have machined heads in this one but nothing else yet.

Tod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161011_163343.jpg (40.8 KB, 445 views)
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: Hardtimes aluminum block first picture.

Tod,

I have some questions,..

1. You going to use the small ledge at the bottom too stop the sleeve at the bottom?..OR
2. Are you using the large step at the top to stop the sleeve?
3. You going too leave the sleeve "positive" .002" - .004" at the top?
4. The head and main bolt holes,...in the original depth or deeper in the crankcase?
5. What wall sleeve?

Thanks,
Dudley

Last edited by d.j. moordigian; 10-12-2016 at 09:58 AM.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Here is a shot of the roughed deck (still .015 high) with lightly spot drilled head bolt holes to check for locations with a gasket. It looked good. The plan is to take it one tool at a time as I get time and prove out production programming. I had to move the machining from a Mitsubishi machine to a Fanuc machine so I need to re-do the programming. The first blocks were not machined in this machine. This is the first one to see action in the Toyoda. I have machined heads in this one but nothing else yet.

Tod
Hey Tod,
THANKS, exciting to see some of your work, and to read/learn about how you plan it out and proceed !
If I understand what you are doing ,i.e.- setting up so that all following blocks, of a kind, can then be routinely done with accuracy

Please post more pics as you progress, so that we can enjoy your talents/art ! I think that there are a lot of guys who are hoping that your product IS real, but that they are cautious and want to put their 'finger in the wound', before believing/commiting to purchases . This is reasonable human behavior, IMO.

BTW...your heads are looking GREAT !! Any pic yet to show the 'winfield' word in that head ?

WHOOHOO , no more rust in block....EVER !!!!!

Last edited by hardtimes; 10-12-2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: ............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Tod

Today I was able to get all the head bolts drilled and tapped and the valve guides drilled. I was running new headers in another machine and a guy came by to pick up 2 Winfield heads and a header. Tomorrow will be more of the same. Program some, run some headers and cut some on the block.

I still have to run to my aluminum foundry with the next block mold and have them make a few Winfield molds.

Tod
Old 10-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Tod, wish I was your neighbor so I could learn about foundry methods, and watch your machining.

I just returned from a 4 day outing with our Model A club where we went on day trips Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The first place we visited was where they make several different forms of fiberglass, such as railings, hand rails, fences, structural forms, tool handles, etc. That was very interesting to see how the strands and liquid get drawn together through forms to make all the different shapes. No pictures were allowed inside the factory though.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
waxhead

Tod, have any of the engine builders out there contacted you about getting your blocks, so that they can start offering engines with your new blocks?? Seems like a real missed opportunity if they haven't contacted you yet.
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhead View Post
Tod, have any of the engine builders out there contacted you about getting your blocks, so that they can start offering engines with your new blocks?? Seems like a real missed opportunity if they haven't contacted you yet.
Honestly, I don't remember. If there has been it hasn't been many.

I'm working on the front and rear today while I machine more heads and headers. Things are going nicely. I hit a delay, though, because I ordered a tool and when it came in today it was the wrong one. Always something.

Tod
Old 10-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
mshmodela

I cannot imagine any builder who would not jump at the chance to build your blocks... Yes, there is some risk but not any more than rebuilding an 85+ year old cast iron ones and I would suspect likely less risk.. Than again I'm not an engine builder and it's just an ignorant opinion based upon what new technology in casting and machining can do vs. years of old.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
Juggler

Build it and they will come...
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote